Meet Leela, Sesame Street’s newest cast member

ISNorden

Reaction score
He was referring to Futurama, where Leela, one of the lead characters, is a sexy one-eyed alien who captains a delivery spaceship. Quite different from this Leela! :coy:
I'm a "she", but yes--I was indeed referring to the Leela from Futurama. As for the generation gap, I was thinking: "Adults hear that name and think 'one-eyed spaceship captain'; their kids hear it and think 'lady from India running a laundromat'." Not a big deal, but still a generation gap...akin to the confusion I felt when TV producers named a certain purple dinosaur "Barney", after I grew up with the Flintstones.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not a big deal, but still a generation gap...akin to the confusion I felt when TV producers named a certain purple dinosaur "Barney", after I grew up with the Flintstones.
Sonsidering he was almost a bear, I hate to think of what would happen to the likes of Yogi, Balloo, and a certain unfunny comic we all know :embarrassed: .

So, outside of this, is there any info as to what the new curriculum is going to focus on? If we were running betting odds, I'd say Environmentalism. It seems as fashionable as the whole healthy thing did a couple years ago when SS focused on that.

I want to hear of TV parodies, myself. And what celebs are going to appear on the new season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not a big deal, but still a generation gap...akin to the confusion I felt when TV producers named a certain purple dinosaur "Barney", after I grew up with the Flintstones.
And let's not forget Barney Fife from The Andy Griffith Show!:wink:

To tell you the truth, whenever I develop original characters, this is the reason why I always try to give my characters names you don't hear very often, or I'm pretty sure there isn't a major fictional character who already has the name.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I'm a "she", but yes--I was indeed referring to the Leela from Futurama. As for the generation gap, I was thinking: "Adults hear that name and think 'one-eyed spaceship captain'; their kids hear it and think 'lady from India running a laundromat'." Not a big deal, but still a generation gap...akin to the confusion I felt when TV producers named a certain purple dinosaur "Barney", after I grew up with the Flintstones.
Yeah, two very different Barneys! That's a good example. I'm trying to think of others, but I can't really come up with any.

And I'm sorry for calling you a boy! This forum doesn't have gender identifiers on the profile, so it happens way more than it should. :embarrassed:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's another I can think of...

In the 60s, two popular shows on the air were Hogan's Heroes and Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.: both shows had a character named Carter, and both of those Carters were the rank of Sergeant, so there were two "Sergeant Carter"s on TV at the same time back in those days.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If they've just released a photo that clearly means we'll be hearing a lot more in days to come.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Speaking of generation gaps . . .

I've been neglecting my Muppet Central reading lately, so I read through this entire thread today. And when I came to the first comment about the different Leelas, I immediately thought, Oh, yes, that's right, Dr. Who.

On one season of the original Dr. Who, the Doctor had a companion named Leela, a cavewoman-type who ran around in a relatively scanty leather leotard offering to attack people with her knife.

(Surely I'm not the only one at MC geeky enough to have watched Dr. Who?)

By the way, I have never watched an episode of Futurama.