What sketches scared you as a kid?

Redsonga

Reaction score
You know even today when they discuss divorce on Simpsons and even South Park, I really felt the pain deeply.

I might agree about using a human instead. Sort of how on Muppet Show they got rid of a scene where a character got into a fight with Harry Belafonte :smile::shrugs:: OK...lol). Jim said none of the characters could get that angry. As deep and real as they are, they're innocent and shouldn't be too into the problems humans have. Rather they serve as an inspiration. :smile:
I think they can deal with basic fact of life, like birth, death, emotions, love etc but when the problems get more...detailed, it gets a little bit harder :sympathy:...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just think they need to be above human problems to a certain extent, so they can help the humans they interact with. I think that's what missing nowadays, they're a bit too much like the "hip" humans and not oddly unique.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I think that's what missing nowadays, they're a bit too much like the "hip" humans and not oddly unique.
Point taken. But what about those of us who care not about being "hip"?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yup, I've thought about this before, lol. I do think it's a topic that should be discussed, even if it's upsetting. So many kids have to deal with divorce, why should other kids get to be "shielded" from it?

I recall they said they tried explaining Snuffy's Dad would be around every weekend. But kids didn't understand and thought he'd never come back anymore. That doesn't surprise me. When I was very young, I didn't recognize what a "week" meant, that came later. Also kids that young don't always understand how to anticipate. They don't trust that Dad will always come every Saturday, even if he always has.
I think the problem is that they wanted to have the divorce happen, and not have it be a past event. Sort of like Buster on Arthur. We never got into the reasons for the divorce, we never saw how it happened, when it happened, and Buster's initial reactions. We know his parents are divorced. It was discussed numerous times, but it was in the past. the character got on and accepted it.

Had they ever had an episode where Big Bird said, "hey Snuff... I never quite asked this before, but I've never met your Dad. Where is he?" and Snuffy has to explain that when he was younger there was a divorce, and they felt it was better if they didn't live with each other.... something like that. but then Snuffy says that his father's coming for one of his Saturday visits, and Big Bird finally meets him.

Of course, Alice adds to the problem.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Of course, Alice adds to the problem.
Especially since she is younger and may not--like the kids who watched the episode--understand the reasoning behind why mom and dad can no longer get along & must be seperate.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Personally, I'm glad the episode about Snuffy's parents getting a divorce didn't air. CTW portrayed the opposite situation--characters falling in love, then marrying--over a more realistic time span. No episode plots, however, had even hinted at past conflicts in Snuffy's family...so it's not too hard to imagine lots of kids worrying: "What if my mom and dad decide to get divorced for no good reason, like getting mad after one little argument? Hey, it happened on Sesame Street after all..."

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Had they ever had an episode where Big Bird said, "hey Snuff... I never quite asked this before, but I've never met your Dad. Where is he?" and Snuffy has to explain that when he was younger there was a divorce, and they felt it was better if they didn't live with each other.... something like that. but then Snuffy says that his father's coming for one of his Saturday visits, and Big Bird finally meets him.
You know I agree, that might have cushioned it better! The calm after the storm.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I mean it was a good try, it hadn't really been done much before. And their attempt to handle death had been so successful.