Should Sesame Street continue after season 40?

Should it end?

• Yes, it's run its course.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No way! We need it!

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well a lot of fans don't mind Elmo as a character, they just object to his monopolizing the show. Plus, the show in general is a bit more childish in its humor now, unlike the "old school" which tried to expose kids to grown up humor and references. In The Works book, it talks about how Jim Henson recognized kids could be a "sophisticated audience." And Richard Hunt said at Jim's memorial, "The Muppets touched the part of kids that was grown up."

ISNorden

Reaction score
Well a lot of fans don't mind Elmo as a character, they just object to his monopolizing the show. Plus, the show in general is a bit more childish in its humor now, unlike the "old school" which tried to expose kids to grown up humor and references. In The Works book, it talks about how Jim Henson recognized kids could be a "sophisticated audience." And Richard Hunt said at Jim's memorial, "The Muppets touched the part of kids that was grown up."
Exactly! When I watched the show as a girl, the characters didn't talk down to me just because I was a child. Yes, I liked the nursery-rhyme and cartoon material, but my enjoyment didn't end there. I felt as if I were part of everything that happened on the Street, even when the adults joked about adult life. Only one Muppet (Cookie Monster) had anything close to a toddler's speech patterns, but that was OK; hearing the child characters talk in everyday English gave me a real feeling for language. It's a shame that Sesame Workshop has lost faith in children's ability to understand and learn from the whole world--not just the child-customized aspects of the world.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly, I think they were feeling the competition from other kids shows, it's a tough business. One of the drawbacks of trying to put education on television, you have to depend on the ratings.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That is very true and I can see how you have to take that into consideration. It's like a good and bad thing at the same time. They originally wanted a lot more shows similar to come out, but they ended up having to compete with them. But I guess that's how it works out sometimes, I suppose.

muppet baby

Reaction score
:smile: Oh well yes i know what you mean about aduilt humor and exposeing kids to that to a point , there are some great kids programs that can do that i ran across some those as a child of the 1980s he he he he .

There where several series of movies in the that time frame that she did that .
They were great , all in all sesme street i hope that it will be around for years to come .:smile:

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I say no. There is a reason that Sesame Street has been on the air for forty years.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I know. It's really to much of an American institution to have to end. and even a world wide one.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I changed my mind

I really think it should stay.I think it has been dumbed down a bit but kids need Sesame Street.They need to know there letters and numbers.