The Oh-So-Permanent Thanksgiving Thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, skip to 1:16:45 to see the Fraggle Rock float, which is probably the most awkward thing i've ever seen. It didn't actually have any of the main characters, besides Uncle Traveling Matt, none of the puppeteers were good at all here, and the whoever's inside the giant walk-around costumes clearly had no direction from anyone whatsoever. I seriously think this is the most awkward float i've ever seen. Not to mention, some of the puppets didn't have any puppeteer at all, so they just sit there, lifeless. It's really creepy, they look dead.
Wow, that really is terrible. The float itself looks pretty good, but the choreography from the walkarounds is so sloppy, and the catatonic puppetry is Christian kids' show quality. It's clear that neither Jim nor anyone else on the production staff had any involvement with this. :boo:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I found the full Macy's parade from 1983. A few things caught my I in this video. If you skip to about the 52:50 point in the video, you'll see the actor who played Ralphie on "A Christmas Story" probably promoting the movie, while awkwardly singing (sort of) about talking to animals:

Also, skip to 1:16:45 to see the Fraggle Rock float, which is probably the most awkward thing i've ever seen. It didn't actually have any of the main characters, besides Uncle Traveling Matt, none of the puppeteers were good at all here, and the whoever's inside the giant walk-around costumes clearly had no direction from anyone whatsoever. I seriously think this is the most awkward float i've ever seen. Not to mention, some of the puppets didn't have any puppeteer at all, so they just sit there, lifeless. It's really creepy, they look dead.
And 2:05:20 - Hanna-Barbera used a couple of (not the best) imitators for their characters. Probably the same two that did the singing for Daws Butler and Don Messick in "Hey There, It's Yogi Bear!" No thank you. Doesn't help that Sarah Purcell tries a Yogi impersonation herself. Kind of gives off that attitude of "anyone can voice Yogi."
I love when Bryant Gumbel awkwardly says, "Well... the cartoon kind of gave it away..." Well, you could kind of already see the float in earlier footage.

Anyway, there are plenty of the Macy's parades online. 1:12:16 - the Sesame float. Knowing that Carlo Alban had some personal issues going on explains his rather inexpressive face. Sad. :frown:

And 54:40, the Dudley the Dragon float had a massive accident - hence the use of pre-parade footage.

Carlo's more up the following year - well, as up as he can be, because the gang is really squeezed on there. Sonia Manzano and Alison Bartlett especially appear to be wishing for more elbow room! 57:08.

Check out the 1989 parade, co-hosted by ALF. As per Paul Fusco's requests, ALF is kept secluded from Willard Scott and Deborah Norville. The attempt to put them together at 1:34:58 is especially awkward!

Last edited:

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But it's just that Thanksgiving has always been under scrutiny for being in the way of Christmas, even in the 40's (or earlier, maybe? I forget the exact anecdotal date) when the retailers were pressuring the President to move Thanksgiving up sooner, closer to that start of November, rather than later in the month. And frankly, whatever you want to believe about the European settlers, pro or con, this is an important holiday in its own right. If anything, it's a day to be thankful everyone's still alive and you hope they are for the next year, all the while being thankful that you're not dying out on the street in some war torn country. And maybe to feel so blessed, you share that with the less fortunate, even though that's usually the only time anyone bothers to do so.
You've summed up my thoughts on the holiday to a T. I really don't get why Christmas decorations have to start going up in October - there's plenty of time to do your shopping throughout December. Thanksgiving is a special time to spend with friends and families - plus you get to have a few days off so it's all cool.

Drtooth

Reaction score

To make matters worse, they framed and filmed the thing poorly. I'd assume most of the performers were on the Sesame Street float. It's clear that some of the Fraggles used were the animatronic ones used to fill out crowd scenes in the opening theme.

Though I do like how one of the walk-arounds bothers doing the worm, and somehow not screwing it up.

I forget which parade it was, maybe one of the rinky dink ones the other networks have to air because they didn't get the rights to Macy's (this was before CBS's terrible guerilla broadcast of the Macy's Parade), but I swear there was once a Taz-Mania float. That surprised me back whenever it aired.

Muppy

Reaction score
Actually, the main Fraggles are there (Red and Gobo for sure), but for some reason they were only showcased for a split second at the end of the float segment. I'm surprised HBO or even the Jim Henson Company would allow so many "dead" and unprofessionally puppeteered Fraggles on that float. Cringe worthy is all I can say.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Check out the 1989 parade
The first parade I clearly remember watching! Specifically the super hero float, with Melba Moore singing "I Need a Hero"

And of course, around these years is when you started seeing A LOT of these commercials. Has their ever been a more poignant jingle?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've never been to Florida so I'm not too familiar with Publix, but I ADORE this commercial. I actually downloaded the song from iTunes, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've only been to Florida twice in my life, but both occasions, going to Publix was as much a part of the trip as anything, it was so "big city" compared to the grocery stores we've had . . . but, now I've got to wonder: since so many grocery store chains are going for that big, industrial, mini-Walmart thing, would Publix still seem special?