The Muppets Episode 4 - Pig Out

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Pig Out"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
mom wand I are watching VMX right now... is it just me or are the muppets nicer to each other even in that weird movie? I don't like that film but they seem friendlier and Kermit acts pretty sweet.
How come even in a goofy film like that they are nicer than they are to each other in the muppets? I don't know. Maybe I just like sweetheart muppets.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
mom wand I are watching VMX right now... is it just me or are the muppets nicer to each other even in that weird movie? I don't like that film but they seem friendlier and Kermit acts pretty sweet.
How come even in a goofy film like that they are nicer than they are to each other in the muppets? I don't know. Maybe I just like sweetheart muppets.
And ironically, that was what Frank Oz had been complaining about for some time, they the Muppets were "too nice," "too sweet," and "too cute." He felt there was no longer any conflict or tension among the characters to help shape the dynamics of their interactions with each other.

But, this is something I brought up in another thread a while back: it seems like there's no middle ground with anybody anymore - the Muppets are either "too nice" or "too mean."

But then again, THE MUPPETS (2015) is trying to be a mainstream show, and there's an unwritten rule in television today that characters have to be unlikeable jerks because they're apparently "more relatable" to audiences today.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
A factor that needs to be taken into consideration here is that the show is still in its infancy (only a measly 4 episodes in, which were meant to set things up like the format, some of the character dynamics, etc.) and has some kinks to work out.

It can be easy to forget that The Muppet Show started out in a similar place before finding its groove. Its first season was spent doing a lot of experimenting, finding out what did or didn't work, tweaking the format, developing the characters, etc.

Also the fact that The Muppet Show was more gag-centric in the first season and became more character-based in the second season and beyond. The second season was also when the show's popularity truly began to kick in.

It seems to me that the new show shall go through a similar transformation as it continues to find its footing.
I agree. It's a bit premature to start talking about cancellation after 4 episodes.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I am the oldest fan on this board right now. I watched the original show, and I watch the reruns before many of you were born. It was never a children show. Never.
There's not been a thing that came out with the muppets that I haven't watched and didn't support. I have t-shirts older than most of you.
I have always been against "mean" Kermit. I don't mean snarky, sarcastic Kermit, who made an OCCASIONAL appearance on TMS. I mean the rude, obnoxious, fat-pig joking Kermit that showed up around the time that Muppets Tonight came out. But I watched that, too. (If you read my fanfiction you'll know that I include characters from every incarnation.)
I'm not prudish. Nope. Not me. (Again, look at my fanfiction.)
I am a fan, but just like I don't like everything my own children do, I don't have to like everything the characters do to be a fan.
I am sad that Jim is gone. But I have not said that the Muppets could not, or should not go on without him. Bless those stalwart muppeteers for doing their best for us, regardless of the script! I have been a staunch supporter and purchaser of all the things that they have done. (I also have mugs older than most of you.)
My main objection to the show can be summed up in the following: Just give me a show worth watching and people it with characters that act like themselves.
In a way, it's very insulting for the writers to assume that--just because these are puppets instead of people that we won't notice if they don't act like themselves. (When Disney took over, they initially tried to do character appearances with puppeteers that were NOT the actual characters' puppeteers. They didn't think anyone would care. We cared.)
I have not recommended that anybody else stop watching, and I allowed myself to be persuaded into watching again when I thought I was done watching mean Kermit be abusive and insulting and manipulative to Piggy. When I watched again, a sweeter side of Kermit emerged--for Fozzie. He's still being a jerk to Piggy, but the old Kermit might be in there somewhere. And no, I don't think Jim has to be there for the old Kerment to appear. When I say "old Kermit," I'll take the Kermit that we saw in The Muppets, who finally came roaring back, saved his theater, reunited his friends, and professed his love for Miss Piggy--all the while entertaining us with songs and skits.

The question is: Why on earth can't I have that?

It was on the strength of that that the muppets came back. When MMW came out, Disney had wrestled it out of the hands of fans (large and small) and THEIR big, original idea was to trot out a mixture of the same old tired stuff--a Kermit-Piggy will-they-or-won't-they wedding (good grief--they're already married!!)--and some new, stupid stuff, like Kermit getting replaced by an imposter and having NO ONE notice except the one guy who doesn't know him as well as all of the others.
It really shouldn't surprise us that--duh--Disney STILL doesn't know the characters.

Fix the characterizations (which could probably be solved by giving the muppeteers their heads--or rather their hands.) and have someone who knows the muppets write funny things for them. (You can bet darn sure that Bill Party wouldn't let just any script get slapped onto the Big Bang theory cast--those characters have particular characteristics that make them THEM. Don't our guys deserve the same respect?

I'm watching. I'm not happy, but I'm watching, and mis-characterizing fans like me doesn't make new fans appear. It takes a good show to do that. They should probably get right on that.

ploobis

Reaction score
For those who couldn't find Rowlf in his Tavern in "Pig Out", you can actually see him behind the bar behind Beaker doing his Miss Piggy impression. :sympathy: :eek:

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
BTW: Episode 105 of The Muppets won't air until October 27 2015, because during tonight's episodes commercials ABC ran a promo announcing It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown followed by Toy Story of Terror for next Tuesday at 8 PM.
OMG, thank you for clearing that up! I could not for the life of me find any info on the next episode and I was, TBH, expecting the worse, but just knowing it's on a week hiatus to run a classic (Great Pumpkin, but no Garfield? WTH? And if by Toy Story of Terror, you mean TS3, okay I could see that as people would remember that the movie made water come out their eyes), so I'm happy to know it hasn't been given the axe.

Will have to watch this weekend, though I almost want to wait until ep 5 comes out so I'd have a whole hour of Muppets to watch.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And if by Toy Story of Terror, you mean TS3, okay I could see that as people would remember that the movie made water come out their eyes), so I'm happy to know it hasn't been given the axe.
Toy Story of Terror is a Toy Story Halloween special that came out in either 2012 or 2013.