Should Sesame Street continue?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's funny how the kids are more replaceable than the adults. Other than Gordon, and even then it was early on in the show's run, the adults were never recast. Not to mention, they stayed much longer most of the time. It's actually pretty funny. We don't have any recurring kids in Sesame Street anymore. Just extras that never really say anything.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I must say that while Times have change, I do agree one thing remains constant on Sesame Street and that's the overall mission of the show: to educate the children in the most unique way possible.

So to me while it may be tough to deal with the lost of such great characters in our time, the show must sadly go on.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I must say that while Times have change, I do agree one thing remains constant on Sesame Street and that's the overall mission of the show: to educate the children in the most unique way possible

So to me while it may be tough to deal with the lost of such great characters in our time, the show must sadly go on.
Well for me it's not just the loss of characters, it's the quality of the writing in general. I'm just not sure it's there anymore. And again it's understandable for such a long running show. I don't except SNL to be ground breaking comedy like the way it was in the beginning. Television just runs these wonderful shows into the ground until there's nothing left.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well for me it's not just the loss of characters, it's the quality of the writing in general. I'm just not sure it's there anymore. And again it's understandable for such a long running show. I don't except SNL to be ground breaking comedy like the way it was in the beginning. Television just runs these wonderful shows into the ground until there's nothing left.
I beg to disagree! The writing is very much still there for the street scenes anyways. the stories have been very good(not all of them but some)
Grover has really started shining again, and other inserts have also been very well done. The Music is also still very good for a kids show.
Sesame is also a big voice for children and helping them deal with issues that no other kids show dares to touch, such as divorce. This is a huge step for Sesame and it is going to help families and kids learn how to deal with the issue.

My point is this: Yes Sesame should continue,they are still doing a wonderful job at what they do.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I beg to disagree! The writing is very much still there for the street scenes anyways. the stories have been very good(not all of them but some)
Grover has really started shining again, and other inserts have also been very well done. The Music is also still very good for a kids show.
Sesame is also a big voice for children and helping them deal with issues that no other kids show dares to touch, such as divorce. This is a huge step for Sesame and it is going to help families and kids learn how to deal with the issue.

My point is this: Yes Sesame should continue,they are still doing a wonderful job at what they do.
If other people like it, that's great. I just don't see it and I think my kids would benefit more from earlier seasons.

I do see a show that's trying, certainly. But I see a show that's merely bright and bland the way most kid's show are today. ::shrugs:: Agree to disagree. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't even blame the writers. I think there's more blame on the producers that are goading the writers to follow a curriculum that focuses on one major initiative. The fact that there were 2 and 3 "guessing game" type episodes and they are starting to follow strict episodic formulas bothers me, but I really think the writers want to branch out. When there's a parody segment, they let them loose and they do a very good job. Even Elmo the Musical has some snappy writing to it. It's not so much the writing is bad, it's inconstant. They need more fun episodes to let the writers loose and less "This is what this is, that is what that is" formula episodes.

DancingQueen

Reaction score
Does anyone else kinda feel like it's impossible for us to even judge whether or not the show should continue at its present rate? I mean, I personally loved the show in the 90's, whereas a lot of you would say it started going downhill in the 90's. The point is, the show today is being created for the kids in pre-school today, and geared toward what they expect out of a TV show, which, even if kids haven't changed in 20-40 years, what they expect on TV CERTAINLY changes. So the question for me really becomes, is it doing its job in that sense? Is it a good show for kids given what THEY expect out of a kids show? Any show that goes on as long as Sesame Street has to adapt to a changing audience, even a show where a new audience comes up every few years. As sad as it would be if the show permanently lost Susan or Bob, and the show made no mention of it, the show CAN continue without them, as it has continued without the dozens of others (including and especially Jim Henson, whose contribution can certainly never be matched or replaced) who've come and gone, both regulars and less-common characters. Sad but true. In short, I don't think I'm a fair judge as to whether or not the show should continue, and I don't think many of us are. The bottom line is, "do children continue to benefit from watching it, both entertainment-wise, and educationally?" Just because it doesn't entertain us anymore doesn't mean it's of no use to a child....

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Any show that goes on as long as Sesame Street has to adapt to a changing audience
Thing is there's a difference between change and a lowering of quality.

I do question how useful it is educationally at this point. Just because kids like a popular character doesn't mean they're learning anything.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Thing is there's a difference between change and a lowering of quality.

I do question how useful it is educationally at this point. Just because kids like a popular character doesn't mean they're learning anything.
I wonder that most of the time, if kids really get the message of each segment. I'd love to sit in on the testing process and see how kids react, like this (see 2:51):

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I wonder that most of the time, if kids really get the message of each segment. I'd love to sit in on the testing process and see how kids react, like this (see 2:51):
Wow, children laughing at a character other than Elmo. Who knew?! :super: