Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauregard

Reaction score
First of all...Greg, as always, the news you bring is fantastic! My first reaction was, "Who ARE they?" my second was, "Oh wow, they are BIG names right now." My third, "Oh...interesting." And my fourth, which prompted this mahussive post, was "Why must muppet fans have their heads so far up their own...um...Puppet holes?...that they can't see the light at the end of the tunnel?"

It is an exciting development. I see now that Muppets.com XD is Disney's way of drumming up viewer support without having to create a television series yet. Smart thinking. The content gives me confidence that the Mouse is getting to know the Muppet characters and humor much better than before.
I agree, Frogboy! It was a smart move, testing the waters, and the waters reacted brilliantly! They seem to be investing a lot of time and money into the site, and the Muppets, and the fact this pitch came from an outside source and met their prerequisits for Muppetness...seems totally exciting to me.

This is so incredible!:smile:
Yes it is! And I'm not even looking at it with my eyes shut.

I never heard of Jason Segel...
I don't think any of us knew him by name...but from what I know of his list (surprisingly, he even cameoed in Alias!) he is a completly down to earth guy.

Um...

Did anyone check out the IMDB profiles of these two? This is who Disney tapped?
Yes, I checked it right away...and I am only encouraged. The writer acted in Knocked Up, one of the most successfull run-away blockbusters of the year which outdid Shrek 3 in the cinema. Let's see the next Muppet movie do that, or any Muppet movie, before casting aspersions.

This is exciting, but I'll believe it when I see it....
True dat. There have been way too many cancelled Muppet productions. There's nothing to say that this will be...I haven't seen the Muppet Boiling pot bubbling so hard since the days of VMC and MFS! Besides, none of us thought that MWOO was real...

this could be good though, they the two Disny has sigined to write and direct could work, and give the Muppets there edge they need.
In my experience, writers and actors gain a tone (the same way that writers gain a voice) and everything I've seen from this team is edgy and, more importantly, reality based. The next Muppet film, in which the Muppets will undoubtedly be playing themselves, will (at this rate) be reality based and that can only be a good thing.

...if this is who it takes to get another Muppet movie. My response is it better be good....
Sarah! How nice to see you here! Love as always to vous!

As long as it's not any more Simpsons writers.
Oh because the Simpsons is suuuch a failed project...and sooo unsuccessfull...success of that type would be sooo bad for the Muppets...I am sooo being sarcastic right now...

According to the article, Segel pitched Disney a concept so it must be pretty strong for the Disney brass to greenlight the writing of the script. I don't care if who's writing the script as long as it's good. I don't think Disney was in any hurry to do a major Muppet project, so the idea that they are showing enthusiasm may say wonders about the concept.
Exactly! *hugs Hippo* The fact that Disney has paused so many projects and waited for such a long time only tells us that if they run with something they really do mean it.

Hope, hope, and more hope! :big_grin:
Squee! I officially love you right now! *hugs for enthusiasm!*

...FINALLYYYY! :excited:
Love you too Meepy! What is it with Beakerfan's being enthusiastic! Yay!

Meep!

YAAAAY! It's something!
Something, no matter how small, can be the start of something huge.

Hmm..I don't like ether of their styles of movies that much so my hopes are not too high :stick_out_tongue:
Their styles, it has to be admitted, tend to lean towards the cruder sensabilities...or do they? Is it that they enjoy making Sex jokes or that they see life as it really is? From what I see of them...They see life in a true way, and if they can see the Muppets in a true light...this could be wonderful.

I can't help but hold onto tons of optimism and hope for this.
No one is asking you to let go of that! Hold on as Gonzo would to an escaping pair of balooons...or as Pepe would to the same baloons.

I just hope it doesn't end up as one of these:
"Piggy Montana"
"Muppet School the Musical"
"101 Muppets"
"Piggy Poppins"
"The Frog & the Hound"
"The Frog Prince 2: Taminella's Revenge"
"Pepe In Wonderland"
"The Great Muppet Detective"
"The Pepe's New Groove"
"Janice And Stitch"
"Brother Bear 2: Fozzie Checks In"
Why would you say that? Why? Why? (Although Pepe's New Groove sounds amazing!)

*ahem*

Where in any of Segel of Stoller's work have you seen anything that matches up to Disney purity or magic? Nowhere...Take enough of the gritty Segel realism and match it against Disney's pink magic and I think we have the workings of something great.

People, please take the time to get off your anti-disney hobby horses...

Meh... I'm excited for the possibilities, but also nervous. I'm just not sure the Disney brass really understands the Muppets or what would constitute a *good* Muppet script.
It's good to be nervious! No one wants to jump in eyes wide shut...but every single thing that I have seen this year in relation to Disney and Muppets, from appearences, to mugs, to merch, to website, has given me nothing but hope.

I think they know a lot about what constitutes a good "kid movie" script...
Remember that POC3 started with multiple hangings of innocent people, including a child...Disney is not all light and magic.

Oh. my. gawd. This just seriously made my day, I'm completely euphoric now! =D <3 I can't wait!
Mwoooha! I'm with you!

Disney has an incredible management team and i'm sure they are looking for a fresh spin as the Muppets so desperately need.
Good point! Remember that Segel has been involved with some of the best seling movies of last year! It can be great things, great.

Helloooo everybodyy!

I was SO PSYCHED to hear this news, and I come here (I'm not REALLY supposed to forum-post at work) and so many people are already so worried about it. Be happy! The cup is half-full not half-empty!
I LOVE this! His Sarah! Thanks for optermism!

Does anyone here watch How I Met Your Mother? Jason plays Marshall, who is pretty much the sweetest character on tv today
I've never seen it, but I saw Jason in Alias and HE was the sweetest character to appear in that...and stayed in my mind ever since!

Another thing that makes me excited about it is that he approached Disney about it. They didn't court him. That's got to mean that (a) he's a Muppet fan, (b) he wants them to make a big comeback and (c) he believes in himself.
Check. Check. Check!

First of all, I am excited. Second of all, I know he's really busy, but I wish Brian would direct
*points to various coments about Brian and humping dogs*

Couldn't have phrased it better.

Oh we're on the same page...but shouldn't some of the head Muppet veterans have a big helping hand with the writing?
I agree, in part. I would love to see Jim Lewis heavily involved.

But remember, these guys know how to write movies.

Well we got some good news, as Aint It Cool News spoke with these two guys!
For the record, it was Aint it Cool who broke the news of Mwoo...and that turned out to be a reality! I love their article. It encourages me!

I have a hunch this dude may have a handle on the Muppets that the writers of Muppet OZ just didn't have.
*tick*

Its going to be all of those and worse. Di$ney have attached a couple of trendy names for their first tentative dip into murky muppet waters.
Ouch! They are seriosuly experienced, and understand the Nerdy Tweenage market (that to which Muppets are aimed, and most of us fit into) better than anyone!

Di$ney dont pay attention to the internet fan base.
Um...I think you'll find they do.

So, heres how I see it transpire...

Huge Brand Relaunch:
New Characters:
Fewer Familiar ones:
Desperate attempt to win the Teeny Dollar:
Lots of Happy Meals sold.
You're falling into the mould of assuming that Disney does everything the same...They don't.

Pirates is a great example of how they went ahead and killed people, got drunk, and went suggestive about sex and threesomes and didn't sell any pink Happy meals or create characters for the heck of it.

Till that day, your just gonna have to put up with The Muppets doing High school Musical type / color by numbers / middle of the road / soul-less pap.
Yeah...Because that's what Sarah Marshall and Knocked Up are...HighSchoolMsicalEsque...

Wait, no, I think that's not right...I think they were gritty, groundbreaking comedies about real people...

I think it is going to be better than expected. Disney has been making some very intelligent choices lately. Don't count them out...
Love it! True true true!

Ooh, thanks for the article. I saw the thread and got excited, but I didn't know of the two guys mentioned. Here it seems like they are really passionate and enthusiastic, and I think a fresh new way to approach a muppet movie sounds REALLY exciting! :excited: :flirt: :crazy:
I agree! I am over the moon with excitment!

TMM - GMC: 2 years
GMC - MTM: 3 years
MTM - MCC: 9 years
MCC - MTI: 3 years
MTI - MFS: 3 years
MFS - projected date of 2010: 11 years
I understood this list as theatrical movies, my love. :stick_out_tongue:

I don't understand why some people want to doom this movie before it even starts.
Neither do I!

I apologize for my slight rant
And don't apologize...sometimes a rant is needed!

BTW, am I the only one who thinks "Taminella's Revenge" sounds pretty awesome?
Why, yes you are!

I can't speak ill for this movie, since we don't even have anything to go on. We have the names of people who may write the script. That's all. Nothing more. We can't say it's going to be bad when we don't even know what genre it is. Not even a small piece of the plot.
*points at that* A good post! Read it.

As long as we can get something as golden as Muppet Treasure Island, I will be happy :smile:
While I don't expect any movie to reach the heights of MTI...I can see this movie going far.

I can assure you that Disney will not be looking to do something traditional with the muppets.
Of course they won't! Old is old.

I too am looking forward to it. Now if Disney would just buy the rights to "Muppets Take Manhattan" and "Muppets From Space" from Sony so that we could bring all of the Muppet theatricals under one roof...
Interesting thought...

I can't wait to hear more and i'm right on top of it no matter what. I'm with Disney and these two guys right from where it begins..
Hi Kyle. Missed ya!

I admire your faith, and I will certainly keep a lookout for news :smile:
Keep the faith, people!

It's not because I don't want the muppets to do well, it's just that I'm frightened that they might from this time on be changing the characters everytime the newest fad comes along in movies...
But becoming realistic and down to Earth is what Muppets Take Manhatten's direction style is all about. In fact, Stoller's direction reminds me of Franks in Death at a Funeral.

In Hollywood it's about being current and it looks like they've snagged something - an idea! I have faith in the team Segal and Stoller as they are very funny, current and obviously muppet fans.
I'm with you there.

lol it's funny how split up we all are on our ideas of a good muppet movie.
And yet...we all want the same thing.

I think that since he went to pitch the Muppets movie, he's obviously a fan. Who would do good with a Muppets movie? A fan! I hope he really is a fan and gives us a great movie. I can't wait. This is good news to know it's being thought of and I hope it also is accompanied by a TV show. There is such great merchandise, and the Muppets.com stuff is too cool, so we're finally headed in the right direction! Go Diz!
Go Foz!

I guess I want something with the "early maturity" and isn't too gimmicky/parody/childish-y. I hope that makes sense, I don't know how to explain it without sounding like an idiot.
I know exactly what you are saying. And I think Muppets have always been for the early maturity audience. And that this movie could involve a lot of Fozzie growing up.

That's all I have time for right now, but I think...we need to not judge the movie until it's made, never ever throw every Disney project under one name as if they were all the same, and have some faith that Knocked Up isn't about sex, its about seeing life through the perspective of real people.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I hardly know what to say here. I do hope this project does come off as there have been cancellations before.
Also, as MrsPepper said, it's been 11 years since Muppets From Space was released, and I thought that film was ordinary myself. That's only my opinion, of course. Unlike some people, I loved Muppet Treasure Island. Even Billy Connelly was good in it.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHHA OMG Beau, that was the longest, most awesome-est response to an entire thread in one post that I've ever read. Your enthusiasm is JUMPING off the screen! Cheers to that! :smile:

Btw, WHO was Jason Segel in Alias? Because I love me my Alias but definitely don't remember him popping up... What season?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Remember when she went to a club and met a guy named Sam who worked there, and there was an instant connection. And then he helped her get out of the club, loosing his job. And they were chassed by an airplane with a gun on it? Not sure which season. 3 or 4.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Their styles, it has to be admitted, tend to lean towards the cruder sensabilities...or do they? Is it that they enjoy making Sex jokes or that they see life as it really is? From what I see of them...They see life in a true way, and if they can see the Muppets in a true light...this could be wonderful.
Not everyone has the same idea about what makes a good movie :stick_out_tongue:. I watch movies to get away from the 99% of stories that live for the next sex joke just because 'that is what sells' and 'it's everywhere, live with it'. I hope they will be above that as the writers of the muppets :smile:.
I really don't mind if most people still think the muppets are just for kids because I know that that is not the truth. IMHO the muppets will always get more new fans in years to come, even without a PG-13 rating. The magic is always there for people willing to see beyond what most people think (that the muppets are mainly for five year olds).
I have faith, I am just keeping my own brand of it :smile:.

I know many people don't hold my pov and it is old and dusty to most, but I would love to see what they could do with a new muppet fantasy movie that was not based on a book...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I will try to be optimistic, but also cautious. Stay tuned. :wink:

As far as "sex jokes," I'll just say there's a difference between adult humor and immature humor.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Not everyone has the same idea about what makes a good movie :stick_out_tongue:. I watch movies to get away from the 99% of stories that live for the next sex joke just because 'that is what sells' and 'it's everywhere, live with it'. I hope they will be above that as the writers of the muppets :smile:.
I really don't mind if most people still think the muppets are just for kids because I know that that is not the truth. IMHO the muppets will always get more new fans in years to come, even without a PG-13 rating. The magic is always there for people willing to see beyond what most people think (that the muppets are mainly for five year olds).
I have faith, I am just keeping my own brand of it :smile:.

I know many people don't hold my pov and it is old and dusty to most, but I would love to see what they could do with a new muppet fantasy movie that was not based on a book...
My dear, my dear...Don't think that I was intimating that your views are old and dusty...I want the Muppets to stay family oriented as much as the next guy. What I was saying is that films like Knocked Up, Juno, and Sarah Marshall are that they appear to only be seeking sex jokes...but really they are just being honest.

It's the way that people of that age catagory talk these days.

Which doesn't mean that the Muppets will have sex jokes, it means that if they can be honest to the early-mature audience, they can be totally honest towards the Muppet audience.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I understand what you mean Beau, defintely. I'm just thinking that not every young person is thinking about that stuff (and I had some problems with Juno that I won't get into here hehe).

Redsonga

Reaction score
I understand what you mean Beau, defintely. I'm just thinking that not every young person is thinking about that stuff (and I had some problems with Juno that I won't get into here hehe).
I agree. What Hollywood puts out at large and sells is not a reflection of every single young person that goes to that movie, or even all of those who like it for whatever reason :coy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What just makes me nervous is this idea that they need to update themselves to appeal to an modern audience. First of all, I don't believe it's true; in real life plenty of people (including kids) watch older movies and TV shows. Second, history often shows that when entertainment tries to be something it's not, it doesn't gain a new audience for long and ends up upsetting the old one.

I'll stay optimistic for a new film, definitely, I'm just not into the modernize argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.