Do Folks Do This To You..?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Yeah I'm sorry you got that reaction. I've been pretty lucky to have family and friends who tolerate my interest (for the most part hehe). But I have a friend who said she got the same reaction about Disney, like, "Why are you still watching those?" But I think people who say things like simply don't understand. And it is their loss, hehe. You can't take life too seriously. :wink:
Oh, I totally agree with you!:smile: You think I let those folks who tell me I'm too "grown up" to watch "children's" entertainment put me down? Heck no! As you say, it's their loss. And I love how people assume anything animated is just for kids.

Larxene

Reaction score
If you're a dude, you might get some funny looks if you collect My Little Pony anyway :wink: just kidding.
Good thing I'm a girl then, right? :excited: I should seriously show some pics of my room: very bright, very playful, very childish with toys all over on display - open and in packages and I love it. I can't imagine ever being happy in a plain bedroom or a plain computer room. When my sister was a child, her friends always thought my room belonged to her (we're 14 years apart in age) and would go there first! I do wish adults would understand the whole deal but.. eh.. I'm not gonna stop liking Muppets because of a few sour pusses. I might get a bit peeved by it though. (Totally need a scrunched face Kermit icon here).

About the Biggest Loser: Wow, someone who feels the same! I'm struggling with my weight and those shows make me feel horrible about myself. This is prolly why I prefer Sesame Street and old sitcoms to modern TV. I too would rather watch Elmo's World than most of what's on TV (At least Elmo is never negative and bitter!)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'd rather watch a million hours of Elmo's World than one second of reality TV
Hey now let's not get carried away! Hehe jk.

But yeah some of those shows just take advantage of vulnerable people.

Drtooth

Reaction score
About the Biggest Loser: Wow, someone who feels the same! I'm struggling with my weight and those shows make me feel horrible about myself.
Yeah, I really can't stand that show for 2 reasons (reason one is top top tip top secret personal matter), and that reason I gave you was one of them. I find it exploitive and just humiliating to watch, especially the opening "gorgefest." Yeah, let's throw a stereotype out to people so they can laugh and not think that underneith all that is a human who wants to be loved and respected like everyone else. But hey, the masses want what they are told what they want. I've been likening everything I've seen on television lately to something I saw in a cartoon. Basically, I feel a lot of it is to make people dumber so they can make dumber decisions.

But getting back to the root of the matter... yeah, this is annoying. Even with Family Guy, ATHF, South Park, etc. Cartoons are still considered a "Kiddy" medium where as some guy gets a ball thrown at a very vunerable area (and we all know what it is) and that's supposed to be high art. Pheh.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think people all have a "good taste" secton of their brain and a "bad taste" section. These shows simply feed into the bad side that everyone possesses. The way audience used to enjoy people being thrown to lions. These shows would go away if people simply refused to watch them. But it's not that easy for everyone when it does tap into that part of the brain.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Well..my older brother teased me a bit when I bought "The Electric Company : Volume 1" for myself But when I gave it to my niece (who was 6 at the time),he somewhat ate his words (pardon the pun:wink: ) when he saw how much she enjoyed it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well..my older brother teased me a bit when I bought "The Electric Company : Volume 1" for myself
Is this the same Electric company that launched the career of one of our finest actors, Morgan Freeman? The same one that utilized the talents of a young Bill Cosby before he became a (justifiably) grouchy old dude? Even if I appauled kids stuff, I'd respect that show for the brillaint piece of history it was.

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
I know that feeling.
My mother always scolds me for looking into this Muppet site or even looking into a Jim Henson production.

"What else you gonna buy Claudia? Muppets in the toilet, Muppets in the kitchen, Muppets in planet mars?"

"Claudia, you're a young adult in college. Grow up, buy something better...I prefer that you buy a silent film rather than this sock puppet stuff."

I nearly cry.

"Ordering a Muppet Show vid?"

I get funny looks too.
I comes to a point where I can't even go into the muppet section or something without being dragged away. I can't buy a muppet video..so I have to actually SNEAK buying it.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
No, I've been fairly lucky so far. We're all Muppet fans one way or another in my house. (but I'm the only one who likes Fraggle Rock) And when I went to pick up season 2 of TMS, the clerk at the checkout desk and I got into a brief but animated discussion of all things Muppet.