"Elmo's Christmas Countdown" - December 23rd on ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Probably so people will see it. So much gets missed on PBS by most of the country, but ABC gets eyeballs watching. Not saying that's a good thing. Plus it can ultimately direct more traffic to PBS' regular Sesame program. That and ABC will probably provide more of a budget for the production. :smile:
What do you mean that so much gets missed on PBS?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Now I'm looking at Muppet Wiki and seeing it's called ELMO'S Christmas Countdown, and seeing the previews on ABC, and all I saw was Elmo. I didn't even see the street, I just saw what look like a drawing on a snow-covered 123 in the background with Elmo smack dab in front of the camera cheering.

But, I being the true Sesame Street/Muppet fan that I am, I will watch this, and I will make an effort to tape it... but if I don't like it, then I won't probably watch it a whole lot after that.
That's also why I'm hesitating (well that and the Sopranos). From my point of view, I can be a true Muppet fan by avoiding what I think departs from the spirit. (That is just my opinion and everyone else is free to think as they will of course :smile: ).

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Maybe it's because of the Sopranos appearance (which I have no intention of watching, even if I watch the rest of the show. :smile: )
Why won't you be watching Steve Schirippa and Tony Sirico's appearance?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I personally find the Sopranos offensive. Not everyone does and I respect that. But I do and so do many others. Sesame Street is a show that always rejects negative stereotyping. We make it a rule in this country to not tolerate negative cultural stereotypes, and we shouldn't have double standards.

It's like when Mayor Bloomberg invited the Soprano actors to the Columbus Day Parade and people complained. It just wasn't appropriate imagery to include symbols of criminal behavior in what is meant to be an Italian pride parade. And yes, the mafia is real, but again, negative stereotyping does not represent reality.

I don't want to get into it too much, hehe, that is just how I feel. :smile:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I personally find the Sopranos offensive.
While I understand your feelings towards the television show The Sopranos and not wanting to support the stereotyping and glamorizing of certain things that the show did; what does that have to do with Schirippa and Sirico? They are both talented actors and not anything like the characters they played on that show.

It would be like refusing to watch Sesame Street's 25th Birthday special "Stars and Street Forever" because Julia Roberts appeared in it and she played a hooker in "Pretty Woman". Most of Sesame Street's guest stars (and even cast members) have appeared in controversial or "mature" roles and productions.

If Schirippa and Sirico were appearing as their Sopranos characters it would be a different story - but they aren't. You know that Alison Bartlett (Sesame Street's Gina) had a brief stint on the Sopranos? Do you boycott her Sesame Street scenes? And other Sopranos stars James Gandolfini and Edie Falco appeared on Sesame Street years ago. But if you choose to not enjoy the acting of Schirippa and Sirico in Elmo's Christmas Countdown based on their past roles that's your choice - however I would encourage you to watch (and enjoy) the rest of the show.

Teenager's

Reaction score
Now I'm looking at Muppet Wiki and seeing it's called ELMO'S Christmas Countdown, and seeing the previews on ABC, and all I saw was Elmo. I didn't even see the street, I just saw what look like a drawing on a snow-covered 123 in the background with Elmo smack dab in front of the camera cheering.
It's also kind of interesting that Kevin Clash has top billing, and maybe he has for awhile and I'm out of it. But I saw this on that Sesame Christmas Carole DVD as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why not?

PBS carries the show and usually when a show is seen on a certain network and there's a special epsidoe reguarding that series, usually that same netork carries that special.
Usually. This is a special event, not a regular SS special. They're trying to get network exposure outside of PBS. This isn't the first time. Elmopalooza, the 25th anniversary special, the 20th anniversary special and Cinderelmo have all been on different stations besides PBS.

And as for people missing it, it's true that a lot of PBS affiliates have their own programming, and often run different things than what is supposedly nationally released. Our affiliate got Monty Python's Personal Best months after the rest of the country did.

Plus, it's pledge month, and PBS only has so many specials they keep rerunning. I doubt it would even find its way onto the schedual.

I'm not so sure I want to watch this...

I mean, I originally read that it was going to be mostly about Elmo AND Abby Cadabby, plus a heavy dose of the others like Big Bird, Ernie and Bert, Cookie Monster, Grover, Count, etc.

The previews are often discieving. In fact, I saw the previews and saw more celebrities than even Elmo in it. I think the special will focus a lot on Elmo. But at this point, what did anyone expect? I still want to watch it. It's been years since SS had a big fat special like this. As I said, they missed the oppertunity with the 35th anniversary.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What does that have to do with Schirippa and Sirico? They are both talented actors and not anything like the characters they played on that show.
Well that is a good point and I don't dislike those men in particular; they are just actors and probably decent people in real life. But they are getting these appearances because people will recognize them from the show. Not to put them down, that's just a fact. The press release for the special mentions the Sopranos after their names; that's part of their draw.

Julia Roberts makes appearances because she's a big celebrity on her own, not because she's representing a movie about Hookers.

And I wonder if they're going to appear like normal people or play up the personna a bit. If I had some kinda prior knowledge of it, I'd reconsider.

But thats not the only reason I have concerning the special so like I said, I'm still pondering. But thanks, you made good points. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.