Your Thoughts: Authentic Gonzo Replica

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I'm sure you're all tired of hearing me say how disappointed I was with the Master Replicas Gonzo. So much so, that I didn't buy one. But I did the next best thing, I built my own. Here are the first three pictures of him:

Gonzo 1

Gonzo 2

Gonzo 3

The best thing, he's an actual hand puppet! I'll try to take some pictures of him in action soon.

:stick_out_tongue:
Not to sound critical, as you really have a great talent, but I actually prefer the Master Replicas version (after the slight revisions I have made). However saying that, I certainly would not want to take away from yours as he really is a thing of beauty:smile:

Have you made any others?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
His nose looks too big though. :confused:
Depends on which Gonzo you're comparing him to. Muppet Show Gonzo, yes, it's definitely smaller than mine. Newer Gonzos he looks more like. It also photographs bigger than it really is. Nobody ever says it looks too big when they see him in person.

Truthfully, if I felt like repainting him again, I would make it smaller, but for now, I'm leaving him as he is.

Luke

Reaction score
The foam nose does make a big difference. Great work!

Davina

Reaction score
wow.. that is very cool.. if i had your talent and skill, i'd probably build my own too.. would have had em long since most likely :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yours is an amazing puppet! After working so closely with Gonzo product design in the past I would consider very slightly slimming the nose and darkening the pink on his lip a little bit. The nose is a tad more swollen than what I have seen, but is a lot more accurate than some of the official Creature Shop built posers. Some of their Gonzo beaks weren't great. I'd say your replica is at about my 96% likeness scale. And it's a puppet! :concern: He is the hardest Muppet to get right. The eye lids do look better than the surprised look that is all too common with his products these days.

By the way, is that a Brain statue from Pinky & the Brain down to Gonzo’s right in the first picture?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Yours is an amazing puppet! After working so closely with Gonzo product design in the past I would consider very slightly slimming the nose and darkening the pink on his lip a little bit. The nose is a tad more swollen than what I have seen, but is a lot more accurate than some of the official Creature Shop built posers. Some of their Gonzo beaks weren't great. I'd say your replica is at about my 96% likeness scale. And it's a puppet! :concern: He is the hardest Muppet to get right. The eye lids do look better than the surprised look that is all too common with his products these days.

By the way, is that a Brain statue from Pinky & the Brain down to Gonzo’s right in the first picture?
Thanks for the very much appreciated compliments. The pink color was the hardest of them all to match. But it's actually darker than it photographs with a flash. Next time, I'll take the pictures with a better light source than flash. I also found that there's one poser out there where they used a marker for the pink instead of paint, but I don't like the way that looks. The rest, including the current Puppet Heap Gonzo have been painted.

By the way, he has a working eye mechanism, too! When I take some action photos, I'll demonstrate it.

And yes, good eye! That is a Brain statue. Pinky is on the other side of the room.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
When I did my poser Gonzo, I used the same paint that Terry used on his poser. I will probably getting another Gonzo if I can find one for the right price and redo his nose the way it suppose to be. I have the puppet building skills and carving skills, might as well. The only thing is that the foam is going to be a little expensive, but worth it. :concern:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
When I did my poser Gonzo, I used the same paint that Terry used on his poser. I will probably getting another Gonzo if I can find one for the right price and redo his nose the way it suppose to be. I have the puppet building skills and carving skills, might as well. The only thing is that the foam is going to be a little expensive, but worth it. :concern:
Um...canya make me a Fozzie while you're at it? :embarrassed: I still have hope for him even though it seems that MR is trying to clear their excess stock of posers by slashing the SRP so low. :sympathy: