Do Folks Do This To You..?

Drtooth

Reaction score
"Claudia, you're a young adult in college. Grow up, buy something better...I prefer that you buy a silent film rather than this sock puppet stuff.".
When someone calls the Muppets "Socks" that's the equivillant of saying the N word to me. It is the most offensive thing in the world IMO. Sock puppetry is what 3 year olds do for a rainy day project. Tell her it costs thousands of dollars and many skilled people to make just one background character. Socks INDEED!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I did get told to stop reading certain kids books at one point, lol. Which I could definitely understand, but it was purely for nostalgic value. Thankfully, as you get older and begin making your own money, hehe, you can buy your own things (wisely). :smile:

Katzi428

Reaction score
Is this the same Electric company that launched the career of one of our finest actors, Morgan Freeman? The same one that utilized the talents of a young Bill Cosby before he became a (justifiably) grouchy old dude? Even if I appauled kids stuff, I'd respect that show for the brillaint piece of history it was.
Yep....that's the one Dr. Tooth.:smile:
(I wouldn't go so far as to say Bill Cosby's a grouchy old dude though.Let's just agree to disagree,OK?.:wink: )

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Is this the same Electric company that launched the career of one of our finest actors, Morgan Freeman? The same one that utilized the talents of a young Bill Cosby before he became a (justifiably) grouchy old dude? Even if I appauled kids stuff, I'd respect that show for the brillaint piece of history it was.
I used to be a faithful viewer of The Electric Company, too. Of course I had no idea who Morgan Freeman was back then, but I knew Cos from "Fat Albert." I also enjoyed the contributions of Skip Hinnant (Fargo North Decoder) and Rita Moreno ("hey you guys!") I watched the show again when it aired on Noggin eons ago now it seems, but have yet to pick up the DVDs. But when I was a kid, my PBS station would air Sesame Street around 4:00 and The Electric Company at 5:00.

Larxene

Reaction score
Oh get the DVDs, they're wonderful and I got a big kick out of seeing this stuff as an adult and getting the jokes that were over my head as a child!

Beakersqueedom, I got that all through my 20's from my family. "Why are you buying that pony toy?" "That's a doll, you're 25 years old, you don't need a doll." but when I bought a bottle of wine or an expensive t-shirt, I never heard a peep. I use to hide all my toy buying, my mom use to be absolutely ruthless in the snide remarks department. I don't understand why an adult enjoying a toy makes other adults so uncomfortable. Maybe they'd like to enjoy the toy too!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well sometimes the reason is they themselves feel uncomfortable liking kid's stuff; they know they'd get made fun of. So then they're resentful when other people enjoy their interests with no fear.

Or sometimes you just resent something you don't understand. At least that's been my experience. :smile:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Oh get the DVDs, they're wonderful and I got a big kick out of seeing this stuff as an adult and getting the jokes that were over my head as a child!
Heh heh, I plan to! It'll be great to see Easy Reader, Fargo, J. Arthur Crank, Jennifer of the Jungle and those awesome cartoons (Letter Man, etc.) again!

Java

Reaction score
I get the remarks and the crazy looks too. But next thing I know, they here me talking about the dvd that I got of FR, TMS, SS and they've gone out to buy it too. They then come to me and tell me how shocked they are at how good everything still is.

I'm lucky in that my husband and I let each other have their indulgences. He may not get the muppets but I don't get some of his stuff either.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
My dad has a friend who loves cartoons, the old ones that cartoon network used too show that came on his his day mind you (Scooby Doo and things). Well he likes some newer ones in comparison like Rock's modern life and some other ones on Nickelodeon and things at the time. But When ever we would go to Him and his wives house, he would be watching cartoons with Me and my brothers. He would know what's going to happen next. My dad would just laugh but he was pretty understanding about it.

But my mom told me somthing yesterday that I've never heard from her before. I was watching Sesame Street, and she tell me that I can't watch Sesame Street forever. This might be true, but I wish it weren't.:frown: