1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

"Elmo's Christmas Countdown" - December 23rd on ABC

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by GelflingWaldo, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

What do you mean that so much gets missed on PBS?
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That's also why I'm hesitating (well that and the Sopranos). From my point of view, I can be a true Muppet fan by avoiding what I think departs from the spirit. (That is just my opinion and everyone else is free to think as they will of course :) ).
  3. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Why won't you be watching Steve Schirippa and Tony Sirico's appearance?
  4. heralde

I personally find the Sopranos offensive. Not everyone does and I respect that. But I do and so do many others. Sesame Street is a show that always rejects negative stereotyping. We make it a rule in this country to not tolerate negative cultural stereotypes, and we shouldn't have double standards.

It's like when Mayor Bloomberg invited the Soprano actors to the Columbus Day Parade and people complained. It just wasn't appropriate imagery to include symbols of criminal behavior in what is meant to be an Italian pride parade. And yes, the mafia is real, but again, negative stereotyping does not represent reality.

I don't want to get into it too much, hehe, that is just how I feel. :)
  5. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

While I understand your feelings towards the television show The Sopranos and not wanting to support the stereotyping and glamorizing of certain things that the show did; what does that have to do with Schirippa and Sirico? They are both talented actors and not anything like the characters they played on that show.

It would be like refusing to watch Sesame Street's 25th Birthday special "Stars and Street Forever" because Julia Roberts appeared in it and she played a hooker in "Pretty Woman". Most of Sesame Street's guest stars (and even cast members) have appeared in controversial or "mature" roles and productions.

If Schirippa and Sirico were appearing as their Sopranos characters it would be a different story - but they aren't. You know that Alison Bartlett (Sesame Street's Gina) had a brief stint on the Sopranos? Do you boycott her Sesame Street scenes? And other Sopranos stars James Gandolfini and Edie Falco appeared on Sesame Street years ago. But if you choose to not enjoy the acting of Schirippa and Sirico in Elmo's Christmas Countdown based on their past roles that's your choice - however I would encourage you to watch (and enjoy) the rest of the show.
  6. Teenager's

Teenager's Member

It's also kind of interesting that Kevin Clash has top billing, and maybe he has for awhile and I'm out of it. But I saw this on that Sesame Christmas Carole DVD as well.
  7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Usually. This is a special event, not a regular SS special. They're trying to get network exposure outside of PBS. This isn't the first time. Elmopalooza, the 25th anniversary special, the 20th anniversary special and Cinderelmo have all been on different stations besides PBS.

And as for people missing it, it's true that a lot of PBS affiliates have their own programming, and often run different things than what is supposedly nationally released. Our affiliate got Monty Python's Personal Best months after the rest of the country did.

Plus, it's pledge month, and PBS only has so many specials they keep rerunning. I doubt it would even find its way onto the schedual.

The previews are often discieving. In fact, I saw the previews and saw more celebrities than even Elmo in it. I think the special will focus a lot on Elmo. But at this point, what did anyone expect? I still want to watch it. It's been years since SS had a big fat special like this. As I said, they missed the oppertunity with the 35th anniversary.
  8. heralde

Well that is a good point and I don't dislike those men in particular; they are just actors and probably decent people in real life. But they are getting these appearances because people will recognize them from the show. Not to put them down, that's just a fact. The press release for the special mentions the Sopranos after their names; that's part of their draw.

Julia Roberts makes appearances because she's a big celebrity on her own, not because she's representing a movie about Hookers.

And I wonder if they're going to appear like normal people or play up the personna a bit. If I had some kinda prior knowledge of it, I'd reconsider.

But thats not the only reason I have concerning the special so like I said, I'm still pondering. But thanks, you made good points. :)
  9. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Only one week to go! :excited:

Check out a sneak-peak from the special here! :zany:
  10. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Hehehe. I can't wait for this special to air!:excited:
  11. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Okay, now THAT was funny... that was funny, it really was!

Looks more like they should be playing the other role than they're actually playing...
  12. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

HAHAHA! Oh my GOSH! That clip was AWESOME! Oh wow! I was never unsure about not watching this, always planned on it, but now I'm SUPER thrilled about it! WOOT! Can't wait!
  13. Drtooth

that is just cute. I mean, I wanted to see this before anyway, but now I really want to. That looks just great.

Once again, praying for an uncut DVD release (uncut as in they have the celebrity rights and residuals to songs all worked out, etc.) because my ABC comes in way too fuzzy to tape. heck, I can't even plug the VCR in or ABC doesn;t come in at all.
  14. JEANYLASER

JEANYLASER Member

thanks for the info!
  15. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

wow that was preety funny i think it will be great.
  16. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Oh my gosh! That was funny. Can't wait to see it now. Snowthy ran the thing to me thought Myspace and i just enjoyed it. Oh i just can't wait to see more and how everything comes out. I also think it's funny to see what's his face with Bert's unibrow. Now that's comedy.
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I will be watching. I can understand why the Sopranos actors could be seen as offensive in many respects, but I think they're funny here and not promoting gangster behavior. And the Sopranos program has ended. I laughed at this clip - a lot! :o

Some regular PBS watchers don't realize how little of the country watches the channel. It's unfortunate. I even forget about it sometimes, but I mainly watch movies and series DVD sets. But when I flip around to PBS there's usually something worth watching in the line up. That's what makes an ABC special a good idea. It will help steer traffic to PBS and its other programming as well. That and fewer people would know of the special if it weren't on one of the main four networks. :sympathy:

I still am offended that Elmo keeps stamping his name over the Sesame brand. It's embarrassing. Elmo needs to tone it down. Sesame Workshop should really take it easy on all the Elmo obnoxiousness before it reaches Barney territory. I happen to think Kevin Clash is very talented, but come on - the furry red guy's narcissistic reign must end sometime. :grouchy:
  18. Drtooth

But then again, Abby was the one with a Balloon, even Elmo didn't have that. But I agree. It really could be called Sesame Street Christmas Countdown... something like that. But to me, it seems that one was a marketting move, similar to them placing the special on a major network. More people will sadly tune in to Elmo's Christmas than Sesame's Christmas. Why? A lot of really young kids don't call it Sesame Street. They call it "I wanna see Elmo." or something. A shame and all, but I digress.

Though I do think it will be heavy handed towards celebs, and they'll take up more time than Elmo... but that's just me.
  19. Wiseman

Wiseman Member

I will be watching this

I will be watching this when it comes to ABC.
  20. heralde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.