The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

mbmfrog

Reaction score
What problem are you talking about.
I do apologize if I was a bit misunderstood, but I was hoping that Jim Lewis was one of the few people to co-work with the creative team on the new Muppet show comic book series or any of the other Muppet comics that BOOM studios puts out each month.

Or at least if he has seen the new Muppet comics what is his opinion on them ?

Once again I do apologize if I was a bit confusing for you to understand.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hi! Jim Lewis has been involved in The Muppet Show comics somewhat sort of. He might be able to answer your question.

Dwayne, I think he was just asking if Jim knew about Skeeter's appearance in the Muppet Show Comic Book issue # 4.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I'm sorry... but I don't understand what you're trying to ask there, mbmfrog. It sounds like you're saying that The Muppets Studio has no idea what's going on with their characters in an official comic, and I don't think that's what you meant to say. I think what you're trying to ask is this (please correct me if I'm wrong),

Jim, what is your opinion on having Skeeter return to the Muppet cast in the new issue of The Muppet Show Comic Book? Did you have anything to do with the decision to include her?

Is that what you were trying to ask, mbmfrog? I'm just trying to understand your question so that Jim will be able to understand and answer it. :smile:

EDIT: Yeah... what Super Scooter said too! :stick_out_tongue:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I'm sorry... but I don't understand what you're trying to ask there, mbmfrog. It sounds like you're saying that The Muppets Studio has no idea what's going on with their characters in an official comic, and I don't think that's what you meant to say. I think what you're trying to ask is this (please correct me if I'm wrong),

Jim, what is your opinion on having Skeeter return to the Muppet cast in the new issue of The Muppet Show Comic Book? Did you have anything to do with the decision to include her?

Is that what you were trying to ask, mbmfrog? I'm just trying to understand your question so that Jim will be able to understand and answer it. :smile:

EDIT: Yeah... what Super Scooter said too! :stick_out_tongue:

That's exacty what I'm trying to ask Prawncracker: Was Jim involved with Skeeter coming into the comics and what is Jim's opinion on the whole Muppet Comics thing overall so far ?

Sorry for the confusion.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
OHHH! I just found out about the retun of Skeeter a few days ago, and was kind of shocked that on one had asked Jim about this. This is really a great question, and now that I know what your asking about, if you don't mind I'll help you out and re word it and send it Jim's way today.

Great answer and I can't wait to hear the answer on that one myself.

Sending the questions right now!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Here we go! great answers as always.

Questions for Jim Lewis

!. From dwayne1115: We have talked about so many different Muppet "pairs" Kermit/Fozzie Kermit /Piggy and on and on but we have not really talked about the relationship of Kermit and Sam the Eagle. On the Muppet show and even some in Muppet Treasure Island they have a very funny relationship. However in the past few productions we have seen less of Sam. Is it hard to find where he would fit in to things, or is he becomeing a one line Muppet?

Part of the joy of the Muppets is that there are so many pairs, so many real relationships among characters. Obviously in cases where the same performer performs two characters (e.g. Fozzie/Piggy and Kermit/Rizzo), it’s tougher to realize these relationships. But we still do it – if only the make the performers suffer. I love Sam Eagle, but as I’ve said in the past (and as his creator, Frank Oz, has said even further {or is that farther?} in the past): Sam is a one-note character. He is focused on decency and patriotism. He works best when he keeps his focus. Playing Sam against Kermit, who tends to be more appropriate and decent, or at least less incomprehensible, than the other characters, is not as instantly satisfying as playing Sam against someone like Pepe or Rizzo or Gonzo, whose behaviors are guaranteed to drive Sam crazy. In other words, Sam and Kermit moments take more work to set up and develop. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do more of them – after all the “MTI” Sam/Kermit interaction is, indeed, priceless. It just means we—or more specifically me—is lazy. I will drink more Red Bull. Promise.

2. From Super Scooter: Jim, I too dig Mr. Lasseter's shirts!

I know you've commented on some of your influences, but I was wondering if you ever try to slip in any direct references to those influences in your writing. I know there have been subtle referecnes written into Muppet productions in the past (Hungerdunger, Hungerdunger, Hungerdunger, and McCormack), and I was wondering if you still try to do that on occasion?

