Meet Leela, Sesame Street’s newest cast member

Erine81981

Reaction score
Maybe there'll be something like the laundromat place around the corner or something like that.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
How exciting! It's been quite some time since there's been a new member of the human cast! Thanks for the report Phil!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Did I read right? Did it say that Leela is the shows first indian character? What about Buffy?

ISNorden

Reaction score
Did I read right? Did it say that Leela is the shows first indian character? What about Buffy?

Buffy is Native American; Leela is Indian as in "from India". (I'm not trying to be politically correct here, but it does get confusing when the same name is used for two unrelated ethnic groups.)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently, Buffy was Indian as in "Native-American", while Leela is Indian as in from the country of India.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The reason this country was created was so people could live any way they like as long as the abide by the law. And if you have a problem with it then you have every right to that too. It's a a free country... You can be who you are.

If you celebrate St. Patrick's Day, that is an Irish tradition and one that America adopted as well. Most things in this country that are considered American have originated from somewhere else. Bob celebrates his Scottish heritage as well as other cast members theirs, but their all American do you even know that she was even said she was even born in India? If that's the case, then how could she "go back" if she was never even from their in the first place?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Yeah, Buffy was First Nations.

I was so excited to hear about this news. I checked out the article; the actress (whose real name is Nitya; she is just using Leela as her character's name) looks so cute and friendly! And as far as I know, Indian culture hasn't been directly explored before, so this is really cool. :excited:

Sesame Street is all about acceptance and understanding people, and living in harmony. It is everything the muppets, Jim Henson, and Sesame Street stand for.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
"Leela" isn't exactly a common name in the United States (any more than "Kermit" or "Elmo" has been for years). So the first fictional character that comes to mind will be very different for preschoolers vs. adults who hear that name.
Well without meaning to drag anything on I doubt it will be that serious.

Maria and Luis are common Spanish names so I doubt it's gonna mean all that much to the youngsters.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree, I remember that the first time I ever heard the names Maria and Luis was probably on Sesame Street. And it was just normal after that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's always amazing to see new talent on Sesame Street. I'm really becoming a fan of last season's new member, Chris. I can't wait to see how this new blood is going to interact with some of the most famous characters in the world.

And I feel it's important to teach the culture of a country like India, which is a very up and coming economic power. It's important to show countries are full of different people, not just political ideas and economic power. Especially since a generation learned about India's culture from a certain stereotypical Simpsons character... :rolleyes: