What Miss Piggy should MR design?

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Bear Man where is your sense of humor? I used the phrase "Can It" because it is something Miss Piggy would say... "Can it flipper face!" I was trying to be subtle and funny as Henson would.

It may be somewhat of a generalization but, I stand by my "opinion" that she would appeal to those groups and more. You are acting as if she has absolutely nil salability and it's not true.

Telly

Reaction score
If I just get Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, and Piggy in the line. That'd make me happy. Rowlf, Scooter, Rizzo, and Pepe would be a granted wish!

Bear Man

Reaction score
I guess subtle humour doesn't translate that well in text - sorry for missing it.

I'm not saying that no one would buy Piggy, just that since her prime years (not that I'm saying Piggy's past her prime, I don't want to incur any porcine wrath) she's proven to be a difficult product in the marketplace. I think it's great that a lot of people here want to buy her, but based on what we know of the broader market, it is incorrect for people to assert she would be a fantastic success.

And as for generalisations about particular groups, well that's created a whole host of problems in this world that is well beyond the scope of this little discussion thread. Suffice to say that my sense of humour may well become thinner around some things because I've had a lifetime of people making assumptions and stereotyping. And if Henson had done that then I don't think we'd have half of the funny and unexpected characters to laugh with that we now do.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me? Henson drew so many generalizations to hysterical results. That is a big part of comedy and drawing characters for entertainment. Think of the lobster banditos or the swedish chef or Sam the eagle... Those are all characters based on stereotypes but, effectively humorous ones. You should go back and review the material...

Next.

I guess subtle humour doesn't translate that well in text - sorry for missing it.

I'm not saying that no one would buy Piggy, just that since her prime years (not that I'm saying Piggy's past her prime, I don't want to incur any porcine wrath) she's proven to be a difficult product in the marketplace. I think it's great that a lot of people here want to buy her, but based on what we know of the broader market, it is incorrect for people to assert she would be a fantastic success.

And as for generalisations about particular groups, well that's created a whole host of problems in this world that is well beyond the scope of this little discussion thread. Suffice to say that my sense of humour may well become thinner around some things because I've had a lifetime of people making assumptions and stereotyping. And if Henson had done that then I don't think we'd have half of the funny and unexpected characters to laugh with that we now do.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Just give me the darn pig and I will be happy with that!

Telly....how's your pupils been lately? :wink:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I have to agree with Uppity there. Stereotypes have been used consistantly in the past from Henson, Disney and other world famous companies. It is only over the last few years where people have looked at this stuff and thought there might be a problem with it. Me, for instance, have long hair, am 6'4 tall and occasionally wear gothic make-up. Sometimes you gotta come down to earth and realise that people are actually getting at you as a person, just the image or stereotype you happen to fit into. Everybody has something about them that another group of people can make fun of and it's up to the individual whether they take it too heart or not.
I still stand by the fact that we don't know whether Piggy will be a good seller but going by recent Muppet sales, Piggy hasn't been one of the best lines.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I still say "Bring on the Pig!" either way. What an addition to an already great collection.

Bear Man

Reaction score
You're exactly right with your choice of words "effectively humorous [generalisations]". Henson's generalisations were tempered by humour, which, again, I don't see in your post. Also, except in highly secondary characters like the banditos, his stereotyping was carefully used with a satirical edge like in his depiction of the blindlessly patriotic Sam. I don't accept your example of the Swedish Chef as a stereotype since all that is being generalised is the Swedish language, and even that the Jim Henson company in the Chef's "bio" has said wasn't necessarily Swedish, that was just the closest guess they could get.

But all of this is secondary to the topic of this thread, which everyone else should feel free to get back to discussing. Uppity, it's clear that I took offense at some of your comments where none was necessarily intended, and have since become annoyed by your dismissive tone, which I am less sure is unintended. If you want to continue this discussion via PM I'm more than happy to continue to press my point of view around the damage generalisations can do, but I don't think this thread is the place for it.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I take it from the avatar and name, Bear Man, that you will be looking forward to the release of our beloved furry, funny, fabulous Fozzie replica!

Bear Man

Reaction score
Let's just say that once a release date for the Bear is announced Travis had better hope there are no factory delays, or he may wake up with a foam horse's head in his bed.