The Oh-So-Permanent Thanksgiving Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Oops, that post was an accident, don't think I meant to post that :embarrassed:
I've never been to Florida so I'm not too familiar with Publix, but I ADORE this commercial. I actually downloaded the song from iTunes, lol.

I lived in Florida when I was very little, I was born there actually, but i've never heard of Publix before. Judging by pictures of the store, it kind of reminds me of Kroger, Sprouts and the Whole Foods Market all wrapped into one.

Anyway, I do actually really like that commercial, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, and kind of nostalgic. It's not overly sappy like a lot of holiday commercials and the music is unique.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Never heard of Sprouts, but yes, Kroger is very common across the south (even though their headquarters are in Ohio), it's pretty much our most shopped-at chain here, but it's definitely going the route of trying to be like mini-Walmarts - like I said a month or two ago, they opened a new location in a part of town that thinks it's too good to actually be part of town, so it declares itself its own separate town, though it's really more or less just a community, where the actor playing the Soup Nazi on SEINFELD visited for their grand opening to endorse the real Soup Nazi's new line of boxed soups . . . and I'll tell ya, that place has a clothing department, a gardening department, furniture, the kinds of things you'd expect to find in a big box store like Walmart.

Whole Foods, on the other hand, that place is essentially only for crazy rich celebs to shop, because nobody can even afford to buy anything from the dang place . . . probably why the only Whole Foods we have is out in the ritzy part of town, where everything else is migrating to.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Whole Foods, on the other hand, that place is essentially only for crazy rich celebs to shop, because nobody can even afford to buy anything from the dang place . . . probably why the only Whole Foods we have is out in the ritzy part of town, where everything else is migrating to.
Never heard of Sprouts
Well yeah, Sprouts is basically the reason we stopped shopping at Whole Foods, because it's much cheaper, also, when we moved from North Carolina to Texas we had a lot more options. Plus, we never actually bought much from Whole Foods anyway, mostly just things like dried fruit and things like that. I actually have a lot of great memories of going there though. When I was little, my sisters and I would always love coming because they had all these cans of soda with flavors you couldn't find anywhere else at the time, such as "root beer and cream". It was always a treat as a three/four year old to just be there and discover random types food i'd never heard of before. And I always loved the design and atmosphere of the store. I feel extremely nostalgic about going there, but you're right, it was pretty expensive.
Never heard of Sprouts, but yes, Kroger is very common across the south (even though their headquarters are in Ohio), it's pretty much our most shopped-at chain here, but it's definitely going the route of trying to be like mini-Walmarts - like I said a month or two ago, they opened a new location in a part of town that thinks it's too good to actually be part of town, so it declares itself its own separate town, though it's really more or less just a community, where the actor playing the Soup Nazi on SEINFELD visited for their grand opening to endorse the real Soup Nazi's new line of boxed soups . . . and I'll tell ya, that place has a clothing department, a gardening department, furniture, the kinds of things you'd expect to find in a big box store like Walmart.
Yep, in the past couple of years, they've built two really big Krogers in my neighborhood. It seems a bit odd that two of the same store exist within walking distance of each other.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Be warned: I'm about to shameless plug my own videos again, sorry in advance, lol.
I actually have a lot of great memories of going there though. When I was little, my sisters and I would always love coming because they had all these cans of soda with flavors you couldn't find anywhere else at the time, such as "root beer and cream". It was always a treat as a three/four year old to just be there and discover random types food i'd never heard of before. And I always loved the design and atmosphere of the store. I feel extremely nostalgic about going there, but you're right, it was pretty expensive.
I kinda know what you mean. Food Lion's been out of business (at least in my town, anyway) for . . . longer than I can remember, but the one we had in our community when I was a tot I have strong memories of visiting, if only because the one thing I always saw when you'd first walk in was the interior decor, with a big, blown-up photograph of produce on the wall, with very eye-catching bananas. The Food Lion left in the mid 90s, and the store itself sat empy for, I dunno, over fifteen years or so, then a little, rinky-dink location chain moved in, and apparently didn't even bother to remodel or refurbish the place after they moved in, because. . . .
It seems a bit odd that two of the same store exist within walking distance of each other.
Dude, do you have any Pilot gas stations/convenience stores in your neck of the woods? Their headquarters are in my town, and in fact, our former city mayor owns the chain, so I'm telling you what's the truth, you'll actually find Pilots within a block of each other, no foolin'. It's just like the scene from SHREK 2 where they run out of Starbucks, across the street to another Starbucks. Certainly made it difficult for Bethany to try and find Steve:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh I hear you. Maybe Whole Foods was great when it first started, I don't know. But now, yeah, it's just over priced, and nothing I've ever had there seems to justify it. ::shrugs::

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is only airing once this year: the day before.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is only airing once this year: the day before.
Well that's sad. Surely ABC has room in their schedule to show it more often. Why not show it throughout the month on weekends or on Mondays, basically any day that they don't have new episodes of their shows? Or why not show it instead of some of their reruns of one of their shows? There's a whole bunch of places they could've fit it in. And what happened to them showing it on the day of Thanksgiving? That's one of the things we always looked forward to after eating dinner every year.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like I said, that's basically what they used to do: show them all throughout their respective months, but now they get by with as few airings as possible, for whatever reason it may be.

Similar with TBS: forever, they used to have like a 48-hour marathon of A CHRISTMAS STORY for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but for the last few years, they end the marathon midday on Christmas Day, then do a marathon of THE BIG DANG THEORY for the rest of the night, which I have no idea how they figure that show has anything to do with Christmas.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know what's sad that? That ours has become such a greedy, selfish, money-hungry country that there are people out there who are actually upset that there are some big retailers out there who are actually choosing to close all day on Thanksgiving. Why? No work, no pay. These people would rather rush through a holiday to get back to work and get that moolah rather than take a day to spend quality time with family and loved ones and take the time to be thankful for the things you have in life.

That's just sad.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
From the same guy who gave us Teddy's Operation before he "sold his soul" to BuzzFeed, here's Thanksgiving Etiquette, according to Ze Frank: