Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

• Oz was great

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Oz was good

Votes: 92 37.1%
  • Oz was disappointing

Votes: 64 25.8%
  • Oz was awful

Votes: 35 14.1%

• Total voters

MWoO

Reaction score
But tyrion is a guy. He said he watched it with his wife. Why would ne be jelous of Ashanti?

There was nothing trashy about her. She can't help the fact that she has a nice body. Should she wear garbage bags so no one looks at her and gets filthy ideas in there head. tyrion?

I agree with Beau. The Muppet Show Muppets didn;t teach moral values all the time. Many times it was just about comedy. There was a spinkling of morality in many productions, but there was also a lot of politically incorrect humor too. I mean how many times did Floyd call Piggy fat on TMS? How many times were weight jokes made? Oh many times did someone try to lift Piggy only to strain their back or soemthing? The Muppet even did al ittle racial humor. There are a few chinese jokes oneo f which is a slanted eye buck toothed gorilla going "wing chang chung moo goo guy pan". That's not in poor taste? Sure it was, it was also funny if you have a sense of humor about yourself and others.

The one thing that worries me about Disney and the muppets is that they will not touch on politics or religion. That is something Jim touched on all the time in subtle ways.

tyrion

Reaction score
I do not expect the Muppets to teach values and morals...but the fact of the matter is, that children are the main demographic audience for a show centered around a bunch of puppets. If only one or two of the issues I had with this movie existed I wouldn't have had a problem, that's pretty much been the pattern of the Muppet's. But this movie was a constant barrage of inappropriateness wrapped in one of the most uncreative scripts I have seen in a long time.
I love Muppets From Space, even though it is not a perfect movie. Pepe almost killed me. The first time I saw it I thought my spleen was going to rupture from laughing so hard. (I knew him from Muppet's Tonight....and still wonder what happend to the elephant. Elephino. And he did make me laugh out loud twice in MWoO.) The character roles were very well acted, the muppet's roles fit seamlessly into the script, and the movie had the feel-good nature I've come to expect from the Muppets. Was there adult humor? Yes, there was. Was there violence? Yes. Was there references to sex? Yes. But it was used sparingly and effectively, and only served to augment a clever and funny script.

(And I will admit that in MWoW making Poppyfields a night club was pretty creative. But it really didn't develop past the concept, and the scene still fell flat.)

Unfortunately it looks like not even the Muppets are safe from the dumbing down of the entertainment level in this country. This concept should have been handed to the Pixar staff for development and we might have seen a quality movie which actually paid some homage to the Muppet legacy.

MWoO

Reaction score
Just because there are puppets does not mean the target audience is kids. This is somehting Jim Henson tried to fight ever since he started Sesame Street. It's what he had to fight to get the muppet show up and running. The Muppet Show's target audience was not kids. It was teens and adults and families. It was not meant for kids to sit there and watch it alone like with Sesame Street. This is the same for MWoO. It was PG. If kids were watching between from 8-10 (usually past young kids bed times) they shouldh ave been watching with a parent. And you'll notice the violent parts happened after 9 (when kids REALLY should be in bed). So don't say the MWoO was bad because it sent bad messages to kids. YOU are an adult. Look at it from an adult point of view.

Oh, and you still didn't say why you thought Ashanti was trashy. I can only assume you had to say that because your wife was watching with you.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Scooter's Back! YAAAAYYY!!

Rating: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I almost cried in happiness when I saw Scooter, having (somewhat) decent lines in MWoO. It really dosn't seem like that much, but...has anyone noticed, that even though Scooter hasn't died completely he has still been lacking in lines that stood on their own? He would just be a singer in a crowd (in MFS).
Actually, I do believe he had a single line or two in that movie to be exact, but..if you weren't listening for the first line, you would not have heard it, until he was selling those Gonzo t-shirts by the beach.

...The nipple joke. Oh, god.
People. Live with it. It did make me do something of a double-take when I heard/saw it, but it really isnt' all that bad. And you know why.

Cause PEPE and GONZO did that joke! Pepe is always spouting on this non-sequitars about how sexy he is, and how the ladies can't get enough of him. And then you have Gonzo...who loves Chickens, loves blowing himself up with cannons and doing all sorts of dangrous stunts that if he was a real person, he'd have been dead by now.
This kind of a line, yes, it is kinda weird, and odd. But it at least stays true to character, as did the "Witch slap" line by Rizzo/Munchkin Mayor.

Fangirlish Abandon: Rickey Boyd...I hope this man stays on as Scooter's new voice. I will be exceedingly HAPPY if he does. And I agree with (whoever actually said this, I forgot their name - forgive me) that he should stay on and try Janice as well. He might do great as her.

And to Emerald, yes I do agree that a lot of stuff has happened concerning television and today's youth. Children can sing lots of unhealthy lyrics without knowing what they are, they wear clothes that don't cover them properly, and they also behave irrationally; cursing at their parents, and generally being rude and outlandish. But to reitirate what others have said, the parents should watch the children, not the parental groups. I do not believe the FCC is good for the children, unless they start cracking down on the violence. It is especially bad here in the South. Where every grown man seems to own a gun rack on their truck, and every kid over 12 can legally operate a loaded gun with their parental supervison. That dosn't sound like much, but...when the parents are the ones who bought them the gun.

We as Muppet fans should take this as a time to promote good, (somewhat) clean humor; as only the Muppets can deliver.

You say the Muppets have degraded themselves with purile, gross-out humor: Look at current stuff and shows that passes off as "comedy" you will see the great difference shown up by these.

..um..thanks for reading this ranting post. Heheh...

Any questions, rants, love notes:
reneelouvier@gmail.com

MWoO

Reaction score
Did you watch AVMMC? That was Scooter's first new appearance and he was used a lot. Just as much as in otherm ovie I would say. I'm sure you'd likei t.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
MWoO said:
Did you watch AVMMC? That was Scooter's first new appearance and he was used a lot. Just as much as in otherm ovie I would say. I'm sure you'd likei t.
Gah, I messed up the times for the AMV muppet thingus. I thought it was 8 pm, when actually it was 7 pm. That kinda ticked me off, I had turned it on just in time to see Fozzie and the rest mingling with Tom (whatever his name is) above the credits. I did see Scooter, but I heard no lines. But thanks anyways, man! :wink:

That Announcer

Reaction score
Sorry. Just meant it as a little joke in response to your using "Tom" a bunch of times.