Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

• Oz was great

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Oz was good

Votes: 92 37.1%
  • Oz was disappointing

Votes: 64 25.8%
  • Oz was awful

Votes: 35 14.1%

• Total voters

Erine81981

Reaction score
I loved every part of the speical. I can't nit pick and all because I loved all of it. I kind of wished the EM band had more lines but right now there trying to work that out. Don't put down anything just because of the book or the script. Ya'll (most of ya'll that is) should be asamed of yourself. The Muppets are back on TV and and we should apratie (yea yea I can't spell good) that they have been doing all this for us Muppet fans. What if there was no muppet stuff on the TV. I know that most of ya'll loved seeing all your favorite muppets and loved them to death but your putting it down because they didn't have enough of some characters or the script was just stupid. I hate to say this but I'll be buying all of the muppets stuff to come and don't care what other say. I'll be supporting the muppet all the way.

That Announcer

Reaction score
I... loved it. I think that it was truly better than the Garland version of WoO.

I am in no way sad to say that Pepe had the best line here-
"Whoa... what do these do, hokay?"
"Oh, nothing. Those are my nipples."

"....Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuu! I FEEL DIRTY HOKAY!"

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Beebers said:
The content is part of the reason I felt that Oz was a poor choice as a project for the Muppets, because you cannot tell the story without those scenes and references, melting, poppies and whatnot. It's a weird book to begin with.
You're right, it wasn't the greatest choice of stories to tell. But given that, I think they did a good job with it overall. The melting scene was less traumatic by making it humorous. The flying monkeys from the original that scared us were replaced by the motorcycle gang, etc.

Beebers said:
That said, this film exemplifies the willingness of writers and audiences to settle for low standards indeed.
It did have some lazy writing in it that could have been better. Pepe belching and remarking "What? Did it smell?" for example. And there are things that could have been done much better. But for what it was, a low-budget movie for television on a Friday night it was good. I enjoyed it. I see it as just a beginning of an introduction of the Muppets back to the general public.

I would like to see what they could or would do with an original script (not a remake like Wizard of Oz, Treasure Island, Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life, etc.), a larger budget, and a movie that was targeted for the movie theaters. Perhaps this is just a beginning.

ChellisPal

Reaction score
Ernie, thank you so so much, you said everything I was thinking....
It's enough to get people who arent Muppets fans into the Muppets, but when people like us start turning on them, what hope do they have. Sure the times of the classic 3 films, The Muppet Show, and Jim, Frank, Jerry and Richard are gone, but times change and no matter what griping we do about it thats not going to change. I know i'm not alone in saying that I grew up with the Muppets and they were always there for me, this is my favorite group of characters and I wont turn my back on them for better or worse. Positive feedback is what the mouse wants from this movie so they can begin a big relaunch of the characters, so imaginge what they must be thinking when they see us "Muppet Fans" bashing the first thing they do. We need to be supportive in this time of change for them other wise we're going to be destined to not having new Muppet stuff in our futures. Sure this was not the BEST Muppet project, but heck its a start. They gave us diehard fans so much in characters and references, so they know we are out here. I know some of you have your gripes about who spoke and was seen and who wasnt seen or talked, but again give them time. If we get this relaunch the way Disney wants to I am certain we will all eventually get what we want. We just need to throw them our support and be there for them. This is a rough time for Kermit and co. so dont give up on them....think of how many times you may have had a bad day and were cheered up by soething Muppetty, thats all I'm asking...
Mike

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
MWoO said:
First off Rizzo said WITCH slapped. It was a pun. I don't know why you thought it was ***** slapped. It was a funny joke in a PG movie.

Seeing Kermit and Gonzo torn apart was a little disturbing put it is part of the story. I give them credit for actually doing it instead of wussing out. Besides, it's an evil wicked witch. What would you have her do?

Again, this is a wicked witch and her evil crew. Obviously they have to take joy in their evil. So Jonny using the tarp makes sense and it is actually within his character. She's a wicked witch and they are evil henchmen. They have to do evil things.

Now, if you thought this movie had disturbing stuff you should watch the other movies. In GMC Kermit has a gun held to his head! And he was a living breathing frog in that movie, not a scarecrow that can be taken apart or a robot. In the Muppets Take Manhattan Kermit was hit by a car. In the Muppet Movie he was hunted by a murdeous gun for hire. Talk about crossing a line...

