1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: The Street We Live On

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Apr 4, 2004.

?

What did you think of "The Street We Live On" special?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2004.
  1. I thought it was good

38 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. I was very disappointed

52 vote(s)
    57.8%

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Tonight on PBS at 8 pm eastern/7 central, the long-awaited special "The Street We Live On" airs on PBS nationwide and in prime-time. The special will also be re-airing tomorrow (Monday) during Sesame's normal time-slot.

Here's a preview of the special

After you watch "The Street We Live On", post here and let us know what you think!
  2. I'm watching it right now, I feel a little suspicious. The format is just like the old one with an extended Elmo's World. The special so far is OK, just OK.
  3. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Uh, yeah, this is different from what I expected. I've enjoyed the old clips they've been playing, but what about the history of SS? I thought Elmo was going to travel back in time and see Mr. Hooper...it's OVER half over, and this "time travel thing" with Grover hasn't happened yet. So far, this "special" seems just like a regular SS to me, with a handful of nostalgic bits thrown in.

What is this?:confused:

Convincing John
  4. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Check that. They just did the time travel thing....they showed the Maria/Luis wedding, a brief glimpse of Mr. Hooper, Gabi as a baby, and Miles as a baby.

Ummm...I guess I expected the special to be more like the 20 Years and Counting Special.

The clip montage at the end with the old bits was really cool, though. I was really impressed they showed David and Olivia!

And...holy guacamole!!! It's.......Mahna-Mahna!!!

After this, where I live, they're showing a Mr. Rogers special about his life. I'm going to tape it.

Convincing John
  5. There showing Masterpiece Theater here in NY :zany:
  6. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I loved it. All the old stuff they talked about. I liked the cartoon bit and the #10 where the baker fell. I know it's kind of sad when u think its fun to watch a guy fall down but when its something u don't see anymore then I'm glad. I'll have to get someone to tape it for me tomorrow. I loved every bit. I can't wait for the episodes tomorrow. YEAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
  7. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I told you guys to watch it before you judge, and maybe I was right. Well, I saw it..and it blowed. It was pretty horrible. The only thing that saved it was Eric's terrififc performance with Grover, especially during the Global Grover bit (Kudos to Jen Barnhart playing the peacock!)
  8. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

UMM What did i just watch

What was that? I was a little confused about the whole thing. They really didnt even get to the history of SS until the very end. I watched the whole show and realized several things.

1. How much i cant stand Elmo
    2. How much i love everyone else on SS
    3. Frank Oz might have been helping not to sure
    4. How much i cant stand Elmo
    5. They showed Forgetfull Jones which was cool
    6. The part where they showed the clips at the end was the best part of the show. I wanted more of them.
    7. Did my TV mess up or did they edit Kermit singing at the end?

I also have a few questions:

1. Who was doing Cookie at the end. It sounded a lot better then the one when he was a baby eating a cookie?
    2. Who was doing the Count?
    3. Who else cant stand Elmo?
    4. Who was doing the Two-Headed Monster?
  9. Aiya

Aiya New Member

I loved the NY-inside joke as Elmo and Grover got in the taxi and the now discontinued "Elmo's seat belt" message came on. Good times.
  10. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

:sleep: :sleep:

I like Elmo. Elmo was one of my best friends when I was younger. Elmo can be cute and that is fine, but...a whole hour of Elmo's World...no.

I was very excited to see the 35th season special of Sesame Street where Elmo would visit the street from the present and commenting while various clips of old episodes with computer auditing playing. And I must admit they did play old clips and a few of my favorites with appearances from some of the old Sesame Street cast; but where was the time travel? I expected something so much more involved instead of a regular episode of Sesame Street with an elongated version of Elmo's World. :cry:

I feel that the best part of the show was the last five minutes when they showed various clips from all 35 years. It would have liked it better if they had done something like that throughout the entire show and not at the end. They did have the Sesame Street version of Mahna Mahna which I liked, but...still...I wanted the nostalgic feeling!

I may just have to go watch my old VHS copy of The Muppet Show and have The Rainbow Connection aerial shot bring tears to my eyes.
  11. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

I meant The Muppet Movie. :o

And it looks like this will be a hot topic in the forums for awhile.
  12. Animal Jam

Animal Jam New Member

i liked when they showed c-3po and r2-d2
  13. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

Well, I just watched it, and I thought it was wonderful! For the letter of the day, "C", they had the cartoon typewriter guy! That's so wonderful! I didn't really care for that new version of "Me and My Chair" though, I prefer the old one with the man singing, and accompanied by nothing but a piano. I COULDN'T BELIEVE THEY SHOWED BAKER #10!!!! They did edit in the "10 bells" part, it looks like, but it's still good they used it after 16 years! And I loved the way Grover went back through the time travel! And I thought that composition "The Street We Live On" was FABULOUS! It sounded like it was from a musical!! And you know what I especially loved at the end? That timeline of old clips!! And they even changed the TV sets for the appropriate times! And they had Mahna Mahna during the credits, and my station DIDN'T talk over it!! It was great! I DVD'd it!
  14. teebs

teebs New Member

Not sure who was puppeteering, but it was Jerry's voice.
  15. Animal Jam

Animal Jam New Member

the 2 headed monster was little boy blue
  16. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I'm glad u liked it Ssetta!
  17. gfarkwort

gfarkwort Member

I semi-liked it. I think it should have been longer, have more old clips and possibly less Elmo's World. I like Berts Line though "Oh... Well how do I get out of Elmo's World?" I'm sure everyones felt like that MORE than once. There were also new puppets like Grover, Baby Bear and Telly (I think his face is to fat now).
  18. dwayne1115

Who is little boy blue?
  19. Hays

Hays New Member

Loved seeing the old clips - esp. Beverly Sills (?) doing "C is for Cookie" one of my faves as a kid, I remember singing it opera-style. Wish it hadn't been "Elmo's World" style, too much time spent on those bits.

The baker falling down the stairs brought up an interesting point - notice they rarely COUNT the number more than once; when they do, they don't label a group of things? It's a shame those clips were axed because of the physical humor, because their educational value is better than anything else since. My biggest challenge with my three-year-old is getting him to understand that you only count each thing once.
  20. dwayne1115

wow

It looks like most Muppet fans weren't really happy with this.