What sketches scared you as a kid?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Another Snuffy deal that would spark discussion would be the unaired "divorce" episode!
The almost unaired everywhere one..I saw it, but no one at wiki thinks I'm telling the truth:cry:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Another Snuffy deal that would spark discussion would be the unaired "divorce" episode!
Yup, I've thought about this before, lol. I do think it's a topic that should be discussed, even if it's upsetting. So many kids have to deal with divorce, why should other kids get to be "shielded" from it?

I recall they said they tried explaining Snuffy's Dad would be around every weekend. But kids didn't understand and thought he'd never come back anymore. That doesn't surprise me. When I was very young, I didn't recognize what a "week" meant, that came later. Also kids that young don't always understand how to anticipate. They don't trust that Dad will always come every Saturday, even if he always has.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And with the world becoming more cynical, I am not surprise that the episode's still in limbo.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Yup, I've thought about this before, lol. I do think it's a topic that should be discussed, even if it's upsetting. So many kids have to deal with divorce, why should other kids get to be "shielded" from it?

I recall they said they tried explaining Snuffy's Dad would be around every weekend. But kids didn't understand and thought he'd never come back anymore. That doesn't surprise me. When I was very young, I didn't recognize what a "week" meant, that came later. Also kids that young don't always understand how to anticipate. They don't trust that Dad will always come every Saturday, even if he always has.
My daddy didn't. I come for a divorced home since I was three and let me tell you, they aren't always true to their words, as much as I am a daddy's girl... Anyhow..I did see this episode when I was eight and there was not as I remember it, a single word about him ever coming to visit again. It did sound like he was going away forever:cry:. It was aired once on my PBS station and then never again:sympathy:...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
My daddy didn't. I come for a divorced home since I was three and let me tell you, they aren't always true to their words, as much as I am a daddy's girl... Anyhow..I did see this episode when I was eight and there was not as I remember it, a single word about him ever coming to visit again. It did sound like he was going away forever:cry:. It was aired once on my PBS station and then never again:sympathy:...
Aw I'm sorry, but thank you for sharing. That's true too, life is very complicated, you can't just sum it up in a neat episode package. Not saying it should be hidden, but it takes a lot of thought and care.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
My daddy didn't. I come for a divorced home
Again something we share in common. My dad and mom both remarried. Unfortunately, my dad's luck with women kind of stinks, considering this lady was--and is, despite the fact that without her, my step siblings wouldn't exist--a beeyotch, treating me like a rug to be stepped on. Thankfully, dad divorced her too, but now, both me and my step siblings are stuck in the middle, with me where I am, they in Kentucky, and dad in Missouri.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Again something we share in common. My dad and mom both remarried. Unfortunately, my dad's luck with women kind of stinks, considering this lady was--and is, despite the fact that without her, my step siblings wouldn't exist--a beeyotch, treating me like a rug to be stepped on. Thankfully, dad divorced her too, but now, both me and my step siblings are stuck in the middle, with me where I am, they in Kentucky, and dad in Missouri.
My ma never remarried and I lived with her, needless to say my feelings about the subject of divorce and marriage are more than a little bit dark and depressing and the episode did nothing good for me...If anything, it made me feel sorry for Snuffy, because it made even the things I was dealing with seem bright and happy next to his in how they handled it...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Maybe it's an issue where the saddness should be acknowledged, rather than made to look bright and happy.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Maybe it's an issue where the saddness should be acknowledged, rather than made to look bright and happy.
The thing is they went into overkill with it IMHO (I did see it on my PBS, I'm not crazy :frown:)..They were trying too hard to make it 'real' and in that effort, at least to me, they made it too..too everything. After all, when you make the message so dark that even little ones that have gone though it are scared and upset for poor Snuffy, and then to leave it there and act like his daddy is going forever, and never give it an ending it's going a bit too far I think...
I would have not been so scarred I think, if it had been a human child going though it, but something about it being Snuffy made the impact more for me (and not less like I've read they said they thought using him would do):cry:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know even today when they discuss divorce on Simpsons and even South Park, I really felt the pain deeply.

I might agree about using a human instead. Sort of how on Muppet Show they got rid of a scene where a character got into a fight with Harry Belafonte :smile::shrugs:: OK...lol). Jim said none of the characters could get that angry. As deep and real as they are, they're innocent and shouldn't be too into the problems humans have. Rather they serve as an inspiration. :smile: