Elmo's World-free episodes don't go over

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The point of the matter is, SS wants to change back to the glory days... but they smurfed themselves royally, and can't change out of fear of losing that audience.
Well, if they hadn't of caved in the first place, we wouldn't have this problem, honestly.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Yeah. I always thought they should've just shown EW on Fridays. It could be sort of a "treat" for the kiddies.

Wow, that was random, Lol.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Sort like of the special line at the end of Mr. Rogers' "Good Feeling" song.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Personally, I have always felt EW should be a standalone show for younger audiences.
Elmo's World is a standalone show in every other country that broadcasts it, if I recall correctly; it's only the American version that gets "bundled" with Sesame Street. I'm no expert on children's TV, but I suspect that happened because the foreign Sesame productions (when they exist) are still geared towards older viewers than the US version. As long as that's true, Sesame Workshop will think of "spinning off" Elmo's World as financial suicide over here; the smaller the audience gets, the fewer corporations are willing to fund Sesame Street.

I agree with Norden here... it is basically 90% fluff. I do like the E-mail segment and the cartoon channel inserts, and the occassional wisecrack from Elmo... but do we REALLY need to ask a baby how it uses a tissue? Especially since all it does is drool and grab Elmo's nose?
Get out of my head, Drtooth! :smile: If I were a producer for the show, I'd cut that "ask a baby" part out and not care who missed it. Considering that most of the audience is barely three years old--do they really need to see another kid their age or younger sit there, not really caring or teaching anything? They won't be ready for school if they think that just sitting there and looking cute will earn them good grades.

And do we really need to know a birthday cake can't tap dance. If your child's seeing dancing cakes, then you may want to contact a physician...
Tell me about it: as I said a few posts ago, any kid who tries to bounce a birthday cake or feed his toy train a snack has developmental problems worse than anything a parent could blame Sesame Street for!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And ironically, Sesame's own producers were the ones to start claiming characters had behavioral problems.

ISNorden

Reaction score
And ironically, Sesame's own producers were the ones to start claiming characters had behavioral problems.
I'd guess that was partly because of worried parents complaining, and partly because so much research goes into an episode. Sesame Workshop has early-education scholars and child psychologists taking a fine-toothed comb to every detail. That's usually good for the show; but eventually a staff member will analyze the wrong thing to death, or place blame where it doesn't belong. (Why do you think they turned Cookie Monster into an amateur nutritionist? :concern:) Overreaction can ruin anything, even a TV show.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I'd guess that was partly because of worried parents complaining, and partly because so much research goes into an episode. Sesame Workshop has early-education scholars and child psychologists taking a fine-toothed comb to every detail. That's usually good for the show; but eventually a staff member will analyze the wrong thing to death, or place blame where it doesn't belong. (Why do you think they turned Cookie Monster into an amateur nutritionist? :concern:) Overreaction can ruin anything, even a TV show.
Agreed. People over-analyze too much, honestly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Tell me about it: as I said a few posts ago, any kid who tries to bounce a birthday cake or feed his toy train a snack has developmental problems worse than anything a parent could blame Sesame Street for!
I dunno... being the pig I am, as much as I'd love to eat a cake, I sometimes wanna drop it out of a window to see it become a nice, grouchy splatter... :grouchy:

But it seems anything that was intended as a running gag or inside joke they're stuck with, and they can't remove without fears of the kids getting restless. For the trillionth time, I once did some number crunching, and If you cut out a lot of the junk, EW would run 5-10 minutes long, instead of 15.

And did I ever tell this story? One time I was watching Sesame Street, and EW was on... at one point, there was some tape error on someone's end, and the screen froze, and Elmo's laugh was echoing over and over, like a stuck record....

and I didn't realize something was wrong until 5 minutes later.....

So even small cuts should happen.

I still think spinning EW off would work if they put it on directly after SS every time they air it...

I'd guess that was partly because of worried parents complaining, and partly because so much research goes into an episode. Sesame Workshop has early-education scholars and child psychologists taking a fine-toothed comb to every detail. That's usually good for the show; but eventually a staff member will analyze the wrong thing to death, or place blame where it doesn't belong. (Why do you think they turned Cookie Monster into an amateur nutritionist? ) Overreaction can ruin anything, even a TV show.
I've been saying that for years. it's a shame the child psychologists and professionals that once helped shape the show have totally misshapen it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think that mean for it to run as long as it does to stall for time for something...