1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean Beau, defintely. I'm just thinking that not every young person is thinking about that stuff (and I had some problems with Juno that I won't get into here hehe).
  2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I agree. What Hollywood puts out at large and sells is not a reflection of every single young person that goes to that movie, or even all of those who like it for whatever reason :coy:
  3. heralde

What just makes me nervous is this idea that they need to update themselves to appeal to an modern audience. First of all, I don't believe it's true; in real life plenty of people (including kids) watch older movies and TV shows. Second, history often shows that when entertainment tries to be something it's not, it doesn't gain a new audience for long and ends up upsetting the old one.

I'll stay optimistic for a new film, definitely, I'm just not into the modernize argument.
  4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I agree. The fact that the muppets were not always modernized every generation (beyond Miss. Piggy's hair, and styles of music) it what made them truly timeless I think. And from what I have seen many of the next generation are discoving the older movies and loving them just as much as we did :excited: .
  5. heralde

I think the difference is, in the old days they took pop culture and molded it in a weird way, which audiences responded to. But more recently they've sometimes allowed pop culture to mold them. And I don't think audiences have responded to that in a huge way. So more modernizing isn't the key to me.
  6. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I am with you all the way on this Beau. Your are truely one of the Muppet Fans i wouldn't mind going to seeing a Muppet movie no matter who make them. If Disney wants to do whatever they do i'm fine with that. Yes there are some stuff that i wouldn't want to see Disney do but who really cares. As long as i get a Muppet movie of some kind i'm ok with that.
  7. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

That's the feeling I get to :o . And I love Disney at heart the same way that I love the muppets. Just because I have not loved the most current things they have done does not mean I love them as a whole any less than I ever did :). Honestly, being a bit picky about my hopes for a new moive does not mean I am against the whole idea. As if they would ever listen to me anyway:coy:
  8. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The retro music of "Muppets from Space" caused the characters to appear even more like artifacts of the past rather than viable characters that live and breath in modern culture.

I see the Muppets like Coca-Cola. They are most enduring in classic form. They can alter the image a bit, but too much tampering with the formula leaves a bad aftertaste. :p
  9. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

I was kidding everyone needs to calm down seriously sheesh!:)
    Um I'm not anti Disney I'm Anti-crap and those teenie bopper empty minded movies are just that.
    I WAS TRYING TO MAKE A LIGHT HEARTED WITTY JOKE ABOUT THE PAST FEW YEARS OF STUFF THEY'VE BEEN DOING.
    SO PLEASE DON'T LUMP ME IN WITH THE HATERS.
    K THANKS!
    And people learn to take a joke, I think that Muppet fans seriously need to take a page from the muppet hand book and stop being so dang serious.
    Once again I was making a light hearted joke at things they would have done no where did I bash anyone.
    So I'll thank you to get off your high horse Beau *hands you mop*

btw! if I didn't think they where doing a good job I wouldn't of said this, now would I?
    You need to read everything everyone has said before you start pointing fingers Beau...

You know you get mad at people who make light of Disneys recent horrible direct to dvd past, and yet it's ok for you to make fun of Jim's Son and what he's up to now.
    I'd much rather go to Puppet Up any day of the week than suffer through another episode of Hanna Bananna.
    No she's not, and you know, being rude and negative just because you think others are being a certain way isn't right Either Beau.

Eggzactly!
  10. SarahOnBway

SarahOnBway Member

TV Guide has a quick peek into the How I Met Your Mother relaunch party (it comes back on Monday and I encourage everyone to watch! 8:30 on CBS!) and most of the cast was too busy getting grilled about Britney Spear's guest spot to say anything else, but Jason did mention this:

Segel also discussed his moonlighting as a big-time Hollywood writer when he's not working on HIMYM. "I'm writing the script to the next Muppet movie," he said. "The fact that I have been sitting in front of my computer working on something that I used to love as a kid is really big for me. It's like a dream come true."

C'mon you nay-sayers. Doesn't that make you want to smile even a little bit? The original link is here: http://community.tvguide.com/blog-e...arty-Central-Latest/Met-Mother-Cast/800035546

And Beau--I can't remember that episode! I must break out my Alias DVDs to find it! (Actually I really don't have a good memory of the show after seasons 1 and 2--I watched it religiously but everything kinda blended together once Sydney lost the two years.)
  11. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

That's awesome Sarah.... I'm so super excited after hearing that. I have good feelings about this one.
  12. heralde

Definitely, I don't think being picky or cautious is wrong at all. Supporting Disney/Muppets doesn't have to mean I support every project ever done. :)

To be honest, when I saw that scene at the beginning of MFS, it never occured to me that the song was old. I mean, they play it all the time. But maybe that's just me, lol. ::shrugs::

I'm just not seeing this attitude from the general public, I'm not seeing them discriminate against entertaiment from the past.

But yeah the Coca-Cola analogy is a good one. There's definitely a fine line. ;)
  13. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Agreed, yes, but the current Simpsons writers couldn't have any less talent if they tried. We'd get more scenes of characters with funny voices saying funny things with funny accents, and not really being characters in their own right. Watch VMX and pay attention to Sam the Eagle. That was very close to what I'm talking about (referring to over use of lazy jokes about Cletus, Ralph, and Sideshow Mel saying random lines for a cheap laugh).

Anyway-

That's what I got out of it as well. The casting of Ashanti in OZ pretty much was for that group. I could get on a huge rant about it, but you know my feelings about those shows now. it seems like the only thing Disney wants to focus on, and it disappoints me to no extent. Cheesy, terrible, cliched sitcoms that make Full House blush, with horrible fake pop music. I remember how the Monkees were almost publically stoned (biblical death sentence, not the other thing) for not playing their own instruments. Unfortunately, that garbage is popular.

I feel Disney has a wonderful catelogue of wonderful things they don't need to mess with for the lowest common denominator. They do not need to use poor covers of classic songs by prefab bands, and commercials using classic film footaged altered to have fart jokes (which were considered blasphemy in the 1960's) to sell timeless films like 101 Dalmations (the good, animated 60's one).

I have to disagree. I actually hate hearing something like that. We're Muppet fans. We have to know that puppets aren't all kiddy entertainment. I think the new Henson Alternative projects are really showing promise for older groups. We wouldn't see this type of thing in the muppets, because it doesn't fit in with them. They can be adult, but it's a certain kind of sophisticated adult feel to them. You wouldn't see them put any kind of that into a scripted project anymore than you'd see Sesame Street characters acting like those horrible youtube videoes in their own show.

But does that mean we have to ban that attitude forever from Henson? No. look at the SNL skits (thought they weren't written by them). I feel that they intend for an older audience, while making something completely different for kids. I respect people's views on respectibility on TV, but just as long as they respect my opinion that if things are done artistically, and not for shock value, they have a place for everyone else.

That said, I'm gonna just sit by and wait until we find out what exactly these 2 intend to do with the Muppet Script. Rest assured, there is a chance it won't sell, and won't go into production. it's just a script, and not even written at this point. Anything could happen, positive or negative.

A script is just a script until someone picks it up and okays it, and it goes into preproduction. Then and only then do you have a project. Remember how many Muppet Scripts were floating around, unproduced? I'm not trying to be negative at all here. I'm just stopping this from becoming:

(Post- dated 3/200:cool:
    "YAY! A new muppet script!"

(post- Date 6 /2009-)
    "So, what's happening with ___________?"

(post - date 6/2010)

"Disney's screwing the fans again because ___________ went unproduced" (followed by 2 more years of hating and hyping up projects that don't exist).
  14. heralde

The thing is, and I think you said this, there is a difference between adult humor and sophomoric humor trying to sound adult. And the classic Muppets have been straying a little too close to the latter lately. Muppet fans do realize that they weren't just for the kids. But the risque jokes used to be more grown up than they sometimes are now. I think that's what's upsetting some fans.
  15. TheJimHensonHour

The thing is you guys keep going on about Nay-sayers about 2 guys working on the movie, doesn't really seem anyone has a problem with them. What it seems is that people have a problem with Disney and they want Disney to prove to them that they can do a good job with the Muppets.
    No one is showing what Disney has been doing that's good but instead going on and on about these 2 new guys, which no one seems to really have a problem with because they don't really know much about them.
    And like most people I'm not worried about the 2 new guys I'm worried about the big mouse and it's big white gloved thumb coming down on them to place people like Mizz Montanna in the movie, etc.
    Quite frankly I just want their suits to back off and let these 2 guys go to town with our fine foamy friends.
  16. heralde

Yeah I mean, I don't know anything about these guys, so I'm not really commenting on them. I was a little uphappy with the projects even before Disney, but it's just that Disney is the one holding the ball now and has to prove itself, heh.
  17. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Wow that sounds to me like this is going to be great! I don't think writeing the script will take that long, but the thing that will take the longest is the rebuilding of the Muppets if you know what i mean. I'm sure there are some that are in need of repair.

He really seems to be pasionet about this movie don't you think?
  18. The 11th UrRu

The 11th UrRu Member

I hear what your saying when you talk about hating hearing something like that, I understand that and I dont blame you. Thing is things are changing, the companys changing, theres some transition pains here I think and thats going to bring up questions from the fans...I think the company itself has a very scattered vision, Ive been over that in the fantasy world forums for those who pop over there every now and then. I think the company is clearly trying to find their Identity in whats obviously a new Henson era. I believe the original poster is right on the money, let things move on and be happy that the Muppets are clearly in better hands, Disneys in top form, its a good thing for us if you ask me.

Thats fair enough, although I dont agree with the promise myself. I will also agree with your last point here although I will still continue to question why the "come watch tinsletown!" and "meet the skrumps" banner links are right beside each other on henson.com... its just another reason why I just dont think they got their stuff together right now and are out of touch with their fan base. Things are way to jumbled and unorganized. I love the company, always have, always will, but I think for the forseeable future theres alot to work on and accomplish on their end...
  19. TheJimHensonHour

Perhaps to promote unity and to show that Henson aren't closed minded and never have been? I don't know really...*shruggs*
  20. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I still think the Oz nipple joke was funny, harmless and it flew by. I thought such a mountain was made out of a Tin Thing.

My problem with Oz (Ashanti aside) was the lack of spectacle. There was so much in the corners that I thought would have made for a better richer scope, but they took the fork down the pedestrian avenue of the yellow brick road. Maybe it was a budget thing.

I liked OZ okay, but there seemed to be something missing. I don't think that there's one minute of that film that can compare with any given minute of the low budget sketches on muppets.com. That is what gives me hope.

I have felt that the Muppets are doing too many specific remakes rather than the genre remakes of the classic trilogy – the road-to movie, the thief/caper and the New York/Broadway-bound film. Now it is remakes of Scrooge, Treasure Island, Wizard of Oz, It’s a Wonderful Life and even trying to spin off The Muppet Movie a little with Swamp Years. I can’t tell you what Muppets from Space was, but it appears to have been a good film that was slaughtered by too much meddling by careless executives.

That was the film that should have been, now we just might get that with this new offering. I won’t swallow whatever’s out there and say it’s great, but I am going into it with an open and hopeful mindset.

One type of film I’d like to see the Muppets do would be an old-style gangster period picture with many parodies and cameos of that genre. Kind of like the Muppet Show cast in Dog City. Not that this is what that is, but I think it would play well. The public likes gangster movies and the Muppets have always been skilled at skirting the gun issue in their plots.

I'm thinking this new project will be young and fresh while keeping the Muppets' classic mystique intact. It appears that these guys are fans. That could be a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.