Your Thoughts: The Street We Live On

What did you think of "The Street We Live On" special?

• I thought it was good

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • I was very disappointed

Votes: 52 57.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tonight on PBS at 8 pm eastern/7 central, the long-awaited special "The Street We Live On" airs on PBS nationwide and in prime-time. The special will also be re-airing tomorrow (Monday) during Sesame's normal time-slot.

Here's a preview of the special

A nostalgic journey through Sesame Street’s most magical moments, “The Street We Live On” puts the spotlight on the series’ high-spirited red muppet, Elmo, as he learns more about the street on which he lives. Using the popular ‘Elmo’s World’ format, the hour-long program explores Elmo’s innermost thoughts and imagination. Although shot in the present day, Elmo (with the help of his friend Grover) is seemingly transported through time to the Sesame Street that existed before Elmo was born.
After you watch "The Street We Live On", post here and let us know what you think!

P

Philo and Gunge

I'm watching it right now, I feel a little suspicious. The format is just like the old one with an extended Elmo's World. The special so far is OK, just OK.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Uh, yeah, this is different from what I expected. I've enjoyed the old clips they've been playing, but what about the history of SS? I thought Elmo was going to travel back in time and see Mr. Hooper...it's OVER half over, and this "time travel thing" with Grover hasn't happened yet. So far, this "special" seems just like a regular SS to me, with a handful of nostalgic bits thrown in.

What is this?:confused:

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
Check that. They just did the time travel thing....they showed the Maria/Luis wedding, a brief glimpse of Mr. Hooper, Gabi as a baby, and Miles as a baby.

Ummm...I guess I expected the special to be more like the 20 Years and Counting Special.

The clip montage at the end with the old bits was really cool, though. I was really impressed they showed David and Olivia!

And...holy guacamole!!! It's.......Mahna-Mahna!!!

After this, where I live, they're showing a Mr. Rogers special about his life. I'm going to tape it.

Convincing John

P

Philo and Gunge

Convincing John said:
After this, where I live, they're showing a Mr. Rogers special about his life. I'm going to tape it.
There showing Masterpiece Theater here in NY :zany:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I loved it. All the old stuff they talked about. I liked the cartoon bit and the #10 where the baker fell. I know it's kind of sad when u think its fun to watch a guy fall down but when its something u don't see anymore then I'm glad. I'll have to get someone to tape it for me tomorrow. I loved every bit. I can't wait for the episodes tomorrow. YEAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Ryan

Reaction score
I told you guys to watch it before you judge, and maybe I was right. Well, I saw it..and it blowed. It was pretty horrible. The only thing that saved it was Eric's terrififc performance with Grover, especially during the Global Grover bit (Kudos to Jen Barnhart playing the peacock!)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
UMM What did i just watch

What was that? I was a little confused about the whole thing. They really didnt even get to the history of SS until the very end. I watched the whole show and realized several things.

1. How much i cant stand Elmo
2. How much i love everyone else on SS
3. Frank Oz might have been helping not to sure
4. How much i cant stand Elmo
5. They showed Forgetfull Jones which was cool
6. The part where they showed the clips at the end was the best part of the show. I wanted more of them.
7. Did my TV mess up or did they edit Kermit singing at the end?

I also have a few questions:

1. Who was doing Cookie at the end. It sounded a lot better then the one when he was a baby eating a cookie?
2. Who was doing the Count?
3. Who else cant stand Elmo?
4. Who was doing the Two-Headed Monster?

Aiya

Reaction score
I loved the NY-inside joke as Elmo and Grover got in the taxi and the now discontinued "Elmo's seat belt" message came on. Good times.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
:sleep: :sleep:

I like Elmo. Elmo was one of my best friends when I was younger. Elmo can be cute and that is fine, but...a whole hour of Elmo's World...no.

I was very excited to see the 35th season special of Sesame Street where Elmo would visit the street from the present and commenting while various clips of old episodes with computer auditing playing. And I must admit they did play old clips and a few of my favorites with appearances from some of the old Sesame Street cast; but where was the time travel? I expected something so much more involved instead of a regular episode of Sesame Street with an elongated version of Elmo's World. :cry:

I feel that the best part of the show was the last five minutes when they showed various clips from all 35 years. It would have liked it better if they had done something like that throughout the entire show and not at the end. They did have the Sesame Street version of Mahna Mahna which I liked, but...still...I wanted the nostalgic feeling!

I may just have to go watch my old VHS copy of The Muppet Show and have The Rainbow Connection aerial shot bring tears to my eyes.