In Development: Henson's Fraggle Rock Movie

Luke

Reaction score
I still don't get what Henson Co is thinking? They can get funding for unknown animated pig DVDs but not enough interest to get a Fraggle film in actual production? Procrastination is the only reason I can think of. :smirk:
It's only direct to dvd Pig material though, i doubt it'd be as easy for them to get stuff out as fast theatrically, and its good name voice talent but not a-list. I'm not knocking it but its no Shrek.

I have to say its very encouraging the other companies involved co-producing with Henson though. I'm more than sure Henson could get a Fraggle film out direct to dvd anyway, but that actually gives me some hope for an eventual theatrical release.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
They can get funding for unknown animated pig DVDs but not enough interest to get a Fraggle film in actual production?
The Fraggle film (from what I've gathered) is not being held up due to lack of interest, financing, or any other kind of "business" difficulties. Yes, Henson is still in pre-producion on the film, but they still want to be in pre-production. They are continuing to work the story, vision, script, and concept of the film while assembling a cast, crew and design - so if anything it would be "creative" difficulties preventing it from geting into actual production, not lack of interest. Henson is pretty tight-liped about the film but from what I've heard, there haven't been any real big difficulties (business or creative) in the development of this film yet - they just aren't rushing into it at light-speed. Henson originally projected a 2009 release and, last I heard, they are still on-track for that.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Fraggle film (from what I've gathered) is not being held up due to lack of interest, financing, or any other kind of "business" difficulties. Yes, Henson is still in pre-producion on the film, but they still want to be in pre-production. They are continuing to work the story, vision, script, and concept of the film while assembling a cast, crew and design - so if anything it would be "creative" difficulties preventing it from geting into actual production, not lack of interest. Henson is pretty tight-liped about the film but from what I've heard, there haven't been any real big difficulties (business or creative) in the development of this film yet - they just aren't rushing into it at light-speed. Henson originally projected a 2009 release and, last I heard, they are still on-track for that.
Thanks Greg for the word on that. It's precisely what I don't understand though. It's like how they kept dragging their feet with the Muppets before selling to Disney. It shouldn't be taking this long from their end. It was going this slowly well before the writers strike. Original reports were that this film was to be in the can over a year ago. I have faith in the Fraggles and the project, but just don't understand the procrastination on the creative side. It appears to me the issue is specifically about the script - a departure for the Fraggle gang. I know there are many creative people around here that can hammer out a great script. I know that's not how it's done. I'm simply saying that if fans here can do it what's the hold up with the real Henson/Fraggle screenwriters (pre-strike)? :excited:

Luke

Reaction score
I know Zappa submitted a draft last year but his schedule has been pretty busy since, and it was said a few months back Henson had a draft they were going forward with. Not sure if thats the same draft or if its still his "baby" as nothings been mentioned.

unclematt

Reaction score
I hope it is still Ahmed's baby. I think he was a very wise choice to bring into the Fraggle family

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Personally, as long as we don't hear that the project has been scrapped, I think no news is good news. I'm hoping that it means that they are taking to time to make sure that they do it right, and make a film that they can be proud of and that all the nostalgic fans will enjoy.

unclematt

Reaction score
I hear ya loud and clear. I dont want it to just be thrown together.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's good to know they just have a few creative differences. Worst case scenario, they just get a new writer or something (Similar to what happened with the Fat Albert film).

Other than the strike and the possibility of the Director's strike, the only real thing keeping this film down does seem to be distribution. I don't see why it wouldn't get any backers, and yet unintellegent parody movies with as many at the moment jokes they can cram i nto 90 minutes are constantly in bargaining. I really think that the Weinstine company, if they're backing the DTV's should help them out.

Reaction score
I hope they just don't keep pushing back the dates like they kepp doing with dc2 (dark crystal-2 power of the crystal)

Redsonga

Reaction score
I actually think them taking a long time is a good sign :smile:. Better a well planned out meaningful movie than a rushed out, updated to be 'cool', meaningless money maker movie :wisdom: !