Changes that you actually liked

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Hehe...what if Cookie turned orange from eating alot of carrots?(although it's not possible).
Two things:

1) It actually is possible to turn a bit orange from eating so many carrots. It happened to a friend of mine when she was a baby because it's one of the few things she would eat.

2) If Cookie Monster turned orange it would further that awful rumour about him becoming the Veggie Monster, which everyone I run into seems to think is true (and I explain for about half an hour everything wrong with what they just said to me! :eek: )

And it would just bee too much for me to handle. :stick_out_tongue: :big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
On the other hand, if that did happen, it might convince Cookie that what's needed here is balance, and not a total ban on junk food. :wink:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
On the other hand, if that did happen, it might convince Cookie that what's needed here is balance, and not a total ban on junk food. :wink:
That's an interesting concept, but I totally disagree! lol. Seems we do that a lot, eh? Just thinking out loud here but...

I really hate it when they try to "teach" muppets things. Muppets don't learn. They really don't evolve or gain worldly knowledge. And I'm not talking about a character changing over time, like Gonzo. In a plot, they really can't learn lessons, it's just not in the nature. The character has to be simplified to a point that the children immediately understand what the character is supposed to be like. They are very two-dimensional in nature.

Why else would Jim Hawkins be a human in Muppet Treasure Island instead of a muppet? Because the story is about Jim growing up and learning, and it would seem really inauthentic with a muppet.

So please stop trying to teach Cookie Monster things! I really think that children get it. I don't think he needs to turn orange in order for them to understand! :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Lol, yeah sometimes we disagree, but that's OK. It's more interesting than always saying "Yes I agree!" :wink:

And I do get what you mean about characters learning things. If characters like the Muppets (or many other fictional characters) eventually, completely, totally learned their lesson, the show would have to end. There would be no more. You can't keep a show going with anti climatic falling action.

If they do learn anything drastic, it would have to be for the duration of that episode and then the character would have to be able to bounce back to normal the following day. Even if they have taken on new information, they'd still need to be the same basic character. And actually real people are like that too. Even when something dramatic happens to us, we are able to still act normally the next day (while still keeping the lesson in our thoughts).

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Yeah, it's just not in their nature to learn. They're like cartoon characters. They don't grow up, they don't get haircuts, they just sort of exist in one mode.

Even if they have taken on new information, they'd still need to be the same basic character. And actually real people are like that too. Even when something dramatic happens to us, we are able to still act normally the next day (while still keeping the lesson in our thoughts).
Bingo! Fraggle Rock is a good example. Quite often they have little lessons to learn, but they are not dramatic, character-changing lessons. They're like morals. But you can't change the essence of the being, it just doesn't work that way.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I still like the idea of giving Cookie a Veggie friend to play off of. That solves the problem right there and incorporates the information in a traditional Sesame fashion. And they can share their favorite snacks with each other. Cookie Monster is an extreme. He was never meant to teach moderation on his own.

What do you guys think about (seriously) sending Elmo on a trip around the world to be edited into the Sesame Elmo's World segments? Upon reflection, I think the Workshop would just make it an all new special to increase Elmo exposure.

:frown: I miss Bert because he's hardly around. I mean, yeah, he's still there but barely these days. Most of the characters are still around, there's just a fuzzy factor that keeps pushing them out of frame. :grouchy:

A factor that has very little to say, but says it in third person and very loud and high-pitched. I like the little guy, but isn't the Elmo-centered Sesame over yet? I like seeing him all quiet on the stairs in the background of Muppet Family Christmas! He's much cuter that way. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What do you guys think about (seriously) sending Elmo on a trip around the world to be edited into the Sesame Elmo's World segments? Upon reflection, I think the Workshop would just make it an all new special to increase Elmo exposure.
It's certainly an intriguing idea. It would certainly give his talks more substance. For me, whatever it is, it would really depend on the writing. If they are playing down to kids or not.

I miss Bert because he's hardly around. I mean, yeah, he's still there but barely these days. Most of the characters are still around, there's just a fuzzy factor that keeps pushing them out of frame. :grouchy:
Yeah it's a problem that all of the Muppet projects have had for awhile. Their core group that made them successful was broken, and it's extremely hard to bounce back from that. Plus, I think there's a conspiracy in society to just erase anything old, despite quality and continued demand.

A factor that has very little to say, but says it in third person and very loud and high-pitched. I like the little guy, but isn't the Elmo-centered Sesame over yet? I like seeing him all quiet on the stairs in the background of Muppet Family Christmas! He's much cuter that way. :wink:
I saw an episode that featured Elmo from the early '90s recently. He was very funny, cute even! Completely different from the Elmo's World segments now.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I still like the idea of giving Cookie a Veggie friend to play off of. That solves the problem right there and incorporates the information in a traditional Sesame fashion. And they can share their favorite snacks with each other. Cookie Monster is an extreme. He was never meant to teach moderation on his own.
That is a really good idea! You're right, he is an extreme. He is one dimensional. His character shouldn't be trying to teach things like that all by his lonesome. If he had a buddy, the difference would be very plainly visible.