Do you ever feel ashamed for liking Sesame Street?

janicegroupie

Reaction score
I always where my SS clothes proudly. People usually find my love of SS ( and other Muppet productions) cute, funny or immature. When it come to SS the truth it's a funny show. I have to admit I'm more of a classic fan but I'll still like some of the new stuff. People just have their own definitions of what's adult and if you don't fit in that mold your labeled as forever a kid. But it's nothing to be embarassed who wants to be like everyone else. And the truth is despite what society may think many of the skits are adult, the music is great (only the adults can truly appreciat the covers) and puppetry is an artform. Beside in middle school when I got mad fun of for wearing an Elmo shirt I've never really felt too much a reason feel ashamed. It just adds to me being an individual.

Censored

Reaction score
The funny thing is that I did feel a little embarrassed about watching Sesame Street when I was in my teens and 20's, but now that I'm in my late 30's, I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about it. LOL

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Amen to that, janicegroupie!! :big_grin:

By the way, Wal-mart is THE place for SS shirts. I've got a few from there and I just saw some new ones the other day.

Ziffel

Reaction score
And actually, GeeBee, if classic SS comes on dvd some day I'm sure we would be so excited and that it would definitely come up in conversation to people. I've told people outside here about the upcoming "The Electric Company" dvds and haven't felt embarrassed. Heck, it's even aimed at adults who were kids back in the 70's, after all!

By the way, this thread brings to mind a thread where I asked a question that was a little along these lines. It was mainly curiosity about how much you all talk about SS and the muppets outside of this site to people in general. I never got a reply in that thread, but some of the responses in this thread have addressed that idea. :smile: Here was that thread.

janicegroupie

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Amen to that, janicegroupie!! :big_grin:

By the way, Wal-mart is THE place for SS shirts. I've got a few from there and I just saw some new ones the other day.
Thank you. :smile: The need to conform is something that has always annoyed me with the world today.
And thanks for the tip. I haven't checked Walmart much for SS shirt but I'll have to start. Kohls and Target are also pretty good plus all 3 stores are a whole lot cheaper than the ones I used to buy at Hot Topic but just as cool.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I see I almost pulled a ziffel on janicegroupie! But she wisely used the quote feature for quoting Mrs. Pepper so it wasn't a break in the pattern of thought after all. Nicely done. :crazy:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
superfan said:
I even rewatch my A&E SS Biography
Oh, I watch it all the time! I just love behind-the-scenes footage, especially the muppets and Sesame Street.

Labyrinth Fairy

Reaction score
lol and yeah, comeon, why be ashamed of watching ss? I bet those kids in 2nd grade still watched barney and didn't tell you or anyone else.......

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Labyrinth Fairy said:
lol and yeah, comeon, why be ashamed of watching ss? I bet those kids in 2nd grade still watched barney and didn't tell you or anyone else.......
I'll admit, I did watch Barney, until they changed the whole show: (new cast, new set, new puppet characters, new title and credit sequences, etc.)

BEAR

Reaction score
I am really glad that someone started this discussion, because it is something I have somewhat been thinking about ever since I joined this forum. Since I noticed the thread, I have put off for a while on answering because I needed time to truly collect my thoughts on it because I feel it is important. Because Sesame Street has had such a profound influence on my life and beliefs, I didn't want to just jump in and post something, I wanted to really think about what I want to say. I am not answering yet. I still need a little time, but what all of you have said so far has been pretty much my thoughts exactly, and I cannot tell you how truly inspiring you all are. My responses coming soon because I will probably have a lot to say. Stay tuned!:wink: