The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It's true Alvin stills the spotlight. But there is a lot more focus on Simon and Theodore in comparison. And it's not know Eleanor was an undeveloped character who they could have used more often...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's true Alvin stills the spotlight. But there is a lot more focus on Simon and Theodore in comparison.
Thanks mostly to Janice Karman, wanting to make sure that none of them were ever underused, hence early on her having a little emotional breakdown because Simon didn't get as much fanmail as Alvin and Theodore did, so she vowed to make sure Simon shone through a bit.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Thanks mostly to Janice Karman, wanting to make sure that none of them were ever underused, hence early on her having a little emotional breakdown because Simon didn't get as much fanmail as Alvin and Theodore did, so she vowed to make sure Simon shone through a bit.
Yeah. I rememebr you mentioning that. How cool was that they she got Simon more exposure and attentinon as a character!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess what they say is true about the writing reflecting the characters.

Kind of like the earlier seasons of M*A*S*H, when the writers pretty much made Hawkeye the main character of the show, while Trapper was reduced to being a sidekick, which resulted in Wayne Rogers eventually leaving the show.

But then thing of it is, when you have ensemble series like these, it's difficult to make sure you write equally for each character, especially considering that different people are going to relate to different characters, and of course, different people who are into different couples.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well you obviously have to go with he most famous one, but you can sort of alternate the characters around every ones in awhile... Can't you?:confused:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes, but again, it's nice to make sure that you try to write equally for all the characters.

It's difficult, because even in my fanfics, no matter how hard I try, I always end up making Simon and Jeanette the "stars", though I HAVE manage to write one that focuses equally on all six of them, mainly because it had six different sequences that focuses on each individual character.

It's also kind of the same with the sitcom I'm developing; although the main cast includes four characters, I always find myself focusing more attention on one and less on the other three.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well you obviously have to go with he most famous one, but you can sort of alternate the characters around every ones in awhile... Can't you?:confused:
Yes. For example, loads of Titans episodes focused on Robin because of his well-known background, but yet, each season seemed to also focus specifically on one character (season1 [Robin], season 2 [Terra], season 3 [Cyborg], season 4 [Raven], & season 5 [Beast Boy]), sans Starfire, whom the creators felt had enough stand-alone episodes to make herself a well-rounded character.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
although the main cast includes four characters, I always find myself focusing more attention on one and less on the other three.
Yeah, I can see how it would be kind of difficult to focous of all of the characters when you are writing a script.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see how it would be kind of difficult to focous of all of the characters when you are writing a script.
The problem really comes into focus if a show focuses too much on one character.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The problem really comes into focus if a show focuses too much on one character.
You kind of have to give focous to one at a time, Maybe a B plot with somebody else... But like the rules of television dictate, as one character becomes more famous or popular then the other (ala Urkel, Miss Piggy, etc.) You have to give them more air time...