What sketches scared you as a kid?

ISNorden

Reaction score
The big difference, though, is that children usually can't predict when someone they know is going to die (unless a family member is terminally ill and the doctor has told them so). Divorces happen more predictably, though, after a long period of trying to work out serious conflict--and the children usually get caught in the crossfire, like it or not. A storyline about divorce should have been truer to real life, not a one-episode blip on the radar. Back in the 70s, I think using human characters instead of Muppets would have helped too. After all, the first storyline with a Muppet going through major family changes involved the birth of Curly Bear...and that story is only a few seasons old.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plus, the real reason SS decided to deal with Death was that it actually happened to a real live cast member. I don't see them trying to kill off other characters because they wanted to much money, or the writers couldn't do anything with them... like a soap opera or something.

If one of the human cast members (heaven forbid) passed on, they would tackle it head on. David was the only exception. Mainly because he was written off the series before he passed on.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
If one of the human cast members (heaven forbid) passed on, they would tackle it head on.
With the ways time & other factors has changed the Street, do you think the Street would be ready to discuss such a controversial subject again?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I recall on Tough Pigs (which personally I always enjoy lol), someone posted a song that was featured on the Dutch Sesame Street regarding death:

The Dutch Sesamstraat has had plenty of "death" songs and episodes. Tommie's had a few wonderful songs about it.
Here's an mp3 clip of one of Tommie's songs, and a translation of the lyrics. I really like how they chose the term "being dead" instead of "dying."

BEING DEAD TAKES SO LONG

Being dead is not nice
Sometimes that frightens me a little
Being dead doesn't hurt
But being dead takes so long

If you're dead, you sleep quietly
You know what I'd like to know?
If you're dead, do you dream?
And what do you dream of?

Do you dream of your own street?
Do you dream of beating a drum?
Do you dream of standing on a swing
Going higher and higher?

Do you dream of seeing your mother there?
Do you hear, or don't you hear
That she called you?
Do you dream of being alive?

Being dead is not nice
Sometimes that frightens me a little
Being dead doesn't hurt
But being dead takes so long

I made myself feel too bad again
I'll just leave a little light on
With me, it'll take a hundred years
Before I have to die
While I don't agree with all the imagery, I think it's honest and real and profound. I dislike the attitude that American kids couldn't deal with it. Kids deal with death in real life all the time. It's better to have their favorite shows serve as a comfort, rather than ignoring it and pretending everything's perfect. Though I'm not saying a kids show should be morbid all the time, sometimes you need some inspiration!

Redsonga

Reaction score
Personally, I'm glad the episode about Snuffy's parents getting a divorce didn't air. CTW portrayed the opposite situation--characters falling in love, then marrying--over a more realistic time span. No episode plots, however, had even hinted at past conflicts in Snuffy's family...so it's not too hard to imagine lots of kids worrying: "What if my mom and dad decide to get divorced for no good reason, like getting mad after one little argument? Hey, it happened on Sesame Street after all..."
*sigh* Why doesn't anyone listen to me? :cry: It did air here, once like I said, when I was eight and there was a line that went something like 'just because parents fight doesn't mean their going to get divorced..but everything else in the feeling of the episode went against that...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
'just because parents fight doesn't mean their going to get divorced..but everything else in the feeling of the episode went against that...
That and kids didn't really understand the episode anyhow.