Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

• Oz was great

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Oz was good

Votes: 92 37.1%
  • Oz was disappointing

Votes: 64 25.8%
  • Oz was awful

Votes: 35 14.1%

• Total voters

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
My Favorite Parts Of The Telefilm

Here is a list of my favorite parts of The Muppets Wizard Of Oz.

1. The musical number "When I'm With You".

2. When Ashanti gave the hat to Sal.

3. When Kermit mentioned Frank Oz.

4. When Pepe said "What happens in Emerlad City stays in Emerlad City.

5. When Ashanti was at the Muppets Star Hunt.

6. I liked Clifford's cameo.

7. When Glinda fell in love with Kermit.

8. The musical number "Gotta Get Out Of Kansas".

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Ashanti is nothing special. Just a hot hip-hopper who thinks that because she's pretty, she can act. Am I supposed to be happy about that :big_grin:

The current references jokes are weak. Like somebody else said, you can watch the old movies without that junk. Does the original movie do that? No.

Speaking of the original movie, we all know it is the LEGEND. THis is just a silly romp, made-for-tv piece of product with a crummy star and weak songs.

Some of us call it for what it is.

What's next? (insert pre-existing concept here)+"featuring the Muppets."

Bah :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I've been gone 2 weeks longer than I wanted to, so here's what I have to say...

At best, it was like watching 2 movies, one... pretty good... allright... c or c-, the other pretty bad.

The positive:
  • The muppets did play themselves, but only for like 2 minutes collectively
  • A lot of older, or obscure characters make more cameos... especially loved Bubba the rat and Mulch.
  • There was a higher a-list muppet to human ratio than MTI and MCC
  • We had some original songs for a change (but.....)
  • The gothic scene with Miss Piggy as the evil witch, I admit was pretty cool (if only the entire movie was like that)
  • The refference to Big Bird (closest thing we'll ever see to a Muppet/ SS reunion, sadly... like the sesame Street door in a jar from MFS)
  • Pepe, Johnny and Sal salvaged the film.
  • Eric Jacobson is doing a better job with Frank's Characters than frank in the later films.
  • and say what you will, but Camella and Gonzo being back together almost (almost mind you) made up for this meh film.

The negative
  • The only real upside to Ashanti being in it? At least it wasn't Hillary Duff. It was a Disney product over all
  • The Camera work looked too... err... like the 1960's Batman. Didn't work for me
  • The opening and closing of the movie were flat out dull. I'm also a little disappointed that Queen Latifa and David Allen Grier didn't work with the Muppets (as they previously did in Sesame Street)
  • there were new songs... BUT... they were totally unmemorable. I did like naptime and The Witch is in the house, but (I blaime this one on Ashanti) ain't no way I'll pick up a sound track.
  • The writing. Now, there were some nice lines, and overall, they could have made the same movie with the same basic script much better if they had it go through more drafts)... but at least it wasn't as patched together as VMX was.
  • once again, Ashanti=poor actor. Not as annoying as the effeminant kid from MTi, but not Michael cain or Tim Curry either.
  • And of course, I'm sick of these "book movies."

Personally, I did think it was more fun to watch than the snoozefest of MCC, but not as good as MTI was. The Muppets were the only reason to watch this movie, and they were the best (and only likeable) part. But It wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been... close, but not quite. The movie could have been better, but somewhere, somehow it wasn't. I didn't see KSY or EIG yet, and I'd have to see this one more time to really have a final opinion on it, but it's only my second least favorite Muppet movie so far (MCC being my least favorite.

Oh well, at least Bunsen and Beaker were funny in it.

MWoO

Reaction score
"# Eric Jacobson is doing a better job with Frank's Characters than frank in the later films."

I have to agree here. I liked Piggy in this much more than Piggy in MFS. It's like Piggy has been thrown back to TMS days.

BEAR

Reaction score
"The Muppets did play themselves but only for 2 minutes collectively"

I have to disagree with the "only for 2 minutes" statement. All the Muppets DID play themselves. They just happen to be dressed up. When playing a role, you always put a little of yourself into that character. The character comes from yourself. I will admit, Kermit and Piggy were playing far from themselves, but as for the others it was still them. Fozzie was Fozzie AS the Lion. The Lion WAS Fozzie. And if anyone is the perfect Tin Man, it is Gonzo. Gonzo acted no different than he normally does. Okay, so Gonzo is usually much more eccentric. But Gonzo is the true romantic in the muppets gang as he showed in the film through his character. His soul was in that part. So it was still Gonzo, he was just under a different name. Same with Fozzie. They catered the character to him. A Stand up commediane with stage fright. And the Lion was played how Fozzie would play him. He was not another personality.
Scooter, Bunsen, Beaker, Clifford, Sal, Johnny and Pepe were themselves. So were Statler and Waldorf. They were just stuffed in costumes. Rizzo's role seemed restricted. It was still Rizzo as the mayor, but not very much Rizzo came out.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
BEAR said:
"The Muppets did play themselves but only for 2 minutes collectively"

I have to disagree with the "only for 2 minutes" statement. All the Muppets DID play themselves. They just happen to be dressed up. When playing a role, you always put a little of yourself into that character. The character comes from yourself. I will admit, Kermit and Piggy were playing far from themselves, but as for the others it was still them. Fozzie was Fozzie AS the Lion. The Lion WAS Fozzie. And if anyone is the perfect Tin Man, it is Gonzo. Gonzo acted no different than he normally does. Okay, so Gonzo is usually much more eccentric. But Gonzo is the true romantic in the muppets gang as he showed in the film through his character. His soul was in that part. So it was still Gonzo, he was just under a different name. Same with Fozzie. They catered the character to him. A Stand up commediane with stage fright. And the Lion was played how Fozzie would play him. He was not another personality.
Scooter, Bunsen, Beaker, Clifford, Sal, Johnny and Pepe were themselves. So were Statler and Waldorf. They were just stuffed in costumes. Rizzo's role seemed restricted. It was still Rizzo as the mayor, but not very much Rizzo came out.

Very well sayed "BEAR"!!! :wink:

BEAR

Reaction score
Thanks, but I was just rambling. I am hoping that my point sorta got across.

Lynnette

Reaction score
Lynnette said:
Okay, my curiosity has just finally gotten the better of me. New member MWoO, what's your story? It's just so interesting to me that you just joined the listserv on May 21 and, as of this posting of mine, you have posted every day since joining (10 days), you have 79 posts, and most posts are in this thread. I'm just amazed by that. That's a lot of devotion to this one topic and you often have comments to make in response to others' opinions. I'm just curious - tell us a little more about yourself. I'm not asking for deep personal information, simply Muppet-wise related.

Any one else wondering the same thing? :confused:

-Lynnette
Allright, I'm quoting myself to point out that this was NOT an attack on member MWoO. There was simply curiosity. Still didn't get an answer but I'm not expecting it since I didn't really get one already.

Phooey, I'm just tired of this thread now - nothing new or interesting here after 20 pages of posts. Time to move on. Yawn.

-Lynnette

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Understanding the movement of this thread, and if you didn't already read it, or I wasn't clear; I'd once again like to publicly apologize to MWoO (and BEAR too I believe as his post seems to indicate I may have offended him as well) and say I'm glad youse' guys are here at MC.

BEAR

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Understanding the movement of this thread, and if you didn't already read it, or I wasn't clear; I'd once again like to publicly apologize to MWoO (and BEAR too I believe as his post seems to indicate I may have offended him as well) and say I'm glad youse' guys are here at MC.

Thanks very much, Vic. I like being here. I have actually been here for a little while, however, I have only recently began posting and becoming more involved in the forum. It is nice to be here on a more regular basis. :big_grin: