"Elmo's Christmas Countdown" - December 23rd on ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just saw the other 1970's Christmas SS Special (the one with Anne Murray and Leslie Uggams) and I have to say this. I really really hope that this special does NOT turn out a thing like that. The celebrity camera mugging, and the lack of any characters besides Big Bird and Oscar made it just a sad, little forgotten project. I can see the same thing happening, but so far, it looks like it will even be better than that.

I love Classic SS and all, but Even Elmo saves Christmas and Elmo's World: Happy Holidays was better than that little special.

I'll post another thread about it, but seriously. Feels like I lost an hour (loading time included) of my life.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have to partially disagree, hehe. True, the other SS special could have used more Muppets. But what they did have represented more of the Sesame Street spirit than the Elmo specials. Just my opinion. :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I have to partially disagree, hehe. True, the other SS special could have used more Muppets. But what they did have represented more of the Sesame Street spirit than the Elmo specials. Just my opinion. :smile:
I agree with you very much only on one thing. All the Sesame Street speicals no matter who's in the spot light or who's not i still enjoyed them all. I love that "A Special Sesame Street Christmas." And why? Becuase it's back in the 70's and still had that feel that Sesame had back then. I don't know what it is with people that all they want are all the characters in one whole speical. I don't care who's not in each speical as long as it has two characters. Oscar and Big Bird have been my favoirtes and don't care if it was just Grover or just Barkley. I love everything about Sesame Street and still do. I know it's not like it was back in the day to everyone who liked it during the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and then on. But i'm glad to see Ernie, Bert, Big Bird, Oscar, Grover, Cookie Monster, Herry (even if he's not seen that much), The Count, Snuffy, Anything Muppets, Elmo, Zoe, Baby Bear and all the new ones too. I like Abby and Murray the newer monster character. I hate to rain on everyone parade but Sesame Street is going to keep changing no matter what happens. I don't mind and yes there are times i wished we could go back to the old format with the storyline through out the show but i'm fine with it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't know what it is with people that all they want are all the characters in one whole speical. I don't care who's not in each speical as long as it has two characters. Oscar and Big Bird have been my favoirtes and don't care if it was just Grover or just Barkley.
Right exactly, it's basically a quality over quantity argument. :smile:

Hehe, no you're not raining on my parade. The show is what it is at the moment (though who knows what will happen down the road). But I do intend to show my kids mostly the classic material.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Right exactly, it's basically a quality over quantity argument. :smile:

Hehe, no you're not raining on my parade. The show is what it is at the moment (thought who knows what will happen down the road). But I do intend to show my kids mostly the classic material.
Same here Herald.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
After seeing that HILARIOUS promo clip...this whole discussion over "I'm going to watch it" and "I'm not going to watch it" just seems silly. Who cares what it's called, or who the guest hosts are . . . this is Sesame Street and it looks really funny.

SSLFan

Reaction score
After seeing that HILARIOUS promo clip...this whole discussion over "I'm going to watch it" and "I'm not going to watch it" just seems silly. Who cares what it's called, or who the guest hosts are . . . this is Sesame Street and it looks really funny.
I do. I am so SICK of EVERYTHING being in Elmo's name!:mad:

But, I still do intend to watch it(just because they mention Big Bird's name).:stick_out_tongue:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Advertisements have started to air on ABC in reguards to the special. So far it looks pretty cute.

But they really waited till the last minute for this one. Like the day before the day before Christmas. Surprised they didn't air it back in November and then had an encore by now... Like Shrek or Charlie Brown.

Yeah. They probably should have done that. In fact, I'll probably be at church that night so I'll want to get my VCR set up.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Some of it was quite good. But it was pretty much an excersize in embarassing 1970's style celebrity camera mugging specials. Leslie was in each and every scene, and it was clear that it was more like a "Special Lesslie Uggams Christmas Special featuring Ethel Merman, Michael Jackson for a whole 2 minutes, Anne Murray... and oh yeah, Sesame Street guys." I mean, it was enjoyable to some extent, but growing up with the sad irony of Ernie and Bert giving their favorite things away to give each other a christmas present, and oscar bullying Big Bird about Santa's exisrance, and then being the most worried when he disappears.

Plus to me, with that special it seemed pretty off. Oscar didn't seem right, and you'd think that the residents of SS would know that Oscar loves to be grouchy during the holidays just because he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.