1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

lol it's funny how split up we all are on our ideas of a good muppet movie.
    The Muppets doing old books does not a good movie make for me.
    And for me Treasure Island is in my least fave movies right up there with Muppets Oz.
  2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I think that since he went to pitch the Muppets movie, he's obviously a fan. Who would do good with a Muppets movie? A fan! I hope he really is a fan and gives us a great movie. I can't wait. This is good news to know it's being thought of and I hope it also is accompanied by a TV show. There is such great merchandise, and the Muppets.com stuff is too cool, so we're finally headed in the right direction! Go Diz!
  3. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

The Great Muppet Caper is my favorite, along with Christmas Carol, but if I had to chose, TI is OK, too. Actually, I think I meant Christmas Carol when I wrote that. I'm kinda out of it today.

I guess I want something with the "early maturity" and isn't too gimmicky/parody/childish-y. I hope that makes sense, I don't know how to explain it without sounding like an idiot.
  4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

It wasn't the traditional format that made MWOO not work to me, it was the fact that the story felt rushed, halfbaked and badly written (just to me, as a writer). As a muppet fan even I did not like it for this reason:o . I wanted to, I really did...
    On the other hand I loved Muppets in Space for some un-goshly reason. I have no idea why...
  5. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

Jason Segel is an AMAZINGLY talented actor, and from what I can see "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is gonna be really great. This is incredibly exciting to me.
  6. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

Muppets Wiz of Oz was crap we all know that - but, do you realize how many years ago that was? I mean, Ashanti has fallen into obscurity and Disney has gone on to produce some of the most amazing works. Can I safely say that Ratatouille should have been in the best film category for the Oscars.

Disney is on the rise.... Trust & believe!
  7. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Don't worry, I trust in Disney itself :). I mean I grew up loving The Muppets at Walt Disney World, and they must have had a big hand in the making of that :D. (Good golly Disney, please put that on DVD...please? Pleeeese?:cry: )
  8. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I am VERY excited by this news--I really like the Apatow projects that Segel has been involved with, and I'm encouraged that Stoller was involved with Undeclared as well. I think this is exactly what the Muppets need--an infusion of current cutting edge comedic talent, presumably talent that loves the Muppets.

I also think that since both of these people have been involved with highly improvisatory comedy, it can only bode well for the Muppets. Anything that encourages the Muppeteers to let loose and improvise will at least give us great outtakes, and at best give us the kind of crackling in-character wit and energy that the Muppets should have.

:)
  9. Ruahnna

Ruahnna Well-Known Member

Like most of you, I'm full of hope and anxiety, but unlike some of you, I'm not full of sarcasm and snottiness. (You know who you are.) I think we need to stop kicking a gift horse in the mouth. I had a few of points that seemed pertinent:

1. Brian Henson has his own gig now--full of humping dog puppets and bathroom humor. That's what he wants to do with his legacy and he ought to be left to it. If he were the one who was going to bring the Muppets back in all their glory, he'd have done it by now. I think we should wish him well and MOVE ON.

2. It takes a rare actor who can write, direct AND act. (Yes, yes--I know they all think they can do all of that, but you know and we see that it's not true.) To expect our beloved muppeteers to have the same level of skill in all areas is probably not realistic or fair. Someone who is interested in the muppets--interested enough to pitch something TO Disney--AND who has a history with the muppet organization professionally wants to write a script. He's written scripts in the past. Your cup of tea or not, they have sold. I'm going to try to clamp down on my anxiety and be excited and hopeful.

3. Speculation that Disney will dump the old characters and replace them with all new ones doesn't seem to be a well-thought-out criticism. The new Disney XD site is not overrun with unfamiliar muppets--and I was frankly shocked by the familiar feel of some of the skits. The goofiness, the camaradie, the poignancy--all were things I RECOGNIZED. If they're just leading us on, they haven't given us cause to suspect them of it YET. Let's not be pre-emptive in our break-up.

4. I think it behooves us to remember that Disney will be watching us--the ones who ALREADY love the muppets. If we rant and rail and kick and scream we may prove to be more trouble than we are worth, and we as a fan base might get left in the dust while the PTB at Disney search for a BRAND NEW audience. I'm not saying turn your brains off--I might be saying to turn your hostility off until they've actually fired the first shot.

