Do you ever feel ashamed for liking Sesame Street?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I was very young when Snuffy was considered 'imaginary.' I wish I could get another chance to see those eps.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I sort of get a tiny bit ashamed that I still watch Sesame Street. But I still watch it anyways. Some of the classic SS could make some people laugh (especially the Reporter Kermit sketches, bloopers/goofs, etc.) but they just think it's "kiddie". :smirk:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't watch the show now; it's a shadow of what it was, and I'd hesitate to show it to my kids. But I have bought many of the old school DVDs and watch them all the time. As far as that goes, no I am not ashamed. Sesame Street is an important part of TV history. :wisdom:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Do i ever feel ashamed for liking Sesame Street?

Only when Elmo's World is on.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Believe it or not, a couple of staff members at the nursing home where I live won't let their preschoolers watch Sesame Street--because they believe that infamous rumor about Bert and Ernie. So when they come into my room, I change the channel as soon as I can grab the remote; and I keep the volume way down just in case. Being a 42-year-old in a nursing home is hard enough, but being a Sesame Street fan with no kids or grandkids has gotten me mistaken for a dementia patient. Ouch!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Believe it or not, a couple of staff members at the nursing home where I live won't let their preschoolers watch Sesame Street--because they believe that infamous rumor about Bert and Ernie.
I'm sorry, but ANYONE who believes that "rumor" is the product of the very same thing I'm always complaining about. It's like, "Oh! We don't want television or anything brainwashing our kids to be tolerant... we want to brainwash our old prejudices that were brainwashed into us... BRAINWASH!"

Brainwash is the most over used word in the English language, I feel.

But denying Sesame Street because of something suggested by certain people who want to control certain people with fear so they can continue to do a-moral things? That's insipid.

Think of it this way, you're at LEAST perpetuating a TV show that promotes love and peace and the wonder of childhood.

It's as I said, it's a harmless idiotic joke when drunk stoner college students read into it for immature jokes, but it's downright dangerous in the hands of dangerous politico-religious manipulators. At least the college kids are wasted... they have that excuse.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I have no shame in liking Sesame Street or any of the other things I'm into that might not be considered "hip" or the norm today. I like old black and white films, I have every season of Three's Company on DVD, I love listening to big band music as well as 80s alternative/new wave, I wear classic horror movie shirts to work, I couldn't give a Rizzo's behind what other people think about my interests :smile:

Katzi428

Reaction score
On You Tube I have a section of SS & Old school E.C (Electric Company) clips that I like. Am I embarassed? (Well,maybe a little ) But like someone said, it's like "comfort food".
Something bugs me though. Back when I watched SS as a kid,they only taught kids to count to 20 the highest (but only one of the numbers 2-10 would ever be the sponsors at the end of the show.) Now they're teaching them to count to 40? Did they think my generation was stupid?

MelissaY1

Reaction score
On You Tube I have a section of SS & Old school E.C (Electric Company) clips that I like. Am I embarassed? (Well,maybe a little ) But like someone said, it's like "comfort food".
Something bugs me though. Back when I watched SS as a kid,they only taught kids to count to 20 the highest (but only one of the numbers 2-10 would ever be the sponsors at the end of the show.) Now they're teaching them to count to 40? Did they think my generation was stupid?
Katzi, no they briefly mentioned this on the special 20 Years and Counting that's now on DVD. They expanded the curriculum as the years went on. I guess they just wanted to stay basic and as the years went on, figured ok, the kids handled 1-20, lets' try 40. And you're right, #1 always got shafted in the "brought to you today..." portion of the show.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I have no shame in liking Sesame Street or any of the other things I'm into that might not be considered "hip" or the norm today. I like old black and white films, I have every season of Three's Company on DVD, I love listening to big band music as well as 80s alternative/new wave, I wear classic horror movie shirts to work, I couldn't give a Rizzo's behind what other people think about my interests :smile:
*GASP* Such language at the end Melissa!:wink:
But seriously, you're right.I like oldies (50s & 60s ) music.And I have every season of "The Odd Couple" on DVD.People shouldn't care what we think.
Now back to our regular thread.