Your Thoughts: Elmo’s Christmas Countdown

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The special was good. But I do wonder why it keeps being called "the Elmo show" or similar things (at least that's what I'm seeing). Even back in the day when we had "Big Bird in China", it wasn't just called "the Big Bird show". It was also called "a Sesame Street show." At least in my experience.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The special was good. But I do wonder why it keeps being called "the Elmo show" or similar things (at least that's what I'm seeing). Even back in the day when we had "Big Bird in China", it wasn't just called "the Big Bird show". It was also called "a Sesame Street show." At least in my experience.
Because many people feel that Elmo has "taken over" the whole show, hence why people refer to it as "The Elmo Show".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah again, does not leave me with the warm fuzzy feelings, lol.

Beauregard

Reaction score
That...is a good point. Back in the day when Big Bird was everywhere and at the forefront of everything that SS did, as much as I loved Big Bird, I wanted to see someone else joining the title of specials, hosting, and being spokesbird. I guess ultimatly, SS is about variety. Obviously some characters, such as Cookie, don't have what it takes to propel the show in a story format, but others like Big Bird, Elmo, Grover, Abby now, Ernie and Bert, and possibly Zoe should have their imput when it comes to specials.

*drifts off imagining a Super Grover movie*

PinballStewie

Reaction score
A lot better than I expected...

Had it not come on immediately after "Ebert and Roeper" (or whatever it's called now), I wouldn't have even known about this (my mom likes that show). And yes, "Elmo's Christmas Countdown" was a LOT better than I expected. Stiller the Elf (and the snowball), the Count's "I Saw 3 Ships" (done all the way up to "...10 Ships"), and ESPECIALLY "The Bert and Ernie Christmas Special" all harked back to old school SS humor for me :wink: And I know I'll get at least a little bashed for saying this, but I actually liked Kevin James' appearance as Santa Claus, because to my knowledge, I don't remember SS attempting to do any rock and roll-ish songs since Little Jerry and the Monotones "comeback" appearance in 2001 (and those kewl parodies of post-grunge-y bands like Pearl Jam, Spin Doctors, and Counting Crows!); and James' "I Believe" song sounded like a nice, fresh return to that!

beaker

Reaction score
Everyone is complaining about the set. When I saw the previews I wondered why the set looked the way it did. After the explaination that it was a story in a book it made sense to me. To the people who are complaining about the set. Maybe you should have payed attention and just enjoyed the show, rather than worrying about what you are going to complain about and nitpick
How can one enjoy it if its ghastly to the eyes? Im very easy to please Muppet wise. I LOVE Bear in the Big Blue House, Mopatop, Sesame Street, you name it.
But I also believe in quality, and to me I felt there was a strong poverty of imagination, care and uniqueness.

Again, you look at the 1980's Sesame specials...my goodness those were light years ahead of this stuff. The fact Telly was nowhere to be found sealed the deal.

beaker

Reaction score
I think I remmber hearing when Henson sold the "Muppets" and "Bear to Disney that they couldnt cut a deal unless Sesame was still alowed to dub there puppets "Muppets" aswell.
Good. There was a time a couple years prior where JHC wasnt allowed to mention the Muppets on their site really, and definately not in theatre film festival retrospectives. It was always referencing Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, and "Jim's Legacy"

This was ALL because of 2004. FINALLY, JHC can have Kevin Clash's Elmo, with Zoe appear with Gonzo and it's all good. The idiot lawyers trying to draw up what constitutes the legality (TM) of a Muppet do not care about the legacy of Jim Henson or the fans.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... The snowball's name was Stan. BTW: Where's your signature from?

bunny

Reaction score
Stan is the Man!

Oh my gosh.....love the name Stan! In fact, really love all the fun and quirky names that Sesame Street comes up with. My favorite: Little Murray Sparkles!

My signature is a lyric from the song "I don't know how to love him", in the movie Jesus Christ Superstar.

I haven't had many men! I promise!

gail