1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Do you ever feel ashamed for liking Sesame Street?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by BooberFraggless, Oct 27, 2005.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

I know what you mean Xerus. Interestingly though, in the late 80's whenever Alf (I know not a muppet) was on it seemed like he got picked a lot. :)
  2. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

3. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

I love Sesame Street too at 34.

Here's a question we should all ask ourselves:

Do you think we all like SS because it's something from our childhood that we cling to because it reminds us of fond memories from when we were young?

Is Sesame Street like "comfort food" for the soul?
  4. Pino

Pino Member

Right with you... I love it how they use lovely coloured fleece and hairy cloth to make loveble creatures. It makes my day when I see something from Sesame Street. Only a pitty I dont know anyone else to watch a movie with me or to share other Sesame Street things
  5. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

For me there is certainly that nice nostalgia from my early childhood days that is present with SS. But, I really do love the show for itself too. I thought it was an absolutely brilliant and fun to watch program. Whenever I saw the old clips again in the 80's and 90's I felt they were magnificent and far superior to the new material on the show. So while just seeing anything from the early 70's is kind of special simply do to the fact that it was the era of my earliest memories, I think SS is one show that was awesome on its own merits as well. For instance, I would enjoy some nostalgia from seeing children's shows like "The New Zoo Review" and "Zoom" again, but would not find the shows themselves nearly as pleasing as SS.
  6. superfan

superfan Active Member

Exactly, Pino!! Finding someone to experience it with you the way you do is very tricky! Thankfully I convinced my co-op student to watch my A&E Biography tape. She's talking it home with her tomorrow. It KILLS me that I can't watch it with her to guage her reaction to certain things.
  7. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I guess this is a good place to post this. I sort of felt ashamed the other day. A while a go I was talking about "Sesame Street" on IM with someone on this forum. (I won't drop any names or anything like that.) Then last night, I found someone on IM with a similar screenname. I thought it was the person. Then when I asked if the person still watches the show and mentioned that I've seen it, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. To make things worse, I found out I was talking to a girl that I found through a dating site. Only I didn't realize that until later on. I really felt embarassed about that. I guess if that girl doesn't talk to me anymore, I'll know why. I just thought I'd post it here. Maybe talking about it with fellow Muppet fans would make me feel better about the situation.
  8. BooberFraggless

BooberFraggless New Member

Hey Ken, believe it or not. You really have nothing to worry about. While some people might tell you it's not cool what happened, well then those people are old fashioned. See years ago the ideal man that all the girls wanted was usually rugged, tough, an outdoorsman mabye. Well wer'e in 2005 now, girls like guys who are innocent, and kids at heart. Believe me I know. I have always impressed women more by acting sensitive and somewhat innocent, then I have by acting tough and macho. This girl won't mind that your'e into Sesame Street believe me, she'll probably think that's it's very cute that a guy your age likes this show. This has always been the result for me when a girl finds out I like it. Things aren't always as they seem. I'm never afraid of admitting it, I just come right out and say it.
  9. Daffyfan2003

I'm glad I finally got a response here. I did send another e-mail to her. Whether still respond or not, I don't know. Every girl is different, so this girl might not have the same opinion as girls you talked to. She might be 'old-fashioned.' Then again, you might be right. After all, it seems like she's into Spongebob. I guess we'll just wait and see how things go. Either way, thanks for responding. That helped me feel better.
  10. MJTaylor

MJTaylor Member

Well, for most of my childhood I had no problem watching Sesame Street. Then a week before my 13th birthday my brothers and our cousin Susan gave me a hard time because I wanted to watch it and they were watching the other channel. (We only had two channels in those days.) They told me off for wanting to watch a 'baby show'. I had come to expect that from my brothers but not Susie. So I spent the next 12 years feeling embassed at still being into Sesame Street. Then at 25 I discovered the WWW and found out that there were many other adults in the same boat and now I no longer feel alone. So thank God for Phillip Chapman and Muppet Central.
    Still, the show is not as good as before. I wish I could see the early shows once more. Even the ones where the grown-ups thought Big Bird was imanging Snuffle Upagus. I used to hate those, but now that everyone sees him, I think I would see the funny side.
  11. Daffyfan2003

I know what you mean. I was very young when Snuffy was considered 'imaginary.' I wish I could get another chance to see those eps.
  12. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

I sort of get a tiny bit ashamed that I still watch Sesame Street. But I still watch it anyways. Some of the classic SS could make some people laugh (especially the Reporter Kermit sketches, bloopers/goofs, etc.) but they just think it's "kiddie". :smirk:
  13. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I don't watch the show now; it's a shadow of what it was, and I'd hesitate to show it to my kids. But I have bought many of the old school DVDs and watch them all the time. As far as that goes, no I am not ashamed. Sesame Street is an important part of TV history. :wisdom:
  14. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Do i ever feel ashamed for liking Sesame Street?

Only when Elmo's World is on.
  15. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Believe it or not, a couple of staff members at the nursing home where I live won't let their preschoolers watch Sesame Street--because they believe that infamous rumor about Bert and Ernie. So when they come into my room, I change the channel as soon as I can grab the remote; and I keep the volume way down just in case. Being a 42-year-old in a nursing home is hard enough, but being a Sesame Street fan with no kids or grandkids has gotten me mistaken for a dementia patient. Ouch!
  16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but ANYONE who believes that "rumor" is the product of the very same thing I'm always complaining about. It's like, "Oh! We don't want television or anything brainwashing our kids to be tolerant... we want to brainwash our old prejudices that were brainwashed into us... BRAINWASH!"

Brainwash is the most over used word in the English language, I feel.

But denying Sesame Street because of something suggested by certain people who want to control certain people with fear so they can continue to do a-moral things? That's insipid.

Think of it this way, you're at LEAST perpetuating a TV show that promotes love and peace and the wonder of childhood.

It's as I said, it's a harmless idiotic joke when drunk stoner college students read into it for immature jokes, but it's downright dangerous in the hands of dangerous politico-religious manipulators. At least the college kids are wasted... they have that excuse.
  17. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

I have no shame in liking Sesame Street or any of the other things I'm into that might not be considered "hip" or the norm today. I like old black and white films, I have every season of Three's Company on DVD, I love listening to big band music as well as 80s alternative/new wave, I wear classic horror movie shirts to work, I couldn't give a Rizzo's behind what other people think about my interests :)
  18. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

On You Tube I have a section of SS & Old school E.C (Electric Company) clips that I like. Am I embarassed? (Well,maybe a little ) But like someone said, it's like "comfort food".
    Something bugs me though. Back when I watched SS as a kid,they only taught kids to count to 20 the highest (but only one of the numbers 2-10 would ever be the sponsors at the end of the show.) Now they're teaching them to count to 40? Did they think my generation was stupid?
  19. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Katzi, no they briefly mentioned this on the special 20 Years and Counting that's now on DVD. They expanded the curriculum as the years went on. I guess they just wanted to stay basic and as the years went on, figured ok, the kids handled 1-20, lets' try 40. And you're right, #1 always got shafted in the "brought to you today..." portion of the show.
  20. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

*GASP* Such language at the end Melissa!;)
    But seriously, you're right.I like oldies (50s & 60s ) music.And I have every season of "The Odd Couple" on DVD.People shouldn't care what we think.
    Now back to our regular thread.