The "Back 2 School" Thread

Beakerfan

Reaction score
It's ok Claudia. I have the suffer from the same ailment. (I also have a thing for dead people) Elvis, Humphrey Bogart, Bob Hope, Andre the Giant....... Makes me sad.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Did you know Bob Hope was actually born in London? His real name was Leslie Townes Hope. He became a U.S. citizen in 1920. As a young man, it is said that Hope did a brilliant impression of Charles Chaplin, and won several contests, impersonating the famous movie star.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
*SQUEEAAALLLLLLLLLL*

SOMEONE HAS SEEN HIS MOVIES! OMMMMGGGGGG! I.Love.You.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

The Great Dictator was AMAZING! Who knew he had such a light voice?
Then again...he was old.

The Kid made me bawl. I cried sooo hard when they tore the kid away from him. I was all like "NOOOOO! LET HIM GGOOOOO!"

Fun fact: That little boy played the original Uncle Fester....amazing huh?

Who knew the little squirt would grow to be such a star?

---

Chaplin, in my opinion was a strange fellow but that was what made him so WONDERFULLY different from the modern-day stars!

I remember I had to do an essay on him in Highschool!
It was so long...they had to cut me off because I was mumbling madly on how handsome, intelligent, strange, blunt, flexible, ....*an hour later*

and TALENTED! REALLLLL ACCTTINNNGGG!

Dude, you can become famous within a second!

Though at that time...different story! You had tah be right on Cue! Very precise and very easy to interpret through emotion, silence, and even action!

*Swwooooonnn*

Erherm...I have a thing for dead people.

Wait...that is terrible...

Fun fact: The Jim Henson studio was once Chaplin's place...cool huh?
No doubt about it, Chaplin was brilliant at pantomime. He once said something like, "give me a park bench, a pretty girl and a policeman, and I'll make a film out of it."

In his early years on stage, one of Chaplin's peers was a young man named Arthur Stanley Jefferson, who knew all of Chaplin's routines, and took over for him when Chaplin left the company. Jefferson would later be very well-known under his professional name, Stan Laurel.

Chaplin made his first film, "Making a Living" for the famous Mack Sennett in 1913, not as the Tramp character, but as a rather seedy gentleman with a drooping mustache.

Although Chaplin worked for Sennett, he didn't care for the filmmaker's knockabout comedies that were churned out almost on a daily basis and mostly improvised on the spot. Chaplin persuaded Sennett to let him direct a film, and the difference was noted by several critics. This led Chaplin to leave Sennett, and begin his long career as an independent filmmaker.

Chaplin was known to direct every movement of his actors, including bit players and extras. He would perform the routine, and expect the actor to reproduce it exactly, miming Chaplin's every gesture. Many, many years later this would cause a problem on Chaplin's last film, A Countess From Hong Kong (1967), in which he forced star Marlon Brando to go through his (Chaplin's) motions.

Although he grew up poor and virtually unschooled, Chaplin was known in later years as a well-read intellectual, who rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous, including William Randolph Hearst and Albert Einstein.

Chaplin's last wife, Oona, whom he married in the 1940s, and lived with until his death, was the daughter of tragic playwright Eugene O'Neill. O'Neill is said to have disliked Chaplin intensely, and refused to speak to Oona ever again once she married Charles.

Shortly after his death, Chaplin's body was stolen from its grave and held for ransom. The body snatchers were caught, and the body was re-buried in a secret location.

That must have been some essay, Claudia! You were actually cut off? Wow!

I've seen most of Chaplin's films. I've seen all the features, but there are several shorts I haven't gotten around to. At one point, he was the most recognizable figure in the world.

I'm pretty sure I first became acquainted with Mr. Chaplin via Sesame Street. There used to be a lot of Chaplinesque sketches performed, I believe, by the actress who plays Maria.

Yup, Jackie Coogan, the Kid himself grew up to be Uncle Fester!

I never knew Chaplin's studio was the Jim Henson Studio in later years. Interesting. I have heard, however, that the studio is supposedly haunted!:eek:

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Did you know Bob Hope was actually born in London? His real name was Leslie Townes Hope. He became a U.S. citizen in 1920. As a young man, it is said that Hope did a brilliant impression of Charles Chaplin, and won several contests, impersonating the famous movie star.
I knew that! I did this whole long bio/research report on him in like, my sophomore year. I called it "Bob Hope - 100 years of making the world laugh"

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
I loved reading your in-depth post, Winslow!

Yes, you've got his quote nearly as exact as if he had said it himself. Nearly verbatim but then again I know his quotes exact thanks to my fantatic tendencies. I feel my heart break on how his parents turned out to be such messes though if that did not occur then for sure he would never have served as an utter inspiration for me. Neways, I never knew that of Mr. Hope! I am still trying to get over the fact the man passed away. He was sometin' else. I think the most painful celebrity death was Richard Hunt--I consider him one. He always has been in my heart, atleast.

I actually found a pic of Charles without the makeup. He looks soooo different though some say "Not my type!" feeehhh! They gots no class ye hear?

http://silentgents.com/ChaplinC/Chaplin115.jpg

Charles passed away on a calm Christmas morning in 197x something...don't remember.

*Sobs*

That man was the Macdaddy of the 1930's...having married so many times to--sometimes minors. :stick_out_tongue: Rawr, wish I was born at that time--I'd flirt till he just giggles and offers a pale hand. I'd take it until he'd realize what a total nightmare moi is and RUN FOR HIS LIFE! But he is my precious! YES! MINE! YEEHEEEHAHAHAHA

*Dragged away by the police and claimed as utterly insane*
---

Going on a more comforting subject that does not involve my total girliness!
What would you have considered to be the best topic in school you've learned about? Something that some of yeh thought to be completely interesting?

I doubt school is TOTALLY horrid.

: D I liked learning about Adolf, Stalin, Ghandi ect.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
BeakerSqueedom said:
I loved reading your in-depth post, Winslow!

Going on a more comforting subject that does not involve my total girliness!
What would you have considered to be the best topic in school you've learned about? Something that some of yeh thought to be completely interesting?

I doubt school is TOTALLY horrid.

: D I liked learning about Adolf, Stalin, Ghandi ect.
Thanks, Claudia!:smile:

Chaplin died Christmas day, 1977. The same year as Elvis and Groucho Marx.

Did you know "Adolf" and Charles were born only four days apart in the same year, 1889?

The subjects I enjoyed were literature, history, music and gym.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I knew that! I did this whole long bio/research report on him in like, my sophomore year. I called it "Bob Hope - 100 years of making the world laugh"
Really? That's so awesome! And that's a groovy title, too!

Bob was a jokester right to the end:

I'm so old, even my blood type is obsolete!

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
HAHAHA!
That was a good one!

XD I should start saying that line....