Old School Volume 2 coming November 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Based on the listings on Muppet Wiki, I don't think we'll have to worry about music clearance problems this time. The only things that will probably change from the broadcast masters are the copyright screens.
But remember, episode 536 had a non-music segment cut as well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was just looking back at the Muppet Wiki pages for the episodes that will be released, and I wonder if Noggin might have cut The Subway from the 8th season premier. I noticed that that page mentioned that that episode has a cartoon takinhg place on the subway. I wouldn't be surprised if The Subway either followed it or preceeded it (though with an Ernie and Bert sketch following that cartoon on the Noggin version, I wouldn't be surprised if it came before that cartoon, unless this song followed the cartoon and then was followed by another segment that was cut on Noggin).

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Based on the listings on Muppet Wiki, I don't think we'll have to worry about music clearance problems this time. The only things that will probably change from the broadcast masters are the copyright screens.
Not quite; the "Fisherman Song" is a copyrighted song in show #796. Plus, the Noggin version had edited something out, possibly a bad joke.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Not quite; the "Fisherman Song" is a copyrighted song in show #796. Plus, the Noggin version had edited something out, possibly a bad joke.
But since "I Whistle a Happy Tune" was not edited from the release of #131, then anything's possible.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Great news! I finally found a list of the bonus segments! Here's the site:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&EAN=891264001182&itm=2

SEASON SIX
Telephone Rock
Richard Pryor: Alphabet
Here is Your Life, Loaf of Bread
Arthur Ashe: Over/Under
Magic Pig Calypso Song
Don Music: Mary Had a Little Lamb
Pointer Sisters: Swingin' Alphabet
Super Grover: Stopping the Fight
Henson Ball High Wire #3
Richie Havens: Wonder Child
Twiddlebugs: Postage Stamp
Subway Song
Jose Feliciano: Arroz con Leche
Chicken Hatching
Kermit News: Jack Jumps Over Candlestick
Helen Reddy: Grow
Broom Adventures
City/Country Song
Season 6 Credit Crawl

SEASON SEVEN

*NOTE: Judy Collins' song did indeed make it to the episode.

Pinball Number Count #4
Kermit and the Weather Salesman
Buffy Sainte-Marie: Wynkin Blynkin & Nod
Don Music: Yankee Doodle
Alone Song
Marshall Grover: Away From
Grover Invents the Wheel
Follow the Leader
Pinball Number Count Remix #1-12
Season 7 Credit Crawl

SEASON EIGHT

Cookie Monster Disco Song
Paul Simon: Me and Julio
All Out of Food
Lobster Fisherman
Dog Flea Camp
Bert's Physical
Too Doors with Bob
Swamp Mushy Muddy
Season 8 Credit Crawl

SEASON NINE

It Feels Good When You Sing a Song
Bert and Ernie: Slice of Life
Ray Charles: I Got a Song
Fonzie and Cunningham: Brushing Teeth
Taxi Sounds
School Pageant: Seasons
Madeline Kahn: Sing After Me
Fireworks Alphabet
Ten Commandments of Health
Season 9 Credit Crawl

SEASON TEN

Grover Disco: Alphabet Song
Kermit Casting Director
Imagination: Dogs
Llama at Dentist Song
Bert Teaches Pigeon Checkers
Lost Dog Flyer
My Favorite Number is Six
Old West: Letter Y Box of Crayons
Season 10 Credit Crawl

Overall, this set definitely doesn't dissappoint. According to the article, there is also a hidden feature on disc 3.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I guess that the Cookie Monster Disco Song is Cookie Disco, since Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco features Elmo, who wasn't around in season 8.

So we will get two Pinball Number Count segments (#2 in two of the episodes, and #4 as a bonus feature), plus the remix that was included in the What's the Name of That Song? DVD.

There are a lot of segments that I was hoping would be included, such as Sinister Sam wanting to know who took the last box of crayons, The Twiddlebusg hanging apostage stamp, and Grover inventing the wheel. It looks like five segments with Kermit will be included as bonus sketches. I wonder what "Kermit casting director" is. I've hear dof a sketch where Kermit held auditions for a big bad wolf. Maybe that's it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have read that the ball wire film is from season two. I guess all previous sources were wrong (unless Sesame Workshop is). It's odd that it's listed as "Henson Ball Wire #3", because Frank Oz directed it, not Jim Henson (but I guess there's no evidence that Henson didn't do any different work, such as producing, storyboarding, or writing it). Maybe the booklet wil explain.

Though I hadn't seen any official sources, I thought that the sketch where Grover sold Kermit weather was from either season three or four. Since this one had already been released on video, it would have been great if the sketch where Grover gave Kermit ears was included instead.

I wonder if "taxi sounds" features Simon Soundman. And I wonder if "chicken hatching" could be the segment where Kermit counts four eggs.

It seems like each season has plenty of bonus sketches this time. The secodn season had only a small number of bonus skits, and the number of bonus skits for season 4 and 5 were only slightly better.

I wonder why the Old School chapter stops refer to the Sesame Street News segments a s"Kermit News". Could that be the official title, despite the "Newsflash" title card and Kermit referring to it as "Sesame Street News"?

I wonder what the "Follow the Leader" and "Bert and Ernie: Slice of Life" sketches are.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
And I wonder if "chicken hatching" could be the segment where Kermit counts four eggs.

I wonder what the "Follow the Leader" and "Bert and Ernie: Slice of Life" sketches are.
I think the "Chicken Hatching" refers to a film, with music by Joe Raposo. The "slice of life" clip could refer to the sketch where they share apple pie.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... It could also be the sketch where Bert and Ernie supposedly share slices of pepperoni pizza too.
Thanks for the list of bonus segments MuppetDude... Some of these rully put asmile on my face like the classic version of Sing After Me and Subway, and Arroz con Leche is a classic nursery song/lullaby for us PR folks... Super excited to pick this up and FR Season 3 in a couple of weeks.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Happy to help. Looking back at the list, there are a few I would've loved to see on the set (namely "I Want a Monster to Be My Friend", but since it's retired, it probably will never resurface), but there's tons of good stuff on this set that make up for it. There were quite a few unexpected segments as well (TWO Don Music segments?). I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

Here's some previews via Youtube:

Richard Pryor Alphabet:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eJh_EUrEAZg

Here is Your Life, Loaf of Bread:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dHwocoxd5X4

Magic Pig Calypso Song:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uw4XgiNRUnA

Don Music: Yankee Doodle (dubbed in Portuguese):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fNItqTVTX-I

Llama at Dentist Song:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sgkYHhG18uc

Status