Folks--this is good news. I know you're nervous--I'm scared to death. But this is, literally, life and death for some people that are dear to all of us. I WANT to see Kermit up on the screen again--and not just pushing a shopping cart. I can't wait to see Ms. Piggy larger than life. (Watch it!) If Gonzo's going to tap dance in tapioca, I want it to be on a screen large enough to see his feet! Let's not lose our hope--let's take a page from Kermit's book and all pull together.
  10. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I agree on both fronts!

I remember in 1999/2000/2001/2002 people thinking I was weird for pushing the idea of "out there" directors possibly what the Muppets needed, like Spike Jonze, or a number of indie directors.

For almost a decade on muppet central myself and many others have long been dreaming for the glorious return of the Muppets...it didnt quite come in 1999, or 2002...I believe in the next few years we could finally get that.

Muppets.com for instance, is endlessly wonderful content...and yeah, it does show Disney may *finally* be getting on the ball

With the HA! Brand, Fraggle Rock renewal, etc there is much on the horizon to celebrate.
  11. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Ya kidding? MWOZ sounded like a horrific idea to myself and many Muppet fans from the get go. Many of us knew it'd blow, and it exceded our expectations of crummyness.

Very Muppet Movie I felt was pretty darn good, almost close to an actual Muppet film in some ways.

But I think your right with Stoller/Segal. I wish they could make it a PG film, instead of G. They may just be the team to really make people realize the Muppets arent some nostalgic trip, but hip and relevent for today.

I agree, I absolutely loathe Christmas Carol/Treasure Island/Muppet Oz. There should never again be the Muppets having to star in some classic retelling
  12. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

Amens sista! I'm all with you on this one. Too many folks grabbing the old brass ring that has since rusted and fallen apart...

13. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I never said they would be replaced, I just meant I hope they are kept true to character :). I've seen many older characters turned into things they are not to be 'hip'. I hope the soul of the new site stays in the movie...

Anyway, just because I am nervous doesn't mean I don't want to see a new film to...I'm not kicking and screaming, or looking anything in the mouth, just very nervous...I mean can't we state our worries here without being afraid Disney will look here and say 'no muppets for you'? :( I'm not one of those crazy fans that would start writing email rants to them or anything.
    I like most of the new things on the site to :)
  14. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

pft Disney is going to do what Disney wants to do reguardless of what some angry fans say online, and you know those people will be put in there place.
    Disney should take all of this and go wow these people are hard core, make a great film and then give them something to chew on while having it tatse good mind you :)
  15. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

ha ha your so right in that
  16. Craig Crane

Craig Crane New Member

I hope I fall into that category, because you need to be able to see both sides to every story or opinion. It would take a miracle on Disneys part to come up with something new, fresh, original AND contemporary.

I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, because I dont take any pleasure in seeing the Muppets fail. Im as passionate as the next fan. Always have, always will be.
  17. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's why I was against Muppet Oz from the start. Only reason why the other two literary films worked was because of Jerry's script work. Personally, I like MCC as a christmas movie, but as a Muppet film, I find it dull. MTI was much better, though I would have cast a different, less effeminant Jim Hawkins. Plus, Miss Piggy seemed contractually pasted in at the end.

But Oz failed on the literary level, and the fact they didn't know who they wanted to watch it, and played to too many other groups, Tweens and frat boys. Plus, with the literary stories, the Muppets played second (in MCC's case, Third) to human actors. At least Treasure Island had a wackiness to it.

That's why, ironically, I think VMX and MFS are much better films. They had conceptual problems, no question, but the muppets actually Starred in it. VMX was about Kermit, MFS was about Gonzo. MCC was about Michael Cain, and MTI was about whoever played Jim Hawkins with Rizzo and Gonzo as comedic sidekicks (sort of like Philo and Gunge to Marjory the Trash Heap).

I'd go for PG as well, since that seems like the biggest draw. It's a family movie, yes, but it's not as cloyingly sweet as mainstream people think G is. That's how 90% of animated films are marketed, even when they deserve a G rating. I was surprised to see Ratatoullie was rated G.

As long as we have original muppet music in this one, and it's composed by someone good. MFS had a funk track. Much as I like Funk, it just didin't work without anyone singing. VMX's only song was okay, but Oz only had one good song in the whole bunch - The Witch is in the House.
  18. TotallySpiesFan

TotallySpiesFan New Member

I hope this film needs to move forward to production.
  19. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

I think I'll wait and see where this little venture of writing goes to. They could write a muppet movie and the Disney execs might not like it. Then they'll go to the drawing board again.

Or they could create a muppet movie that turns out to be a stinker.
  20. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Yes, and also TMNT and The Simpsons Movie.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.