Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have to disagree. I actually hate hearing something like that. We're Muppet fans. We have to know that puppets aren't all kiddy entertainment.
The thing is, and I think you said this, there is a difference between adult humor and sophomoric humor trying to sound adult. And the classic Muppets have been straying a little too close to the latter lately. Muppet fans do realize that they weren't just for the kids. But the risque jokes used to be more grown up than they sometimes are now. I think that's what's upsetting some fans.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
The thing is you guys keep going on about Nay-sayers about 2 guys working on the movie, doesn't really seem anyone has a problem with them. What it seems is that people have a problem with Disney and they want Disney to prove to them that they can do a good job with the Muppets.
No one is showing what Disney has been doing that's good but instead going on and on about these 2 new guys, which no one seems to really have a problem with because they don't really know much about them.
And like most people I'm not worried about the 2 new guys I'm worried about the big mouse and it's big white gloved thumb coming down on them to place people like Mizz Montanna in the movie, etc.
Quite frankly I just want their suits to back off and let these 2 guys go to town with our fine foamy friends.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I mean, I don't know anything about these guys, so I'm not really commenting on them. I was a little uphappy with the projects even before Disney, but it's just that Disney is the one holding the ball now and has to prove itself, heh.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
TV Guide has a quick peek into the How I Met Your Mother relaunch party (it comes back on Monday and I encourage everyone to watch! 8:30 on CBS!) and most of the cast was too busy getting grilled about Britney Spear's guest spot to say anything else, but Jason did mention this:

Segel also discussed his moonlighting as a big-time Hollywood writer when he's not working on HIMYM. "I'm writing the script to the next Muppet movie," he said. "The fact that I have been sitting in front of my computer working on something that I used to love as a kid is really big for me. It's like a dream come true."

C'mon you nay-sayers. Doesn't that make you want to smile even a little bit? The original link is here: http://community.tvguide.com/blog-e...arty-Central-Latest/Met-Mother-Cast/800035546

And Beau--I can't remember that episode! I must break out my Alias DVDs to find it! (Actually I really don't have a good memory of the show after seasons 1 and 2--I watched it religiously but everything kinda blended together once Sydney lost the two years.)
Wow that sounds to me like this is going to be great! I don't think writeing the script will take that long, but the thing that will take the longest is the rebuilding of the Muppets if you know what i mean. I'm sure there are some that are in need of repair.

He really seems to be pasionet about this movie don't you think?

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
I have to disagree. I actually hate hearing something like that.
I hear what your saying when you talk about hating hearing something like that, I understand that and I dont blame you. Thing is things are changing, the companys changing, theres some transition pains here I think and thats going to bring up questions from the fans...I think the company itself has a very scattered vision, Ive been over that in the fantasy world forums for those who pop over there every now and then. I think the company is clearly trying to find their Identity in whats obviously a new Henson era. I believe the original poster is right on the money, let things move on and be happy that the Muppets are clearly in better hands, Disneys in top form, its a good thing for us if you ask me.

I think the new Henson Alternative projects are really showing promise for older groups. We wouldn't see this type of thing in the muppets, because it doesn't fit in with them.
Thats fair enough, although I dont agree with the promise myself. I will also agree with your last point here although I will still continue to question why the "come watch tinsletown!" and "meet the skrumps" banner links are right beside each other on henson.com... its just another reason why I just dont think they got their stuff together right now and are out of touch with their fan base. Things are way to jumbled and unorganized. I love the company, always have, always will, but I think for the forseeable future theres alot to work on and accomplish on their end...

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I will also agree with your last point here although I will still continue to question why the "come watch tinsletown!" and "meet the skrumps" banner links are right beside each other on henson.com.
Perhaps to promote unity and to show that Henson aren't closed minded and never have been? I don't know really...*shruggs*

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I still think the Oz nipple joke was funny, harmless and it flew by. I thought such a mountain was made out of a Tin Thing.

My problem with Oz (Ashanti aside) was the lack of spectacle. There was so much in the corners that I thought would have made for a better richer scope, but they took the fork down the pedestrian avenue of the yellow brick road. Maybe it was a budget thing.

I liked OZ okay, but there seemed to be something missing. I don't think that there's one minute of that film that can compare with any given minute of the low budget sketches on muppets.com. That is what gives me hope.

I have felt that the Muppets are doing too many specific remakes rather than the genre remakes of the classic trilogy – the road-to movie, the thief/caper and the New York/Broadway-bound film. Now it is remakes of Scrooge, Treasure Island, Wizard of Oz, It’s a Wonderful Life and even trying to spin off The Muppet Movie a little with Swamp Years. I can’t tell you what Muppets from Space was, but it appears to have been a good film that was slaughtered by too much meddling by careless executives.

That was the film that should have been, now we just might get that with this new offering. I won’t swallow whatever’s out there and say it’s great, but I am going into it with an open and hopeful mindset.

One type of film I’d like to see the Muppets do would be an old-style gangster period picture with many parodies and cameos of that genre. Kind of like the Muppet Show cast in Dog City. Not that this is what that is, but I think it would play well. The public likes gangster movies and the Muppets have always been skilled at skirting the gun issue in their plots.

I'm thinking this new project will be young and fresh while keeping the Muppets' classic mystique intact. It appears that these guys are fans. That could be a good thing.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
A lot of folks on here are obviously hating on Disney. We should actually all be thanking them because they have kept the muppets safe and not run them into the ground. Also, that they have faith in the franchise enough to bring it new blood. Disney should be getting kudos as far as i'm concerned.

Disney will not make another Muppets of Oz that's for sure as all those execs have been canned since way back then. I think they will modernize the muppets in some way or another. I mean they have to do something current. This is how it works in Hollywood with feature films. Current, current, current.

I don't find that to be so scary - they are not going to rip apart the basic fundementals that apply to the Muppets. You can hear that in the new writers comments - he is a long standing muppet fan and suddenly has a dream project and a lot of responsibility. Send good energy his and Disneys way is what I say!

(It's a stab in the dark and the there's no point in really guessing what he will write, but I'm seeing a ROAD PICTURE, that's my guess? Oh wait, they just did that with College road trip, scratch that - haha)

Beauregard

Reaction score
You guys are right in saying that I've been avoiding the Disney issue and concentrating on the "New Two". That's because I thought the Disney issue was obvious enough.

People keep spouting anti-Disney remarks, talking about Montana's and High School musicals, but what about the other Cinematic releases including the charming Meet the Robinsons, the bitter sweet serious Bridge over Terribathia, Pirates of the Carabean...which was in no way dumbed down, from the hangings in the opening to the deathes and dead bodies splattered hither and thither throughout. What about National Treasure Two? A serious thinking movie. Or Enchanted, which makes a marvelous job of taking something magic (like the Muppets) and putting it into the real world.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I'll say for the last time I'm not anti-Disney, I like allot of Disney things, just not many modern things they have done.
I do love the Pirates movies, and I'm done here I tried to make a light hearted joke but people want to look at everything as negative, You may think I'm being negative but I'll just wait to see for myself what they do and don't do, and when things go good or bad, we're all going to be there reguardless so can we please stop pointing fingers at one another already?

Status
Not open for further replies.