Proposal: Fraggle Rock ; The Musical

doc hopper

Reaction score
oh and I think puppets would actually limit the show. With humans, you could have a real hook with a "take" on Fraggle Rock, similar to the Lion King, and people would be curious on how it'd be done.

Also, with puppets, you're limited as to where and how they can appear as well as what they can and can't do. With humans dressed as fraggles, you're unlimited. They can run from gorgs, they can swing from vines, they could even climb and dive off of doozer construction areas - whatever you want!

doc hopper

Reaction score
but the doozers would definitely need to be puppets of some kind - audiences would expect it somehow and fans would appreciate the nod to puppetry. plus it would be a good place to put some fun and creative tricks in your show.

Mokey's sweet

Reaction score
I'd cast it with smaller actors to play fraggles and larger actors to play gorgs. And then you can costume the gorgs with round bellies, large head pieces and big padded feet to get that gorg appearance and then fade their colors to seperate them from the fraggles (who'd be in bright colors).

And you could do a lot more with set/stage scale tricks - which would make it really interesting for the audience.

you just couldn't have the gorgs actually catching the fraggles with their hands (like they did with miniature fraggles in the show). But i think it's forgiveable - and you can do a lot more.
i'm planning to use a revolving stage, that rotates around. it's spilit up into 4 parts
1-Fraggle Rock
2-Gorg Garden
3-Trash heap
& 4 Workshop or Lighthouse, depends on where it's being performed

Mokey's sweet

Reaction score
oh and I think puppets would actually limit the show. With humans, you could have a real hook with a "take" on Fraggle Rock, similar to the Lion King, and people would be curious on how it'd be done.

Also, with puppets, you're limited as to where and how they can appear as well as what they can and can't do. With humans dressed as fraggles, you're unlimited. They can run from gorgs, they can swing from vines, they could even climb and dive off of doozer construction areas - whatever you want!
I've designed some of the costumes already, the trasheap is going to be amazing. it's a massive victorian dress made of rubbish! her two little compaions are in dirty and ripped tailer suits with bower hats and toppers, all bent and with holes.

Mokey's sweet

Reaction score
but the doozers would definitely need to be puppets of some kind - audiences would expect it somehow and fans would appreciate the nod to puppetry. plus it would be a good place to put some fun and creative tricks in your show.
the Doozers will be puppets expect for a few scenes where you go down to doozer size, than they are actors. doozer songs inculde "Working 1234" , "Yes we do" , "The way i've got to go"
i have'nt got round to writing a doozer scene yet, i've just got to the part with Convincing John

doc hopper

Reaction score
Good to know we're on the same page! I can see it now...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I just hope it sticks true to the diconomy of the show.

Mokey's sweet

Reaction score
I've sent an E-mail to the Jim Henson Company asking for the lisence, so, fingers crossed! :smile:

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
not to burst the bubble, but the last thing i want to see is some sort of Taymor-esque vision of the Fraggles with people running around on stage in "ARTSY" fraggle costumes like the lion king or something

if it was done sort of like Avenue q it might work, but thats just me, im not a big musical theatre fan,