Do you ever feel ashamed for liking Sesame Street?

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else felt this way. I love Sesame Street, in fact I'm IN love with Sesame Street, and will always feel that way. But over the years some people have said some very mean things. I remember around second or third grade when it started becoming not so age appropriate anymore. The kids would laugh at me when I told them about something I saw on the show. And would say things like "you STILL watch that????" Eventually I had to pretend that I didn't like the show anymore, just to appease everybody. It was embarassing for me if a family member caught me watching it (which did happen sometimes) It's funny how most kids get to be 7 years old, and want nothing to do with the show anymore. Yet people like us, still love the show very much, and keep up with all the facts wev'e accumulated over the years. I'll admit the show isn't as much fun as it once was. But it's still nice to watch because it has all our old favorite friends on there. Well some anyways. But sometimes I feel ashamed for loving this show so much. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Rosewood

Reaction score
There is no reason to feel ashamed for liking SS.

BooberFraggless said:
I was wondering if anyone else felt this way. I love Sesame Street, in fact I'm IN love with Sesame Street, and will always feel that way. But over the years some people have said some very mean things. I remember around second or third grade when it started becoming not so age appropriate anymore. The kids would laugh at me when I told them about something I saw on the show. And would say things like "you STILL watch that????" Eventually I had to pretend that I didn't like the show anymore, just to appease everybody. It was embarassing for me if a family member caught me watching it (which did happen sometimes) It's funny how most kids get to be 7 years old, and want nothing to do with the show anymore. Yet people like us, still love the show very much, and keep up with all the facts wev'e accumulated over the years. I'll admit the show isn't as much fun as it once was. But it's still nice to watch because it has all our old favorite friends on there. Well some anyways. But sometimes I feel ashamed for loving this show so much. I just don't know what to do anymore.
It's a well known fact - when kids are young, they want nothing as bad as to be able to be a "grown-up". And they will do anything to make themselves appear to be as such, including being cruel to other kids who simply wish to enjoy their short time of innocence. If these "eager to grow up" kids only knew how fast it was really comming at them, I think they might change their tune, quick! The true fact is that, in their hearts, these bullies probably love SS as much as the kids they make fun of. And once you have built yourself a reputation it's always going to be there to uphold. It's sad to think that these kids are forcing themselves into such a situation, just for the measley reward of popularity. I remember when I graduated from highschool: all the kids who had been super popular durring those years were suddenly no more important than anyone else around them. And it turned out that the ones who walked away with the scholarships were none other than the kids the popular ones had labeled as "nerds" and "bookworms" and dumped head-first in the trash cans all the time. (Guess who got the last laugh there?) If your grown up and you like something like SS there is nothing to feel ashamed about. I am nearly 40, but I have always concidered myself a kid at heart. It's something I have never been ashamed of. In fact, when I was dating, I used it as a way to get a picture of exactly what kind of person I was dealing with. (If the guy asked me to choose a movie to go to, I'd pick the first Disney movie I could find, and then see what kind of reaction I got. Talk about a true blue color revealer!) Besides, if being "grown up" and still enjoying SS is "abnormal" than I guess everyone here on this forum better start watching their backs for the funny farm wagon!:wink:

Censored

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:

I mustn't be too ashamed. I've got Sesame Street puppets hanging on the walls of my home for all the guests to see. LOL

mikebennidict

Reaction score
it would be foolish on my part to say it's strange to watch a kids show. while there have been times that I didn't watch it as an older kids there were many times where I did. Unfortunatly I've always had trouble mentioning me waching SS being older and it's not just what others think there probably something inside of me that says this is odd but fortunatly it's never really stopped me from waching it whenever i felt like it. if 1 were to ask why and mentioned how strange they thought it was I would say yeah I hear what you're saying I naturally have something inside that says the same thing. I SS has something in the show witch can entertain anyone of any age. There are parts of it witch aren't as easy to watch and it has changed where it isn't as interesting for me to watch but sometimes there are some parts of it that are interesting and i's nice to see the regualers, many of them who have been on for so many years and obviously still enjoy doing it.

Ziffel

Reaction score
The makers of SS always knew parents would be watching along with their children too and thus included many things that adults would get and chuckle at. And for us adults now, we not only can enjoy those things but also enjoy the nostalgia of the things we loved as a small child. It's great television and nothing to be ashamed of at all. I have brought up SS many times as an adult to other adults without any embarrassment or scorning reactions. About the only time I really remember getting knocked or ridiculed for watching SS was around 4th through 7th grade. But kids can be insecure then and boys have to act so "macho". I suspect that some of the ones who said, "You mean you still watch Sesame Street?! LOL" still watched it themselves but had to publicly pretend they ceased it long ago. :smile:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Well, it's not as if you don't watch other shows as well. So no need to worry. :wink:

I don't like telling people I'm a muppet/sesame fan when it comes up in conversation, because I get weird looks. Sesame is cute and I always watch it when I'm home sick, as a childhood flashback, so I have a very good reason for that. ^_~
But with the muppets, noone seems to remember/think that they were an adult entertainment vessel, primarily. And when I insist that it's (although not really mature :wink: ) rather adult, noone listens. So yeah it bothers me. But hey, they're fun, and I like them, so I don't put too much worry into it. I love the music primarily, and the characters and comedy make me go like this --> :big_grin:

F

furryredmonster

I am not ashamed at all. I am a proud SS watcher. Even when I get older I will be. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Yes, people say mean things but who cares. I have to live thorugh all my friends calling Elmo and such bad names. Words dont really matter. Sure, I get kinda upset and mad.... but words are words.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well let's see, around the time I got into the third grade, I was made fun of for being an SS fan, and look where it got me: I intern at PBS!

superfan

Reaction score
I watch it whenever I can, I even rewatch my A&E SS Biography and a host of other Muppet-y specials. I told my new coworkers up front that I'm a big Muppet fan and they seem mildly amused at best. I've got Cookie Monster, Kermit and a few other SS toys in my daycare room; just for the kids to look at. Not to touch! And of course my collection at home is all over my daughter's room, in our computer room and in the living room. Can't escape it. I'm always trying to find ways to sneak in SS trivia into daily conversations, too.
The tricky part is not telling people of your interest, it's finding ones who are like-minded about it.

Xerus

Reaction score
I don't see SS as a show just for kids. I see is as art. Where puppeteers, writers, and cartoonists can show off their works and talents. I'm a cartoonist and I've always dreamed about making a cartoon or two for Sesame Street.