Do you ever feel ashamed for liking Sesame Street?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Just curious as to what you might think the reason is for people not vewing things as not as fun as they used to be. I could be wrong, but it's just a guess.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Just curious as to what you might think the reason is for people not vewing things as not as fun as they used to be. I could be wrong, but it's just a guess.
well it's always been common to outgrow things there's nothing unusual about that so quite honestly I wouldn't expect those who watch the show as youngsters to continue when they pass the target age. some people might find something in a show like SS that keeps them watching. Ziffel probably pointed it out well of making it watchable or grownups or older siblings to watch with the young ones. also sorry about sounding to critical. I didn't quite understand what you meant at 1st.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
I watched Sesame Street regularly until I was around nine years old without feeling "weird" about it. After that age, I would wait until someone was out of the room and turn the volume of the tv up so very softly so that it could hardly be heard. As soon as someone walked in, I would quickly and so obviously change the channel, being that we had a television with one of those biggole clicking knobs for turning the station. I was a bit self-conscious about my love of Sesame, even though no one in my family told me to stop or made fun of me. I think my parents thought it was a phase I'd eventually grow out of. (Well, I'm 35 and still haven't grown out of it!)
I watched the show intermittently (when I was home alone) from the time I was about 9 to my teenage years when I met a friend my age who secretly told me she watched Sesame, too. So, at that point in our lives, we didn't care anymore what anyone thought and would hang out after school watching Sesame St. and reruns of the Monkees with total abandon. It was liberating! It was great! Her parents just rolled their eyes at us and thought we'd been smoking something wacky. But since then, I've been nothing but proud to call myself a die-hard Sesame fan.....and will always be. :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
well it's always been common to outgrow things there's nothing unusual about that so quite honestly I wouldn't expect those who watch the show as youngsters to continue when they pass the target age. some people might find something in a show like SS that keeps them watching. Ziffel probably pointed it out well of making it watchable or grownups or older siblings to watch with the young ones. also sorry about sounding to critical. I didn't quite understand what you meant at 1st.
That's cool and thanks for the answer. Correct me if I'm mistaken anybody, but I think that the reason a lot of us Muppet Fans don't find SS as fun as it used to be is simply because in a way' we kind of grew out of it. I know a lot of people might take affance to this, but I'm gonna go out on a lim and say it anyway. Like I said fell free to respond anybody.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Look at how much the show has changed over the years

I seriously doubt the reason us fans don't think the show is as good anymore is because wev'e grown out of it. The show has changed dramatically over the years and it isn't the same kind of show it used to be. Heck, in 2002 the entire format changed. What wer'e used to is the original "magazine" format which Carroll Spinney calls it. So it's not us that have changed it's the show. The show is still a good show. But it's not the way we remember it. So therefore to us it's not as good. If we were all saying the show isn't as good and the show was still exactly the same as it was 20 years ago, and all the same humans and Muppets were still there and they still had the original format and still had old clips from the 70's, then I'd say yeah it has to do with us growing out of it. But it's different when you look at the show itself and how it has evolved.

ssetta

Reaction score
I mean, I agree that the show isn't as good as it used to be, and there are no old reruns on TV at this point in time, but I mean, I still love the old SS dearly. And I have had people say it can be a problem, but I don't think it is.

Now this may not be SS-related, but in a way, it is. Okay, I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I am a member of this program called Springboard, with other people with my disease and high-functioning disabilities, and once a month, we always do some activity together. But they have 3 functions every year with all of Springboard. There's the dance in May, the picnic usually in September or October, and the Christmas party in December. Well, we had the annual Springboard picnic, and it's held at a place called Lars Andersen Park in Brookline. It's a huge park, but the party was being held at the pavillion, and they rented the softball field for the annual softball game. But near that area, there was also a playground with swings. And I love to swing on the swings at the age of 20, so I went on the swings. And then Cheryl, the director of Springboard, said, "Geoffrey! C'mere!" So, I got off the swing and went to her. She said, "Okay, I know that you like to swing, but...I think you should stay over here with Springboard. I mean, it's one thing to just go wandering off, but, how old are you?" And I said, "20." And she told me that she thinks I should be doing more adult things. And I got really upset and I said, "Well, I DON'T AGREE!" And she knows all about my interest in SS, and she doesn't find anything wrong with liking it, but she says you have to keep it a secret, because it is odd for someone my age to like Sesame Street. But I just never saw it as a show that was just for kids. I saw it as a show for everyone. I mean, even when I was a little kid, I KNEW that I was gonna like this show for my whole life, and I still love it to this day, and I will probably still be watching SS when I am an old man, warm in my bed.

Rosewood

Reaction score
ssetta said:
And I love to swing on the swings at the age of 20, so I went on the swings.

If it makes you feel less alone, I'm 37 and I love to swing,too! In fact, back in august on my birthday, my mother (who is in her 60's), and my grandmother (who is over 80), and my husband and I, took my 2 daughters down to the park thats 2 blocks from our house. My husband brought his camara and got a picture of 4 generations of mothers and daughters - sitting in the park swings! Afterword (with grandma gracefully bowing out on this one), my daughters, my mother, and I, all swung as high as we could on those things! That's a 20 month old, a 3year old, a 37 year old and a 65 yr old, all swinging on a swing set at the park! And (get this!) my mothers psychology therapist had recomended she do it! He claims it is a good way to help you get in touch with your "inner child". (Fortunately I have been lucky enough never to have lost mine.) But if you ever want a response to come back at that director with, give her that one!:big_grin:

Censored

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
That's cool and thanks for the answer. Correct me if I'm mistaken anybody, but I think that the reason a lot of us Muppet Fans don't find SS as fun as it used to be is simply because in a way' we kind of grew out of it. I know a lot of people might take affance to this, but I'm gonna go out on a lim and say it anyway. Like I said fell free to respond anybody.

Well, whenever I get to see pre-1990 episodes of Sesame Street, I still thoroughly enjoy them. So, I definitely didn't outgrow it across the board.

Xerus

Reaction score
I also noticed when a Muppet stars on the Hollywood Squares. The contestants sometimes try to avoid picking the Muppet as much as they can. I guess these contestants prefer to live in the adult world. :cry: