The Muppet Show - Zoot Endings

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Tooth,

Rowlf plays the whole theme tune and then once he has played the last note Him and Nigel both look at the camera.

See ya

anathema

Reaction score
In my copy, the very last shot is actually of the EM on the backstage set looking at the camera, with an obviously stuffed Kermit puppet waving from the bannister over the exit. This fades out and the JHP logo is tacked on.

anathema

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
Sorry, Warrick -- don't know the answer to your question, since I don't have originial copies of the episodes (except for the aforementioned Star Wars ending). I do know (and this will answer your question, Alex) that Zoot was changed at least twice -- there are the two different versions used in Season One, as Warrick originally noted, and there's at least one later one where Zoot is, in fact, wearing his hat.

I never figured out what the consistency is (if there is any) in how JHC decided which Zoot clip to use. I should double-check my DVDs and see if it's related to the season or not.
Yeah, but these are more likely to have been later changes as the company name and copyright holder changed. There was a standard sequence of shots (changed between seasons) which made up the end credits, and it's pretty unlikely that it got re-edited mid-season (those one-offs excepted). All the shows were produced by ATV, so in theory they should all have carried the ATV/ITC logos on first broadcast. Chances are the shot was first changed when Henson obtained the copyright from ATV, and has been updated as the company name changed.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Oh yeah sorry, That is a great shot aswell !
With Kermit frantically waving !

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Alex, I think you're getting confused about what I'm saying. While I did talk about the re-edits in the later paragraphs, my first paragraph is all about the ITC ending. I remember specifically the Zoot-with-hat ending from watching it as a child and from my friend's Star Wars tape. The two versions that Warrick described also both had the ITC logo on them.

Also, I'm very confused -- everyone keeps talking about an episode where the EM left the theater. What episode is that? I know there was an episode where they threatened to leave the theater, but they changed their mind by the end of the show. The storyline is shown in The Muppet Show Book. So what happened? Why did the writers have them leave and not come back, since they WERE back in later episodes? Did they continue the story in the next episode? That would seem particularly odd to me, since they knew that the episodes would be shown out of order. If someone could please clear up the mystery for me.

Thanks,

anathema

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
Alex, I think you're getting confused about what I'm saying. While I did talk about the re-edits in the later paragraphs, my first paragraph is all about the ITC ending. I remember specifically the Zoot-with-hat ending from watching it as a child and from my friend's Star Wars tape. The two versions that Warrick described also both had the ITC logo on them.
Actually they both had the 'ATV' logo on the previous shot.

I'm not disputing that more than one shot was used, I just don't see them using multiple shots _within_ the same season. The second one Warrick mentioned from season 1 carries the 'HIT' copyright rather than the 'ITC' one, meaning that it's a later re-edit, at which point the shot was evidently changed. I've also seen a variant on this where the bubble contains 'ha!'.

Also, I'm very confused -- everyone keeps talking about an episode where the EM left the theater. What episode is that? I know there was an episode where they threatened to leave the theater, but they changed their mind by the end of the show. The storyline is shown in The Muppet Show Book. So what happened? Why did the writers have them leave and not come back, since they WERE back in later episodes? Did they continue the story in the next episode? That would seem particularly odd to me, since they knew that the episodes would be shown out of order. If someone could please clear up the mystery for me.

Thanks,

Kaye Ballard. I don't think any explanation was given for the band's return - the show wasn't big on continuity :smile: I've seen various running orders from different countries and channels, none of which are consistent, but I've never found an 'official' order.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

My episode with 'HIT!' is a Dutch episode with Dutch Subtitles.
Im thinking that any of the episodes that were subtitled or dubbed may have the 'HIT!' endnig, Or thats what it was intended for.

Because it stands for 'Henson International Television'.

Any more thoughts ?

anathema

Reaction score
My German-dubbed copies have the ITC logo on them.