Changes that you actually liked

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I have to agree with a lot of things that were mentioned here. I mean I grew up with a bald Gordon a green Oscar and the current designs of Big Bird, Bert and Ernie. It's hard to imagine whether or not I'd be that interested in the show if they weren't around when I watched in the 80s. I also prefer the current voices of Snuffy and Telly, Jerry and Brian never seemed to give those characters much personality. Marty really does a terrific job with both characters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also prefer the current voices of Snuffy and Telly, Jerry and Brian never seemed to give those characters much personality. Marty really does a terrific job with both characters.
Yeah. I mean, I love Jerry, but Snuff clearly wasn't the character for him. He made him way too depressing, and I thought that snuffy wasn't as developed as Marty's. As I said, he took the character from being an Eeyore type to more of a pal for Big Bird... you know, the kind of wacky friends that pal around. That sort of thing. And Telly... heck, that's why he's one of my favorites.

wiley207

Reaction score
I liked it when they changed the Baby Bear puppet in 1998. The older one looked ugly!

And I also like the new nighttime closing music introduced this past season.

But I must note, when Marty Robinson first started performing Telly, it sounded similar to Brian Muehl's Telly voice, but then gradually evolved to the current voice of today.

I also liked "Trash Gordon," I have to admit, and I liked it even more when they made it a random thing this season.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Speaking of Gordon, I'm glad for another change to the character. It seems like in the first few seasons, he had a bit of a chauvinistic streak in him. The original actor (with all due respect) was even annoyed with the idea of giving Susan a job. Now, I understand they were trying to make the character of Gordon a decent strong role model for African American males, and that is very important. But the attitude he had was very '50s (and even '60s). I'm glad the show eventually moved on to the '70s and realized women needed to be represented too. :smile:

SSLFan

Reaction score
I liked it when they changed the Baby Bear puppet in 1998. The older one looked ugly!
Really? I liked the older one better. He seemed much cuter and not all annoying like he is today.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Things I Like:

I like Zoe. She's a fun addition to the show and has a softer touch engaging the viewer than her more heavy-handed red friend. I haven't seen much Abby, but I feel she is meant to be marketed toward kids who like Dora the Explorer. Not sure how I feel about that, but the puppet translates beautifully into products (and balloons).

I like Telly. Yeah, he kinda started out creepy, but to me he's like a mixture of Boober Fraggle, Gonzo the Great, a bit of Snuffy's sympathetic demeanor and also an interesting monster in his own right.

I like that while the street appears tucked-away, it doesn't have the claustrophobic feel it began to acquire. I really feel the characters aren't as limited as to where they can go.

Things I don't like:​

Elmo. You know what they should do? Make Elmo's World an actual World experience. Send him everywhere to do kind of "Traveling Matt" sort of reports on the space outside of Sesame Street. This creates an actual reason for the segments other than empty viewing calories for the kids viewing him. It also keeps him off the street segments.

Because it's not just Elmo's world, it's also his street, his products and his Countdown to Christmas. Let's give him a one way ticket around the world so kids can actually learn something. Hey, maybe he can go to India and work for The Gap! Only kidding! I really see a good, healthy opportunity.

Another thing...I agree with the healthy eating habits thing, but with Cookie Monster? Come on! They should have found a better way to deal with that. What's next? The term "monster" is too scary for kids resulting in Cookie Monster being dubbed the Veggie Creature! You know, what they should have done is make a Veggie Creature cousin of Cookie's to show contrast.

Also, I miss Bert. :frown:

(By the way, the Muppet Central Cards menu is a fairly good indicator how I feel about the show and characters.)