Tambour did not look like a KKK member when he stepped up to the podium. He looked like a guy with a green wizard hat on. Just because the KKK decided to go with the wizardl ook doesn;'t mean wizards can't use the wizard look. I find you compariosn offensive and you have to be a pretty twisted person to think that.

How would you have done the wizard scene? Would you have them build a giant dragon puppet for a low budget TV special? Would you have them make a head of fire? Honestly, how else would you have them do it? They used CGI because it was avaiable and it worked. Also, it fits with the whole fake wizard thing. The wizard is basically using special effects so the CGI worked wit that.

I think a lot of complaints here are just al ittle too harsh and not valid. Ashanti was a bad actress, but the actual events wre not as bad as many have made them out to be.

HERE, HERE... Well sayed MWoO, I suppourt you on this 100% :smile: *claps*

amiki chan

Reaction score
I just thought I'd add my 2 cents as well. I personally feel that the only things that the Henson Company has put out that capture any of Jim Henson's magic are Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island.
I gave Muppet Cristmas Carol the benefit of the doubt because it was the first thing they did after Mr. Henson passed away and it wasn't bad. I had to get used to a new voice for Kermit (Steve Whitmire) but he didn't do a bad job.
Muppet Treasure Island was hilarious! I laughed at everything on that. The music the acting was pretty good and I still enjoy it to this day.
A Very Merry muppet Christmas sucked. I watched it once and was so disgusted. My mother watched it with me and she doesn't even remember seeing so it's that bad. This new stuff Wizard of Oz was "iffy".
Some funny lines some unneccessary ones too and I watched it because I still like the Muppets and want to give anything they come up with the benefit of the doubt but they aren't trying to entertain anyone. Just a bunch of stuff slapped together and they expect everyone to get excited about it. The fact that they're partnered with Disney really gets my goat. It was fair but I'm not buying it.

Beebers

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Don't put down anything just because of the book or the script. Ya'll (most of ya'll that is) should be asamed of yourself.
It is precisely love of the Muppets which makes me want to see them in better productions with good, sharp, witty scripts, and not just settle for anything that comes down the pike with them in it. It's painful to see them in substandard projects.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Lynnette said:
What are your thoughts about Miss Piggy as a brunette in the photos of the premiere of "Oz"? :smile:
That kind of bothered me when I saw it. I mean I looked at it and said, "Miss Piggy can't be brunette. I'M brunette!" (I know, there's a major lack in thought process there...)
symbolically, I don't really know what to make of that. I think right now they're just expirimenting with different styles for piggy, trying to se what really fits. I guess if they did it right, they could pull off piggy as a brunette, but the origianl style and the "real world/ south witch" style from oz are better. the brunette was just too flat and superficial looking.

On another note, I'd like to add to and agree with what some people have already said: QUIT YOUR WHINING! Ernie81981, ChellisPal, MWoO, I'm on your side on this one. say lets alljust be glad e even HAVE the muppets anymore. I wasn't exactly aware of my surroundings when it happened, but I've read what other people say about it, and its my understanding that right after Jim died there was a lot of wondering if the muppets would die with him, or if Kermit would ever talk again, and guess what? The muppets are still here! Kermit still talks! And I think we should be grateful for that. I think that what the muppets need now is some loyal fans to support them no matter what. Because if they have that, and Disney can see that the muppets have all sorts of wonderful potential, then we'll keep getting the muppets, and they'll get better. So...
I don't know, I'm out of steam now.
Be Nice!

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Sadly, not everybody shares our enthusiasm or love of the Muppets. If you ask many people to name a muppet they could probably name Kermit and Miss Piggy. That's it. So just about any project and all of the power of Disney's promotions that re-introduces the Muppets to the general public can't be viewed as a bad thing. It is silly for us to argue about things like "So-and-so's voice didn't sound like so-and-so" or "My favorite character didn't have many lines". John Q. Public doesn't know who does who's voice. All-in-all I think it was very entertaining.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a few small steps . . .

Erine81981

Reaction score
One thing I was glad to see it that Fozzie is back with his group of friends. I think since we got back Fozzie I know somewhere down the line well get Dr. Teeth and Rowlf back to talking anytime now. Just give them time well see all of our favorites back with new speaking parts. I still loved MFS and Dr. Teeth talked once and that was it. It still made me happy to see him say anything. I was a little disapponted when I listen to the song on the cd and didn't hear any one singing but then when I saw Dr. Teeth say "Naptime" it was awsome to hear his voice. I can't wait for more Muppets stuff to come. I want it now!