Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
As long as we can get something as golden as Muppet Treasure Island, I will be happy :smile:

But please, nothing like In Space or Wizards of Oz (I really didn't care for those).

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I can assure you that Disney will not be looking to do something traditional with the muppets. They have been looking for something that breaks them out of that box this whole time. That is not necessarily a bad thing. To put them back in the mainstream we couldn't have another Muppet Caper, Treasure Island or etc. It would have to be something more cutting edge and this new development could spell wonderment for this whole franchise.

I actually have faith in them. They didn't do the obvious and run the franchise into the ground. They held on to it and pondered and those execs are very shrewd. Hollywood is shrewd. It produces a lot of crap and I may eat these very words but, every once in awhile it works.

McFraggle

Reaction score
I too am looking forward to it. Now if Disney would just buy the rights to "Muppets Take Manhattan" and "Muppets From Space" from Sony so that we could bring all of the Muppet theatricals under one roof...

Erine81981

Reaction score
I can't wait to hear more and i'm right on top of it no matter what. I'm with Disney and these two guys right from where it begins. Here on Muppet Central. I really hope to see this in Theaters soon. Come on Disney your doing well so far keep it up and don't let any of us fans down now.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I can assure you that Disney will not be looking to do something traditional with the muppets. They have been looking for something that breaks them out of that box this whole time. That is not necessarily a bad thing. To put them back in the mainstream we couldn't have another Muppet Caper, Treasure Island or etc. It would have to be something more cutting edge and this new development could spell wonderment for this whole franchise.

I actually have faith in them. They didn't do the obvious and run the franchise into the ground. They held on to it and pondered and those execs are very shrewd. Hollywood is shrewd. It produces a lot of crap and I may eat these very words but, every once in awhile it works.
I admire your faith, and I will certainly keep a lookout for news :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
To put them back in the mainstream we couldn't have another Muppet Caper, Treasure Island or etc.
Fooie :stick_out_tongue:. Not even a little one? *big pleading fraggle eyes*
Of course, mainstream as it is now is really not the best thing ever, even if it sells. That's why I am doom a gloom. It's not because I don't want the muppets to do well, it's just that I'm frightened that they might from this time on be changing the characters everytime the newest fad comes along in movies . The timeless feeling of the muppets to me is what made the older movies work so well :smile:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
The traditional format of muppet movies in the past would not bode well with audiences of today. Not to scare you. Muppets Wizard of Oz looked great on paper. Any oz/muppet fans would have been hooked. But, as they found out it takes more than drawing the traditional crowds.

In Hollywood it's about being current and it looks like they've snagged something - an idea! I have faith in the team Segal and Stoller as they are very funny, current and obviously muppet fans.

Segal is brilliant - his comedy works with the current theater going audience.

We'll see how this all plays out but, if you will notice in my post in Fantasy Worlds/Where The Wild Things Are - I was pleasantly surprised that Hollywood is on the up and up concerning this up and coming masterpiece.

Don't lose faith in Hollywood - a lot of crapola - no doubt. But, a lot of great stuff too. The muppets are safe with Disney - they won't kill the franchise.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
As long as we can get something as golden as Muppet Treasure Island, I will be happy :smile:

But please, nothing like In Space or Wizards of Oz (I really didn't care for those).
lol it's funny how split up we all are on our ideas of a good muppet movie.
The Muppets doing old books does not a good movie make for me.
And for me Treasure Island is in my least fave movies right up there with Muppets Oz.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think that since he went to pitch the Muppets movie, he's obviously a fan. Who would do good with a Muppets movie? A fan! I hope he really is a fan and gives us a great movie. I can't wait. This is good news to know it's being thought of and I hope it also is accompanied by a TV show. There is such great merchandise, and the Muppets.com stuff is too cool, so we're finally headed in the right direction! Go Diz!

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
lol it's funny how split up we all are on our ideas of a good muppet movie.
The Muppets doing old books does not a good movie make for me.
And for me Treasure Island is in my least fave movies right up there with Muppets Oz.
The Great Muppet Caper is my favorite, along with Christmas Carol, but if I had to chose, TI is OK, too. Actually, I think I meant Christmas Carol when I wrote that. I'm kinda out of it today.

I guess I want something with the "early maturity" and isn't too gimmicky/parody/childish-y. I hope that makes sense, I don't know how to explain it without sounding like an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.