Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I still wish they had had at least a brief appearance somewhere for Robin and Rizzo. (Though maybe Rizzo was in the background somewhere and I just didn't notice him.)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Another quick question: Does anyone know the quote, verbatim, that Walter says near the beginning of the movie. I'm gonna screw it up, but it's something along the lines of "As long as their are singing frogs, bears that tell jokes, life is wonderful." That's definitely not how it goes, but it's something along those lines. Help me out!
I think he also mentioned Swedish Chefs and boomerang fish.

With Rizzo only being in the background a few times and no lines, this must be the first Muppet movie where Lips has more screentime than Rizzo (though Lips doesn't have any lines, ether... I think Rizzo just barely had more screentime in GMC but could be wrong). I wonder if Steve Whitmire performed Lips in any of his scenes (I doubt he did in any scene where Kermit and Lips appear on-screen at once, he would have been performing Kermit).
Ialso wonder which character Steve physically performed (Link or Beaker) in the "Smells Like Nirvanna" sequence (I'd like to think he was Beaker, since he has more experience as that character).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Good explanation on the Muppet Theater thing too- that makes more sense now. I guess I just tended to think of the Muppet Theater being the same as Muppet Studios, etc. but I can see the difference now.
I thought that the studio and theater were next door to each other, not neccessarily connected.

I still wish they had had at least a brief appearance somewhere for Robin and Rizzo. (Though maybe Rizzo was in the background somewhere and I just didn't notice him.)
They were both there at the end when Kermit made his big speech, and Rizzo (and the other rats) was with Beauregard during the final song.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Rizzo is at least at the end number. I saw Robin in the lobby where Kermit is telling everyone he believed in them (either the first or second "I believe in you"). It seemed as though he was on someone's shoulder.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I also may be totally off but I thought for a brief second I actually saw David Langston Smyrl- Mr. Handford on Sesame Street- there with his family watching the Muppet Telethon. I have a feeling that's just wishful thinking on my part, but it would be awesome if it were the case. I still wish they could have gotten the Elmo cameo they were wanting to do- but in lieu of a Sesame Street Muppet:laugh:, a Sesame Street human would also be a really cool cameo.:wisdom:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Rizzo is at least at the end number. I saw Robin in the lobby where Kermit is telling everyone he believed in them (either the first or second "I believe in you"). It seemed as though he was on someone's shoulder.
Okay- cool! I thought maybe I had glimpsed Robin in there somewhere, but then I wasn't sure. Thanks for the confirmation. And good to know Rizzo was in the closing number.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Anyone else find it odd that Thog was among the relatively small group of characters in the office when they get their chance to do the telethon? Pretty much everyone else there got a scene earlier in the film and had been well-known to casual fans (well, fans would have known who Walter and Miss Poggy were by that scene, unless they entered the theater so late that that's the first scene they saw), and fans would know that the Muppets have many generic rats. Thog would sort of stick-out, and with such a small group, I feel they should have included a few more obscure characters in that scene (I'm thinking Nigel, Lips, maybe Wayne and Wanda). They also could have included Robin, Link, and Dr. Strangepork there.

beaker

Reaction score
I feel together again would have been an appropriate song for when they were cleaning up
Totally, though We Built This City in retrospect fits. Im glad Together Again was referenced. But no 'movin right along?' Thats the second best song from the first movie:smile:

I dont know why people were worried about anything inappropriate or distasteful being in the film...I mean I know Sarah Marshall was quite a naughty film. But Segel from the getgo said he was going to make the most anti cynical movie possible. I love how every opportunity they get, they make fun of how jaded and horrible the world is and how much the world needs the muppets

"The Moopets are a hard cynical act for a hard cynical world", Richman says with a sneer. The Selena Gomez remarks also reflect the flippant idiot attitude of the smart phone twitter generation who have no patience.

beaker

Reaction score
Anyone else find it odd that Thog was among the relatively small group of characters in the office when they get their chance to do the telethon? Pretty much everyone else there got a scene earlier in the film and had been well-known to casual fans (well, fans would have known who Walter and Miss Poggy were by that scene, unless they entered the theater so late that that's the first scene they saw), and fans would know that the Muppets have many generic rats. Thog would sort of stick-out, and with such a small group, I feel they should have included a few more obscure characters in that scene (I'm thinking Nigel, Lips, maybe Wayne and Wanda). They also could have included Robin, Link, and Dr. Strangepork there.
Oh! Heh, I loved that visual sight gag. How theyre talking to the tv exec in the office, but when the camera pans back to them all the sudden there's Thog and a bunch of characters.

Man, Thog, while he doesn't have any lines, had a TON of screen time. And was Thog truly that enormous in the show? He looks like the size of a small building:smile: Kind of wish there had been Bossmen, I loved how they showed up in VMX.

Also...Behemoth...he gets a number of lines, is in a bunch of scenes. Thats crazy!(or "Gene" as he's called) I havent seen him since Muppets Tonight. Was sad there was barely any Carl since they had built him up in the last couple years. Also Bean and Clifford were MIA. But yeah several years ago, did we ever think wed get a big critically beloved film that had a prominent role for Uncle Deadly and Behemoth? Deadly even has the most pivotal scene at the end...crazy!

Oh and for the hardcore old school TMS-philes out there...that Wayne and Wanda show stealing scene, wow! Bobbins really went all out with the TMS love to say the least. I love how we see one scene with the famous backstage(where the sheep is chowing down on a bucket of papers) Seeing Scooter do his famous "seconds to curtain" door opening was great too.

Again, all eyes and thoughts are now on not just the next film...but a proper return to tv. C'mon ABC, you can do it!

Puckrox

Reaction score
I know it's already been discussed how Rizzo does appear in the background and how they wanted to focus on main/classic TMS characters, but I still wished for more Rizzo. I was so excited for his and Gonzo's reunion. I wasn't expecting anything major, just a hug or something. Oh well. :sigh: