MASTER REPLICAS @ Toy Fair 08

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I've been a Muppet fan since long before you were born. I think Master Replicas' Kermit is BETTER than some of the overstuffed posers that Henson Co. used. I've always hated those. And that Fozzie poser from Muppets Take Manhattan is horrible. I can't stand to look at it.

So, I take issue with your very premise. The real posers are all over the map as to likeness. I think these measure up and surpass some of them.

Even Gonzo, who I've been very vocal about disliking, is certainly no stuffed toy. Expensive toy, maybe, but I wouldn't call it a stuffed toy. It's lightyears ahead of any other Gonzo product ever made.

If you've seen any of Anthony's (KermieBaby47) pictures, I don't see how you can claim they don't measure up.

:stick_out_tongue:

I think that if you look at anyones pictures on here about any of the posers, it would make others change there minds! :wink:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
So, are you saying we shouldn't own Picasso prints or lithographs, or recordings of songs, because those are both copies of original artistic works.

If the owner of the property makes or authorizes to be made copies of said property, well, that's commerce. That's one of the ways that artists or property owners make money.

To me, it's silly to worry about what a few rotten apples are going to do. If someone really wanted to make a horrible video using Muppets, the resources are already out there. Look at that guy that sells his replicas on e-Bay and Amazon. I wish they'd license real puppets just to shut that guy down.

....and I think you where missing the point on this one.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what in the world is up with creating an expensive high end market Electric Mayhem figurine set out of polystone...a set that will probably be like 100 dollars. Why not just make a version of the prototyped Electric Mayhem muppet minis?
I agree with you on this point. I think there was a market for this stuff before Sideshow and Palisades, but these don't bring much new to the table but added expense. They are fair to good looking (except the Animal figurine). The items could get enough takers, but not as many as the other offerings you mentioned.

And this is going to upset a lot of people, but I'll say it...I've been an avid Muppet fan since the early Reagan era.
Ive seen virtually every image that JHC used the posable Muppet photos in, from 70's posters to 1990's paraody calendars to Milk ads. And uh...those replicas dont look anything like what we see in photo posable Muppets. They look like stuffed toys.

Which leads me to wonder: Maybe JHC or Disney or whomever didnt want *exact* likenesses, and so there was a point to not make the faces look like real real Muppet likenesses.

Master Replicas has been wonderful in helping to re-excite the Muppet community where Palisades had to bail...But upon looking at photos of these four Muppet replicas close up and from all angles...I just dont see the resemblence to the what we see in the calendars, posters, ads, Muppet Magazine covers, trading cards, etc
Woa! Eeek! Most of the images online are terrible pictures taken by staff photograpers treating each poser like a box of Cornflakes instead of an actual Muppet character with personality. The official photography flat out sucks! I wish it weren't so, but that is the correct term. I have to say that in all honesty and there's no reason for it. I wouldn't have bought Animal or Gonzo based on the snapshots up on MR's site even if I had Bill Gates kind of money.

That being said, mass production of a completely authentic Muppet is impossible, but I deem these as "limited edition commercial posers" that incorporate authentic or similar materials as production posers. There are some alterations that had to be made before bringing these to market - some I agree with, others I don't, and I assure you none were made to withold a level of accuracy. In any case, these really are not dolls.

:search: I thought Gonzo was "dollish" from the original photographs, but nope. He is a poser and a beautiful art piece. I get what you are saying and felt similar, but I don't think it can be best explained in words or even most pictures. You gotta actually hold one to get the full scope!

This is as honest as I can be on the matter. I do agree with how these companies (Palisades especially and now Master Replicas) have reignited the Muppet property in many areas. I see Henson trying to replicate that with MINDstyle and not quite hitting the mark. We fans don't need anything too elaborate - just simple products commercially available at reasonable prices. Heck, I'd go for some Muppet, Fraggle, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth PVC minis. There's some easy money there that keeps getting overlooked! :scary:

Here is a photo I just snapped of how my Muppets look at this very moment. If you ever wanted an actual Muppet and have the opportunity to snag any of these I highly recommend that. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker
I've been an avid Muppet fan since the early Reagan era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Was Once Ernie
I've been a Muppet fan since long before you were born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc hopper
it begins.

:eek: I lived in DC down the street from half of Reagan's cabinet in the 81-82 Muppet era! WhaddaIwinnn? :confused:

Telly

Reaction score
I'd rather have the photo props rather than actual puppets

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
So, are you saying we shouldn't own Picasso prints or lithographs, or recordings of songs, because those are both copies of original artistic works.

If the owner of the property makes or authorizes to be made copies of said property, well, that's commerce. That's one of the ways that artists or property owners make money.

To me, it's silly to worry about what a few rotten apples are going to do. If someone really wanted to make a horrible video using Muppets, the resources are already out there. Look at that guy that sells his replicas on e-Bay and Amazon. I wish they'd license real puppets just to shut that guy down.

I'm tempted to agree with that point. That guy is talented, but his sales bother me too. I just think that it's the difference in owning a film and television star or owning a life-size replica of him. I feel the painting expample is "apples and oranges" compared to this.

I can understand owning a Kermit poser, but I don't want just anybody to have one of "the" Kermits on their hand to do with whatever they please. You Tube videos aside, I do feel it weakens the Muppet brand to do so and takes something special away from the actual Kermit. Not that anyone could do what Jim did or Steve does with Kermit. When Disney bought the Muppet brand that's is largely the puppets themselves. It makes sense for them to protect that by not issuing authentic puppets for public use.

I'm surprised that more hasn't been done with the posers on You Tube. Don't want to tempt fate so I'll stop mentioning that now.

Was Once Ernie said:
I don't see how anyone could look at that picture, if they just came across it online, and not think those are the real deal.
Thanks. I like the expression Bowie's Goblin King is giving Gonzo. :concern:

Luke

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could look at that picture, if they just came across it online, and not think those are the real deal.

I agree. Well done Jamie. Really hot pictures, as always! :zany:

Bear Man

Reaction score
Here is a photo I just snapped of how my Muppets look at this very moment. If you ever wanted an actual Muppet and have the opportunity to snag any of these I highly recommend that. :smile:
Very awesome. Every time I see something like this I go to the MR site and have to remind myself I don't know yet if I'll have a tax return or tax bill!

That said, two pieces of (I hope) constructive criticism: first, try to have them all focusing on the one point rather than three different places (I know this is just random posig, but...) and second, have you tried seeing what the Frog looks like with his body more at a 45 degree angle, pushing his head forward?