Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

• Oz was great

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Oz was good

Votes: 92 37.1%
  • Oz was disappointing

Votes: 64 25.8%
  • Oz was awful

Votes: 35 14.1%

• Total voters

Lynnette

Reaction score
Member MWoO

Okay, my curiosity has just finally gotten the better of me. New member MWoO, what's your story? It's just so interesting to me that you just joined the listserv on May 21 and, as of this posting of mine, you have posted every day since joining (10 days), you have 79 posts, and most posts are in this thread. I'm just amazed by that. That's a lot of devotion to this one topic and you often have comments to make in response to others' opinions. I'm just curious - tell us a little more about yourself. I'm not asking for deep personal information, simply Muppet-wise related.

Any one else wondering the same thing? :confused:

-Lynnette

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I made mention of it, I found it rather brazen that he felt it necessary to defend this film so passionately against senior members who've been here for such a long time.

I think it's great we've got a new member who obviously joined because of this film, but then just because of how strongly he defended it (and not to mention a seemingly thorough and impressive knowledge in Hensonology) I wondered (but am not accusing) that perhaps MWoO is another member of another name?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Lynnette said:
Any one else wondering the same thing? :confused:

-Lynnette
I have indeed wondered the same thing, Lynnette. And it strikes me that with such an awesome knowledge (in places beating mine) of the Muppets, there is little chance he cannot have seen this place before, and, unless he was a lurker....he could well have ben another member in disguise!

I have no problem with that myself, and I hope he dosn't think that.

I also have my thoughts on whom this chappie may be...

Deadwall

Reaction score
Hang in there Muppets!

I've been sitting here reading review after review of the Muppets Wizard of Oz and I've found that a majority of the reviews are mainly negative. Sure, there were definate downers involved in this production, but let us not lose sight of the fact that it IS the muppets... maybe not the 100% true Jim Henson muppets we've all come to love, but still the muppets. I wonder if some of you wouldn't have been happier in the "long run" if the muppets just would have "disappeared" after Jim's death and were left on the shelf as classic TV icons? As for me, I'm glad for any attempt (and in my opinion, this one was a good solid attempt with a lot of future potential). I think the current list of muppet performers have Jim's best interest at heart, and that means a lot to me. To see my kid's eyes light up as animal pounds on the drums or pepe makes an off the wall comment... that is what the muppets are all about!

For the first time in a long time, I really think the Muppet Wizard of Oz was pushing the muppets back in the right direction... based on the simple fact that there were actual original SONGS that they sang. Wow! And for the first time in a long time... almost every muppet in the team got to have at least 30 seconds on screen. Not bad if you ask me.

Way to go Muppets! Hang in there!

:smile:

Malachy

Reaction score
Well I don't know how much anyone could have expected with some rapper-wannabe as the star. It was poorly made, and the idea was bad to begin with. I wish they'd just stop trying to think up zany ideas for the Muppets and make us another normal movie!

D

Beauregard

Reaction score
Deadwall said:
To see my kid's eyes light up as animal pounds on the drums or pepe makes an off the wall comment... that is what the muppets are all about!

Way to go Muppets! Hang in there!

:smile:

At last! A totally happy comment!

You are right, of course, that IS what the Muppets are about. And we have forgotten that in our FANatical picking at this production.

MWoO

Reaction score
First, I post mostly in this thread because the movie needs defending against wrong opinions. By that I mean opinions based on false facts such as the following...

Malachy said:
Well I don't know how much anyone could have expected with some rapper-wannabe as the star. It was poorly made, and the idea was bad to begin with. I wish they'd just stop trying to think up zany ideas for the Muppets and make us another normal movie!

D
She is not a "rapper-wannaber". She is an R&B singer. Like her or not, she can actually sing. She can't always act, but she can sing. She does have some ok acting moments, but mostly when she isn't trying to act sweet and nice.

Frankly there are a lot of ignorant comments about this movie and a lot of it has to do with people, fans no less, saying the muppets are strictly for kids first. Other ignorant comments have to do with Dorothy being black which has become an issue I do not understand. If nothing else, I am trying to be a voice of reason in a thread full of bashers.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
And while that is very noble, I think it's kind of ignorant to be so pompous that you're going to defend a TV film on an internet forum. Are you hoping to convert those who don't like the film? Are you afraid negative comments will hurt the movies feelings? Don't get me wrong, while I didn't care for the film, I think it's great many did and the Muppets live on, it just blows my mind you feel you need to be so ****-bent on downing peoples opinions, it reeks of communism.

MWoO

Reaction score
Oh that is a very fair comparison. Balancing negative comments about a Mupet TV special is exactly the same as communism.

Beauregard

Reaction score
MWoO said:
Oh that is a very fair comparison. Balancing negative comments about a Mupet TV special is exactly the same as communism.
*snort*

I for one appreciate that sarcastic comment!

For second, I think that Mwoo is right here (not bashing you, Vic, so don't think it...:smile: ) the bad comments must be ballenced. And as soon as I have watched the movie I will add my thoughts too.