Do you think Labyrinth 2 should be made?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Technically, there is one, but in manga form. The first volume is a little, well, "fanfic-y", but it gets deeper and more satisfying as the volumes progress. The last volume is in August. I doubt they'd ever make a movie, but I'd like to see one that is either a prequel or a sequel similar to Return to Labyrinth. I'm writing a video game treatment over in the fanfic section (sorry, shameless plug). I like the tension between Jareth and Sarah, but I'm not a true J/S shipper. There's a lot more psychologically interesting stuff besides just making sure the male and female stars get together.

Drtooth

Reaction score
First of all, comics and cartoon spin offs rarely count. Of course, it seems that they DO have more and more influence as of late. I just can't picture Monsters Inc. 2, but Boom's 4 issue miniseries did have some insight on that, and it worked... even managing to link up the universe of Toy Story and Monsters Inc (I'm a firm believer that everything, with the exception of Cars and maybe the Incredibles, that all the Pixar films sync up into one universe). But that's beside the point.

there are 2 ways I can answer this...

Not every movie needs a "2." There are so many great films that stand alone as it is... maybe a cartoon spin off, maybe a comic... something like that. it's so rare to see a sequel live up to the first, especially in the occasions (like this one) where a sequel is 10-20 years after the first one. Look at Son of the Mask. Was there any call for that to be made? After Jim Carrey turned the second one down, they should have either done one based off the sequel to the comics or just not bothered at all.

Secondly... and this is the snarky answer, Henson has enough problem getting Dark Crystal 2 and Fraggle Rock off the ground. The last thing they need is a third movie stuck in development purgatory.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
True. On the other hand, would there be a big audience waiting for the next Muppet movie without all of these tie-ins? Sometimes, especially if you know there might be some effort involved in packing the theater, it's better to explore other outlets for your property to increase awareness and broaden your base. The Hensons are just barely doing the "flooding the market" thing that Disney is doing. Yes, Red is popping up inexplicably at conventions ... but where is everyone else? Where is mention Dark Crystal? Yes, we have comics (for the above and Labyrinth), but that's about it. Is there NO ONE with vision at this company? At least the folks trying to get FR out are trying (still think Youtube Matt segments would be a great lead-in, particularly if him getting lost is the main plot of the movie ... we could see his adventures and then not hear from him ... BOOM ... we're ready to get him back in the movie).

I, too, tend to see a "Pixarverse". I don't know about Cars, as I've never seen it, but the bugs from A Bug's Life apparently live in the same neighborhood/city as the Toys, and Boo had Jessie, IIRC. Mr. Incredible was on a magazine IIRC in Nemo, but that's ambiguous about how real he was in that universe. He could just be a comic book character.

Not every movie needs a two, you're right. However, the ending to Labyrinth leaves us with a sense that it's not all wrapped up. The whole POINT of the movie is for her to put away childish things and the first thing she does when she gets back is get a party with fantasy friends? Jareth's reprise of Dance Magic also alludes to the possibility it's not over, as is the music video where we see "End" or something crossed out on a copy machine. It seems apparent this movie was thought to be something that could be exploited later, and we know from hearing stuff about Fraggle Rock how much Jim hated endings, but even with Fraggle Rock, it's not like they all die or anything. You could've made a sequel based in the Desert for all we knew, so I don't know why he griped about it so much. Heck, it's like Aughra says, "End -- begin." It's all the same if you think about it. The only ending I know of that basically shoves "THE END" down our throat is Dinosaurs. Everyone else gets some wiggle room.

it's so rare to see a sequel live up to the first, especially in the occasions (like this one) where a sequel is 10-20 years after the first one. Look at Son of the Mask. Was there any call for that to be made?
Is the new Tron out yet?

Secondly... and this is the snarky answer, Henson has enough problem getting Dark Crystal 2 and Fraggle Rock off the ground. The last thing they need is a third movie stuck in development purgatory.
It's not snarky. At least, not to me. It's a valid concern. However, what one does is keep everything on the table and then pick the one you're closest to making and do that first, and then do the others in succession when you can. The Hensons can't afford to get bogged down in projects. They need to devote themselves to at most two so that there can be some quality involved.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I, too, tend to see a "Pixarverse". I don't know about Cars, as I've never seen it, but the bugs from A Bug's Life apparently live in the same neighborhood/city as the Toys, and Boo had Jessie, IIRC. Mr. Incredible was on a magazine IIRC in Nemo, but that's ambiguous about how real he was in that universe. He could just be a comic book character.
Well, as far as Cars goes, the movie takes place in an alternate Earth where the only life on the planet are sentient vehicles with no human drivers... essentially no actual living things... no people, no bugs... everything is a vehicle. So there's NO way they could tie that in (unless Wall*E ended badly... not giving anything away though). Other than that film, even talking animals had to coexist with humans. Bug's Life? The humans were unseen, but they were there. Incredibles I give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe superheros CAN exist in that universe, as it's not widely reported, and the Incredibles seems to take place in the 50's and 60's anyway.

But trust me when I say this...the Monsters Inc comics bridge the gap between Toys Story and MI. There's a certain bratty kid who's afraid of toys in the third issue... all I'm saying.

Not every movie needs a two, you're right. However, the ending to Labyrinth leaves us with a sense that it's not all wrapped up. The whole POINT of the movie is for her to put away childish things and the first thing she does when she gets back is get a party with fantasy friends? Jareth's reprise of Dance Magic also alludes to the possibility it's not over, as is the music video where we see "End" or something crossed out on a copy machine.
I agree that there is always the possibility for a "what happens next?" And a LOT of movies that didn't have sequels should have. Problem is... not every sequel manages to spend the movie wrapping things up or even adding decent stuff to the continuity. A LOT of these movies even throw out the events of the first movie and any loose ends and go for something completely different... and sometimes, that's the worst thing you can do. The Mask sequel... That is a prime example. Again, you have an actual comic book series to base the movie on, but they didn't. Jungle Book 2 could have used the ACTUAL book as the source instead of tacking on stuff that didn't need to be tacked on. So even if a movie deserves a sequel, whos to say it will even get the sequel it deserves?

Is the new Tron out yet?
What the heck's the deal with that anyway? Was that supposed to be out this summer? Are they even still releasing it?

But these kinds of delayed sequels usually wind up ticking off the fan base, and even when they're good, purists manage to whine their head's off. Look at Indiana Jones 4. I thought it was pretty good. But then of course, Cats and Dogs 2,... why did it take them 10 years to bother doing another? Especially since half the jokes are almost 10 years old too... I mean, Hamster Dance reference? Does anyone even remember that?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Tron Legacy, Coming 12/17/2010... Just in time for those of us who celebrate birthdays around Christmas as well. Just like Greatest Muppet Movie will be that next year.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
And yes, I think Labyrinth 2 should be made. As soon as we finally get Return to Labyrinth Volume 4 next month. My long-standing thought is that you have the perfect sequel already done for you right there. Put the four issues together, change it to script format, and you're in business. Anyone agree?

Drtooth

Reaction score
And yes, I think Labyrinth 2 should be made. As soon as we finally get Return to Labyrinth Volume 4 next month. My long-standing thought is that you have the perfect sequel already done for you right there. Put the four issues together, change it to script format, and you're in business. Anyone agree?
Hmmm... interesting notion. but then again, if the comic is a perfect sequel, why bother filming it in the first place when you already have something that's done with a small fraction of the cost of a big budget film? Seems that comics and video games are vastly becoming the surrogate sequels. We're probably never going to get the Ghostbusters people to iron out all the details to get that third movie going, but we do have that game they made, as well as several different comic series.

Tron Legacy, Coming 12/17/2010... Just in time for those of us who celebrate birthdays around Christmas as well. Just like Greatest Muppet Movie will be that next year.
Ah! The horror stories of so many movie projects that are announced and in development that somehow disappear are all too common now. Pedovan's never going to happen, and if nothing happens with Hoodwinked 2, the sequel will be a Burger King Kid's meal that came out months ago.

I guess Disney shelved the project until the Holiday movie season because they felt Sorcerer's Apprentice would do better on the Summer months. Not that I really wanted to see Tron 2, I was just curious about it.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Technically, there is one, but in manga form. The first volume is a little, well, "fanfic-y", but it gets deeper and more satisfying as the volumes progress.
I agree, although currently I'm only halfway through the second book, along with several other books, such as the third part of the Kingdom Keepers series. :busy:

The last volume is in August.
A bit off topic, but has the Dark Crystal series come out yet? :scary: