Your Thoughts: Dark Crystal and Labyrinth Anniversary DVD's

cabbageheat

Reaction score
Just the toons

No, not the Super Mario Bros movie. Just the saturday morning toons, that were recently released on DVD. Not that that particular set was the standard in "how to put a DVD together" but I certainly expected more from the Henson company.

My point was, here was a simple cartoon, given better treatment, then a cult classic, that has sold millions (with almost every release) and deserved more respect and creative energy to really see a stellar release. I believe, the only thing really worthy on this new set is the commentary. Though (i've said it before, and I"ll say it yet again) something from Frank Oz and Trevor Jones would be fantastic.

If you were lucky enough to pick up the collectors edition, to me, that is the definitive version (minus the commentary, which would almost knock it out of the park).

I just think this is the first time I've picked up these movies and was really underwhelmed. I think they dropped the ball, pure and simple.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
No, not the Super Mario Bros movie. Just the saturday morning toons, that were recently released on DVD. Not that that particular set was the standard in "how to put a DVD together" but I certainly expected more from the Henson company.
I have the first volume, and I really like those cartoons. I don't think those sets have too much great bonus features. Then again, I haven't bought this new Dark Crystal DVD, and don't have any of the previous DVD releases. Just the 1993 video release.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, these sets are really underwhelming. There were actually some very thoughtful boxed set treatments of Labyrinth and Dark Crystal a couple years ago.

Here's a webpage on the past Dark Crystal set

And here's one forum entry about the specs of the Labyrinth set

These delve a little bit deeper than in the MC review pages.

The new interviews are kind of cool, but even the graphic design and silkscreens look stale and ordinary. I'd hate to say it, but it appears Disney's packaging of Muppet items is so much more thoughtful (while being cost-effective) than the Henson Company's latest offerings.

Those manga comics...(shuddering) it all just appears that Henson Co. is in dire need of some quick cash. I hope all is okay with them. I am a little concerned. :smirk:

At least they're doing some A+ work with the Fraggle releases. I am looking forward to the CD set. :excited:

Laszlo

Reaction score
I agree with all points.
I also think the cover artworks are really bad. Lame booklets too.
I have to say I have the German versions. I don't know how the booklets of the US Version look. Does anyone have pictures?
Thanks!

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
The 3D effect on the boxes are pretty good but I have to agree that the bonus features are not as good as they could have been. I wanted to see uncut, raw footage from Jim Henson's archives rather than it being intercut with the interviews. I haven't listened to the commentary from Brian Froud yet but it does seem that each Labyrinth and Dark Crystal release gets slightly better... but not by much.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
eh

The 3D effect is neat on the box, but the overall design is fairly ugly. Pretty much for both sets. I'm hoping to squeeze in some time this weekend to hear the audio commentaries.

I really hope they get their act together for the 30th anniversary, or whatever release is planned next. As of now, this is the last copy I will ever own (granted I have 3 now, since each one has a bit more then the other, really aggravating).

If your still on the fence, wait until the price goes down, they are currently not worth the price point. the only thing on here, worth owning, is the commentary themselves. So if you have the Collectors Edition, you pretty much have the best of the bunch. Tread lightly.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Well, I do need a new copy of Dark Crystal (my old DVD of it is stuck in my previous, now non-functioning computer) and I need Labyrinth on DVD. So if you don't have DVD's of those two, are they still worth getting or should I track down the older DVD's?

cabbageheat

Reaction score
i guess

wow. thats a tough question.

It really depends on what you want. I think if you went to Best Buy, you would find about 3 different versions of each film. (I have the original DVDs's, the Superbits, and now this mediocre set, and unfortunately missed the collectors editions).

I guess I would get the newest sets, based on the new transfer and audio commentary alone. You will at least get the documentaries that came with the previous dvd's as well. these sets are almost identical to previous releases, and offer very little that is new and engaging, but at least you will get the newest digital film transfer and 5.1 audio.

that is my 2 cents. if you had already owned multiple releases, I would say steer clear of these, but since you need new ones, you might as well. i would wait for a sale though. . .or by them used.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
All right. I'm probably going to go get them when I get FR: Season 3 so I'll just see. Basically, if they have the new editions of either movies and the original or Superbit editions (I don't think finding the collector's edition is likely), go with the new edition. Seems to work.