How is Jerry Nelson doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Well, think about it, guys. Imagine you're a Muppeteer, one of the best there is and one that's been working since the mid 1960s on countless projects. After all those years of being in the spotlight and after all that work, wouldn't you want some rest and privacy?

I got a card from Jerry in January of 2000. It has Jerry's, Floyd's and the Count's signatures on it. I still have it and every time I look at it I feel like a million bucks. It will always make me feel that way.

Pork, and anyone else, just write to the Sesame Workshop address with a good old fashioned letter. It may take a while for a response, but you might be surprised! My card came months after writing to Jerry.

After all Jerry's done for us Muppet fans, we should be nice to him by:

Respecting his privacy
Hope and pray he stays healthy
Keep on posting on how much we love the Muppets and the positive impact they and Jim Henson have had on our lives.

With as much happiness Jerry's work and characters have given me, I wish I could do something incredibly awesome in return for him. If I had a Donald Trump budget, I'd get Jerry something like an all-expense paid vacation to some tropical island for his upcoming birthday. He could chill out on the beach as the sun sets, listen to the rolling waves and order room service from some swanky hotel. Of course, while he's on the beach he can still do some counting to keep in practice. "One, two, three, FOUR! Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah!"

:wink:

Seriously though, it's cool Jerry has a Facebook page somewhere out there. But it's much, much better that his work and characters are both touching the hearts of old fans (like me) and are introducing themselves to little kids everywhere watching Sesame Street for the first time. Jerry's work is just plain magic folks...and like Gobo once said: "You cannot leave the magic.":smirk:

Convincing John

Robin

Reaction score
WoW! people are so bonkers about this... I dont even have words! LOL!:batty:

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Happy birthday, Mr. Nelson! Hope you have a great birthday!

(Yeah, it's after midnight my time and I'm typing this. So what?)

:batty: :sing: :smirk:

~ AnimatedC

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Convincing John above has it absolutely right. The best way to honor Jerry right now is by respecting his privacy and keep him in our thoughts and prayers. I heard that he was just in the hospital again recently, but he came home a few days ago and is resting comfortably. Not much energy, but his friends are keeping him company and lifting his spirits. I know we all want to see him healthy and happy so do keep him in mind.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Convincing John above has it absolutely right. The best way to honor Jerry right now is by respecting his privacy and keep him in our thoughts and prayers. I heard that he was just in the hospital again recently, but he came home a few days ago and is resting comfortably. Not much energy, but his friends are keeping him company and lifting his spirits. I know we all want to see him healthy and happy so do keep him in mind.
Thanks for this, Stephen.

I think I had posted a thread with the rule of maintaining the respect of the company people.

Here it is:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=22372&highlight=respect

Luke

Reaction score

RyGuy

Reaction score
I haven't literally met Jerry Nelson but from what I read he sounds like a gentle, sincere man What's amazing to me is that he didn't really have a heyday . As Robin the frog states . he truly did "Leave us some magic "

Thank you Jerry for all the generousity, laughs and your singing is truly handsome to listen to . You're a truly wonderful gentleman.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
And the things is it's so amazing that he gives one hundred percent to his characters wish so much energy and passion despite the problems he has and is going through in his life. He just keeps going and doesn't let it stand in his way! That's amazing and a true hero and inspiration.

zns

Reaction score
I know this question was posed a long time ago but I have had other things on my mind and have not read or posted for quite a while. It is long and boring but I have had health issues for a couple of years now. Different ones. I have COPD which is cronic obstructive pulmonary disease generally and emphysema specifically.I have had this for fifteen years or so but only in the last four years has it become problematic. Two years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and went through radiation treatment sucessfully. This spring I was in the hospital with pneumonia and am still recovering from that. Complicated by the COPD, this recovery process takes some time. I am happy to say that as of this posting I do intend to work with my old friend Count Von Count again this next season.

To all who have written, I thank you and apologize for not responding.
You guys are the best fans ever.

Jerry Nelson
I know that this is an old forum and that I already gave you my best wishes, but I wanted to say something anyway. I must say Jerry that you have really been a special person to the Muppets and that you mean the world to all of us here at the forum. I once saw you in New York at the Kaufman Astoria Studios during the last day of shooting season 39 of Sesame Street (4/10/08). I noticed that you were busy shooting inserts with the Count so I didn't want to disturb you while you were working, plus they wouldn't let me stay in the studio too long since they had other visitors coming in (I was invited by Martin P. Robinson who I met at a '07 Puppet Festival in 2007). I saw you when you came in during the afternoon shooting and I was thrilled when you said hello to me when you passed by me. I know I didn't get to talk with you, but having you say hello was just as good. I'm currently doing work in puppetry while I am in college and hope to have a career in it, hopefully with the Muppets (I have a video on youtube.com) Anyway, I know that this might sound cheesy and a little too preachy, but I just had to say this.

By the way. I made up this little poem not too long ago for you as a way of saying thanks from all the fans. I hope you like it:

Mr. Nelson Is...

Mr. Nelson is
A clueless detective,
Flexing his fuzzy and blue muscles,
As he "counts" the number of times he says those magic words,
"A La Peanut Butter Sandwiches" Ah Ah Ah :batty:

Mr. Nelson is
A fish throwing bass player,
Crooning his famous love song.
His amphibius uncle runs the theater,
But he still manages to stay strong and tall,
No matter what it takes. :sing:

Mr. Nelson is
A brave and daring explorer of the caves,
With a great big "Trash Heap" of wisdom.
He's not only the king of the Universe,
But he's also the Pa of a "Dumb Son of a Gun":smirk:

Mr. Nelson is
A man of heart and soul.
He lives each day to the fullest extent,
With as much courage as possible.
He's the man we all want to be.

God Bless you Jerry. We all love you

Zachary Snyder

Status
Not open for further replies.