What sketches scared you as a kid?

ISNorden

Reaction score
*sigh* Why doesn't anyone listen to me? :cry: It did air here, once like I said, when I was eight and there was a line that went something like 'just because parents fight doesn't mean their going to get divorced..but everything else in the feeling of the episode went against that...

You (or a younger kid in the family) must have been part of CTW's test audience, since all the online sources I've seen say that the divorce episode failed with test groups and never aired nationally. (Even Wikipedia's article on the subject--not Muppet Wiki, but Wikipedia--makes that claim; if it's incorrect, I wonder who first said that episode was a failure?)

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well..I understood the issue and it still made me sad and afraid for them so that is saying something:eek:
I was referring to the audience who was tested by SW as the episode aired.

Redsonga

Reaction score
You (or a younger kid in the family) must have been part of CTW's test audience, since all the online sources I've seen say that the divorce episode failed with test groups and never aired nationally. (Even Wikipedia's article on the subject--not Muppet Wiki, but Wikipedia--makes that claim; if it's incorrect, I wonder who first said that episode was a failure?)
I was an only child and it was on my PBS channel..I remember thinking it was very odd because it was on at a weird time in the afternoon..my two cents is that someone at my channel might have gotten hold of a copy and played it for some odd reason that IMHO might have gotten them fired:sympathy:...
It's one of those cases were I really have no way of proving it to anyone because there is most likely no record of it, but I have a very good memory and it did happen:embarrassed:...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It could very well be that it aired. I mean Wikipedia is not always to be relied upon. (No offence to Muppet Wiki, I think it's often more accurate because it's only focusing on one topic).

wwfpooh

Reaction score
It's one of those cases were I really have no way of proving it to anyone because there is most likely no record of it, but I have a very good memory and it did happen:embarrassed:...
Don't worry. I've had similar experiences with other things too, so I trust you on this, proof or not.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I was an only child and it was on my PBS channel..I remember thinking it was very odd because it was on at a weird time in the afternoon..my two cents is that someone at my channel might have gotten hold of a copy and played it for some odd reason that IMHO might have gotten them fired:sympathy:...

Hmmm. Your station must have either gotten a "bootleg" copy (as you suggested) or been one of the test-audience stations; judging by the odd scheduling, either reason could be true. I did a Google search for "Sesame Street" (exact phrase) plus ""Snuffleupagus", "divorce", and "episode"; even after excluding wiki/forum sites, most of the results I got said that show never aired. You're pretty lucky to have remembered it in that case!

ISNorden

Reaction score
Don't worry. I've had similar experiences with other things too, so I trust you on this, proof or not.

Tell me about it...To use my own Sesame-related example: In the late 80s/early 90s, I saw an episode with a very loose "Wheel of Fortune" parody called "Sight Word". The game took place on the street, with one contestant (Maria) and a Muppet host named Matt Playback. Since Matt was a one-shot character, several people who heard me describe him said I must've imagined the whole thing. I started believing them, too...until a YouTuber whom I'd never talked to before, described exactly the same game and mentioned Matt Playback, too! Too bad I had no way of recording the episode at the time...*shrug*

wwfpooh

Reaction score
You're pretty lucky to have remembered it in that case!
Well, it's not really luck to remember something that brings forth unpleasant memories. Divorce is a touchy subject after all.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, it's not really luck to remember something that brings forth unpleasant memories. Divorce is a touchy subject after all.
It was so odd in it's sadness I couldn't help but remember it:stick_out_tongue:

Convincing John

Reaction score
But at least Mr. Rogers believed in Big Bird. XD
Uncle Wally did, too. Even though he didn't see Snuffy in the old days, he did say that he saw other Snuffle-upaguses while he was traveling.

Convincing John