There’s a thin line between homage and plagiarism. I walk it on occasion. And I do these references when they (a) work (b) don’t get in the way of what’s going on and (c) won’t get me sued. I, like Fozzie, am an aficionado of the classics, from the Brothers Marx to the Brothers Ritz to the great Olson and Johnson. If their work can be inspiration for our antics, great – but we must create our own original antics as well, if only so someone can steal from us. (By the way, if I were you, I’d take out a Hungadunga and put in a windshield wiper.)

3. From Convincing John: I have another one I thought of this afternoon.

I'm a big fan of Jim Henson's early work (the Wilkins coffee commercials, Sam and Friends, etc.) As much as I love the Muppet stuff from the 1970's to the "Stand by Me" video, I think 
Does you have any favorite moments from Jim Henson's early career? (And hopefully he drinks Wilkins Coffee to avoid getting blown up?

My all-time favorite from that early era is a mock behind-the-scenes making-of-the-commercials “documentary” that Jim, Frank, Jerry & Jerry made for a presentation to Wilson’s Meats. (Youtube it, it’s up there). Jim’s voiceover is so dry and bland, so perfect against the on-screen maelstrom. To me, it captures the early sense of this-is-funny-to-us-let’s-do-it spirit that defines the Muppets.

4. From minor muppetz and dwayne1115: So, I wonder, was there any reason why you produced but didn't write the Studio DC specials? Also,was it a challenge to be a producer, with new writers for the Muppets? Did they really understand who the Muppets where? Or did you and others at Muppet Studios have to give the writers a Muppets 101 class?

We worked closely with the writers; they were very very interested and eager to get it right. And I think they did a fine job. We didn’t do a “class”, but then again I have no class, so what would be the point? As for the particulars of why we produced rather than wrote, it was mostly a matter of availability.

5. From new asker mbmfrog: Did you help bring back Skeeter back to the Muppet Comic books, and does this mean that she will be making a come back with ethier the Muppet show Muppets, or with the Muppet Babies?

I love the fact that Skeeter is back, at least in these books, but I have no idea whether she’s going to ever come back in some other form. Never say never, but never say absolutely. (Gee, with an equivocal answer like that, I could run for office, couldn’t I? Instead, I’ll run for coffee. Until next time!)

zns

Reaction score
Hello Mr. Lewis,

I have two questions I wasn't sure you would be able to answer:

1. Disney announced not long ago that the fourth season of the Muppet Show was scheduled to be released this year. Unfortunately, they have not even set a specific date yet. Do you know exactly when it will be specifiaclly or is Disney still trying to work out issues in terms of copyright and such?

2. Craig Shemin had announced at a BAM event two years ago that Henson was planning to release the early works of the Muppets from the early years (50's, 60's, 70's I assume). Is that still in the works or not, or is it just the issue of having to negatiate between Henson and Disney?

Thank you and God bless. :smile::smile::smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hello Mr. Lewis,

I have two questions I wasn't sure you would be able to answer:

1. Disney announced not long ago that the fourth season of the Muppet Show was scheduled to be released this year. Unfortunately, they have not even set a specific date yet. Do you know exactly when it will be specifiaclly or is Disney still trying to work out issues in terms of copyright and such?

2. Craig Shemin had announced at a BAM event two years ago that Henson was planning to release the early works of the Muppets from the early years (50's, 60's, 70's I assume). Is that still in the works or not, or is it just the issue of having to negatiate between Henson and Disney?

Thank you and God bless. :smile::smile::smile:
I don't know if Jim Lewis would know such things about DVD releases (I could be wrong), but regarding Henson's early work I imagine there'd be more required negotiations. Many of Henson's earliest productions are owned by outside companies like Sam and Friends (Universal), the various commercials (most likely owned by the companies that produced the advertised products), and the varous television appearances (owned by whoever owns the distribution rights to those shows).

zns

Reaction score
I don't know if Jim Lewis would know such things about DVD releases (I could be wrong), but regarding Henson's early work I imagine there'd be more required negotiations. Many of Henson's earliest productions are owned by outside companies like Sam and Friends (Universal), the various commercials (most likely owned by the companies that produced the advertised products), and the varous television appearances (owned by whoever owns the distribution rights to those shows).
It was just a simple question. I hope it didn't sound like too much though. :embarrassed: