Saturday Morning memories thread

Xerus

Reaction score
And now here's all the Sat. Morning shows ABC had to offer over the years. I really liked a lot of stuff on this network back then before Disney bought ABC and tampered with it. I loved Kid Power, The Osmonds, Lidsville, Schoolhouse Rock, Yogi's Gang, Uncle Croc's Block, Time For Timer, Laff-A-Lympics, Pac Man, Captain O.G. Readmore, Beetlejuice, and Bump in the Night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIPqoeIDNpo&feature=related

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And now here's all the Sat. Morning shows ABC had to offer over the years. I really liked a lot of stuff on this network back then before Disney bought ABC and tampered with it. I loved Kid Power, The Osmonds, Lidsville, Schoolhouse Rock, Yogi's Gang, Uncle Croc's Block, Time For Timer, Laff-A-Lympics, Pac Man, Captain O.G. Readmore, Beetlejuice, and Bump in the Night.

And Sonic the "SatAM" Hedgehog too, eventually. Dratted dueteronomies to the new ABC president who used the popularity of a top-grossing product in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers to "justify" his unqualified axing of the best dang Sonic cartoon to ever exist (and I say this, because unlike Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog & Sonic X, Sonic "SatAM" never used formulas from other companies--Warner Brothers--or post-modern "hip" stylings badly ported over from another country to get over, as it stood on its own and used its own merit to become a hit sensation [not to mention that the storyline for the darker series was more realistic in terms of Sonic's character as a kick-butt hero, as opposed to a cross-dressing morality preacher or a lazy laughingstock with cliche anime tricks as his character backdrop])! :frown:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score

I used to watch Pac Man years after it originally aired. I heard that ABC would keep their Saturday morning cartons for no more than two years at a time. With a few exceptions of course.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I gotta admit. Looking back, I don't think I liked most of anything from the 1970's. I've said this before, but cartoons were a wash in cloning Archie or Scooby Doo (who, incidentally was intended as a knockoff of the Archie in its earliest incarnation), cartoonifying pointless fads du jour (CB Bears), and sitcom based cartoons be they legit (Jeannie, The Brady Kids) or flavorless knockoffs (the Oddball Couple, The BArkleys, etc).

In that era, Hanna Barbera, Filmation, and DePatie Freling made some pretty lousy stuff. Though there were great things like Fat Albert and Hong Kong Phooey.

When it comes to eras in animation, I especially loved the 60's, the late 80's, and most of the 90's. When Fox and WB were starting up their own kids networks, giving the main three a run for their money, that was amazing. I remember three programs I loved being opposite each other half the time.

I really hope this is just a slump in animation history, and not the end of it.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Ditto. And maybe, Disney getting back on the ball is just the start of an animation relaunch.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's a slump and that they'll return to their true form again like they once were.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey, once kids wise up and realize how formuliac, unappealing, and unwatchable Hannah Montanna and the like are, then we'll have a grand come back. But until then, we get 2 companies now bothering to make cartoons at all.